“nice pictures online but bad unit”
Review of Myrtlewood Villas

Myrtlewood Villas
Reviewed September 22, 2013

The property was great looking from the out side but the units are not kept up! The carpet was dirty and the sheets looked very dingy! We had to go and buy pillows because they were so flat and looked dirty!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank tweety51

Reviewed September 16, 2013

Upon entering the beautiful community and even entering the unit we were assigned, we were impressed with the Myrtlewood Villas. The grounds are beautiful and picturesque. The unit was great for accomodating our family of four. The two bedroom, two bath, full kitchen, dining area and livingroom with patio facing a beautiful golf course was almost as good as being in our own apartment.

Our weekend stay was nice, but once we settled in, we were not happy with the overall housekeeping. The furnishings in the unit that we stayed were not so much outdated but worn. Spare blankets were not folded, the carpet was dirty, vents were caked with dust, and the screen to the sliding door was splattered with who knows what. Our mistake was in thinking that reporting these issues to guest services would make a difference. I will say that the staff was nice and helpful where they could be. It wasn't until we reported that the TV and DVD player in the livingroom did not work that we realized that there is a difference in timeshare rentals versus big named hotel rental. Property repair issues often have to get the approval from the owner. Thank goodness there were two other TV's in the unit.

Although the unit had all the comforts of home, we did not feel very comfortable walking around barefoot or even sleeping in the beds. The kingsized bed in the master bedroom was two twin mattresses with a cushion wedge to cover the seam. That made the middle of the bed a little uncomfortable. When we left, I felt like we needed to take a long hot shower and wipe our bodies down with alcohol clothes.

I am a little hesitant about recommending Myrtlewood Villas because of the housekeeping. However, I did enjoy the setup and space. I loved the livingroom with television concept for family time (even though our television didn't work) and the separate bedrooms. The price was right, the property was lovely and the pool and fitness room were adaquate. The Villa was close enough to all the attractions, plenty of shopping, and within 2 miles of the beach. I did not check the Tripadvisor reviews before going because this place was booked for us. So, I would not blatently say don't book this place, I would just say "Beware".

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank ronajona
Reviewed September 11, 2013 via mobile

this is the second time I have stayed here for a golf trip with friends. Each time it has been the ideal accommodations. Centrally located to literally everything. This will be our place to meet for years to come.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Paul W
Reviewed September 9, 2013

I was very impressed with Myrtlewood Villas. We decided to give it a try versus the normal hotel style.
Check in was a little chaotic on a Friday afternoon, but the staff was nice. We received a nice 2bed/2 bath fully furnished condo with washer/dryer. The unit was on the first floor and had a golf course view. Broadway at the Beach was only a 5 minute drive.

Booked through Orbitz.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

My initial impression upon arrival at Myrtlewood was disappointing. As previously stated by other guests, it's a crapshoot what you 'll find in the way of accommodations when you arrive. Myrtlewood is a very large condo complex. I attempted to call the reservation desk on numerous occasions prior to arrival; I was never able to reach a live receptionist - their answering system is pretty much automated and when you finally reach a prompt to leave a message (I think messages are recorded in a netherworld) don't hold your breath waiting to hear back. I left three messages and received zero return calls.

My initial condo rental was three flights up (not fun when you're hauling luggage and foodstuffs). Upon entering the rental, the first problem encountered was the discovery of an 85 degree indoor temperature. The AC was not working. The remaining issues were dirty rugs, aging furniture, less than clean bathrooms and bedroom fans that were inoperable.

I will say maintenance was quick to arrive and pronounced the unit DOA. We were assigned to a new condo unit on the 4th floor in a newer section of the development (which mercifully had an elevator). There was no comparison in quality and cleanliness. The new unit was tastefully decorated and immaculately clean. So, as previously stated, when you reserve a condo in this development you don't know what you're going to get until you arrive.

Our visit had a happy ending and was centrally located to areas we wanted to visit. However, its' location for beach going could be an iffy proposition based on beach parking fees. They ain't cheap - especially if you go every day.

There is one little detail about driving in Myrtle Beach that isn't in the tour books; there are no left hand turn signals on the main highways. When you enter a left turn lane there are no lights to control when you can actually turn left. It's a game of chicken (and a prayer). It's quite an experience. The locals just shrug and say "welcome to South Carolina". Go figure.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank obliv82
Reviewed September 6, 2013

I have stayed at Myrtlewood Villas for the past three years. I have had a range of really plush accommodations with hardwoods and granite countertops to green carpet and Formica countertops. All in all I have enjoyed staying here due to Great Central Location your 20 minutes from everything you need, Nice layouts and always a great price, peaceful most of the time.

Room Tip: always nice when you get a bottom floor golf course view
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 2, 2013

This was the worst place I have ever stayed !!! I was in BLDG 4749, UNIT 302. First, the place was outdated, the coffee table leg in the living room was broken and when I moved the table the entire table fell over. The so called KING SIZE bed was two twin mattresses pushed together with egg crate foam in between them, and the mattresses was worn with dips in them. The living room sofa and chair must have come from GOODWILL because they was so old and dirty when I sat down on the sofa I sank to the floor as if was no bottom to the sofa. The upholstery had food and liquid stains on them as if someone had had a food fight. The carpet was dirty and there was dead bugs laying around and a big dead bug hanging from the ceiling. And this was'nt the worst part, Checked in at 4PM and checked out at 7:30 PM because the so called maintanence crew had come into the room twice. The first guy came in saying that he had a request that three glasses from the kitchen was missing so he bought three glasses there with his dirty hands inside the the glasses. About an hour later, another guy come to the room and before I could get to the door he was inside the condo, saying that he needed to replace a freaking light bulb. I made him leave and called the front office. After checking in, my wife and I went to Food Lion, and when we come back my wife felt as if someone had been inside the place because our bags had been moved from where we placed them. At this point we felt VERY UNCOMFORTABLE for our SAFETY. There was no security locks on the door. So they came come inside when ever they feel. Anyway, after calling the front office and reporting these incidences they acted as if it was normal for maintanence to come inside your unit anytime they wanted. So I checked out 3 hrs. after checking in. Luckily, I had booked the room with EXPEDIA and they had collected the money for the property and after explaining what had happened they gave us a FULL REFUND and we went to stay at the SHERATON. Thanks EXPEDIA !!!!!!

Room Tip: Go stay at the SHERATON, A little more money but well worth it !!!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple