“Nice hotel - overpriced!”

Myrtle Beach Marriott Resort & Spa at Grande Dunes
Ranked #14 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
“Nice hotel - overpriced!”
Reviewed July 2, 2012 via mobile

The rooms are small and not worth the rate. However the location is the best on Myrtle Beach with excellent pools and easy access to the beach. One restaurant for dinner for children and one restaurant for breakfast with an excellent brunch.

• Stayed July 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (298)
Greenville, South Carolina
Reviewed July 2, 2012

I chose to stay at the Marriott Resort at Grande Dunes, because the wedding that I flew in for was at a 3-star hotel a short distance away. This property is borderline dilapidated. The lobby is a great gathering place, but the carpet throughout this hotel looks like it is 10+ years old. We paid for an ocean front room at the tune of over $200 / night in the off season (early May 2012). Keep in mind I am a gold member, so this was likely a nicer version of the room. I was shocked when I walked in the door. The room was TINY. This 'upgraded' room is tinier than a run-down Courtyard property. The shower was old. The bathroom was tiny. Even the safe looked worn and unreliable. It rained on Sunday, and I could hear my neighbors on either side of the room. Even the carpets throughout the hotel were just...'yuck'. I think the property spent all of their money on the pool, which is nice. Being a businessman, the most important thing to me is a clean and modern room. Be prepared to park across the street and pay for the privilege. Trust me...if you have status and are use to Marriott properties, don't expect much out of this one.

Room Tip: 1) Don't expect much of any kind of upgrade if you are Gold or Platinum 2) Be prepared for an o...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Richmond, VA
Reviewed July 2, 2012

This was my first vacation using Marriott points and celebrating wedding anniversary. They sent us complimentary sparkling wine and chocolate covered strawberries. Quick, super nice check in, they called when our room was ready..early!! Room very nice with view of ocean and pool. My only complaint was that we didn't have a balcony to sit on. Restaurant was good for dinner. We ate lunch every day at the pool cafe which was nice. Easy access to the ocean. You could pay for chairs, but we brought our own. Very nice bar, but too bad children weren't allowed after 8PM or we would have sat outside for drinks and late dinner. Every staff member (check in, valet, bartenders, pool servers) we spoke with was excellent! Always willing to help and very friendly. We had a wonderful time!!

Room Tip: Balcony rooms would be better
Columbus
Reviewed July 1, 2012

The hotel was clean and the staff were excellent. However the rooms you get do not have a balcony for the most part. I used my Marriott points and did not get much of a deal on a room with a view. There will be no view of the sun as it rises as all of the rooms that face the ocean are facing to the south east. (See attached pic's) There are a handful of rooms that have balconies and face the ocean directly. If this is important to you, be advised. The pool area was nice, with the typical expensive fare at the restaurant/bar that serves the pool area. My wife did the spa and liked it. You can get free coffee every morning at the restaurant if you just ask.

Room Tip: Try for an oceanfront view- but they do not give them to you if you are using your Marriott points...
1 Thank EvilDad
virginia
Reviewed June 23, 2012

This hotel was great..stayed here on a reward stay and much to my delight I was greater to an ocean front upgrade! Although our stay was short and a normal visit the avg price of $350 plus per night would push my budget, this place was great...Great service, nice room, easy access to beach, great pools and an easy ride into main Myrtle strip... Will definitely consider pushing the budget to stay here again!

2 Thank bospat
Falls Church, Virginia
Reviewed June 21, 2012

I am platinum Marriott - which simply means I stay at a lot of Marriotts...

We own a Vacation Villa in Hilton Head Surfwatch and to date our favorite stay has been the Oceanwatch in Myrtle Beach. Due to it being sold out - we came for 3 night stay to the adjecent Marriott Property.

What can I say - it exceeded every expectation.

First we have small kids and last trip they most enjoyed the slide / pools on the vacation villas side. I did not know the Resort side's pools and SLIDE was much better. There is no where in the Resorts webpage but in small text that it says the slide exists. All is all, they had amazing hours of fun - super friendly lifeguards.

Rooms were average to above average - not as nice as villas but beds were great - staff was very hardworking... rooms were spacious so that was a plus.

Common and resort area - is way above average... there is a WATER SLIDE, basketball court, ping pong and other games outdoor.. super cool grassy hammock area & indoor game room with like 8 tvs all hooked up to wii and xbox360 with fooseball table. Kids loved it..

We also received 4 free platinum breakfast passes - thanks! And a view upgrade!

All in all - hey in comparision this place does not miss a beat in comparision to the vacation villas! We were very happy and appreciative of this beautiful hotel in very fun Myrtle Beach..

Thanks Marriott!

Room Tip: Pools are awesome ! THERE IS A BIG SLIDE FOR THE KIDS.. Pools are awesome... beach front is super...
4 Thank JMJ_Flight
Charlotte, nc
Reviewed June 20, 2012

The location of the hotel is great. They have plenty of chairs available for rent on the beach in front of the hotel. Both Chris and Sherry, the life guards, are AWESOME! They are so good with the kids and do a GREAT job at the water slide.

Now, the bad. The hotel charges $10 for parking your own car. I get that in a major city but $10 for a parking deck in Myrtle Beach? Give me a break! Also, the food & drink at the pool are WAY overpriced. Some examples.... Soda $2.95, can of beer $5.25 (it's about $1 at the nearby Lowes Foods), Kids hot dog $6.50...I can buy 2 packs of hot dogs for less! While there's something to be said for convenience at the pool side location, a beer mark up of 500% is over the top. Apparently the servers pick and choose the "willing buyers." I was passed many times while the servers would go out of their way to cater to other "clients."

Don't pay for internet! It's $12.95 per night and it's VERY SLOW! I got speeds almost as fast using 3G.

Room Tip: Pick a room with a lower number - it's closer to the beach.
3 Thank traveldave99