“Adequate amenities, reasonably priced.”

Boardwalk Beach Resort
Ranked #153 of 207 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed August 6, 2013

After reading several negative reivews, I feel inclined to point out that you get what you pay for. This is an ocean front hotel that is reasonably priced, in a prime location. The pools were clean, as well as our room and elevator. The housekeeping staff was friendly and helpful when I asked for assistance in finding a luggage cart and restroom. Our room was adequately cleaned all four mornings. (One of the mornings the towels weren't replenished, but it was an oversight and easliy resolved). One reviewer was appalled that "you have to clean your own dishes." Well, yes, this is not the the Ritz, it's a hotel on the Myrtle Beach strip. We were steps from the well-maintained beach, and within walking distance from several restaurants. We jogged Ocean Blvd. in the mornings, and I never felt my safety was compromised. Good location, clean rooms, clean pools.

Room Tip: The King suites on the corners (main tower) are small, but private and quiet.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 5, 2013

We stayed two nights in this room, the musky smell almost made me sick.. The room appeared to be clean but under that musk there's no way that was possible. The furniture was ancient along with the tv. The lobby and elevators were also outdated. The air conditioner was very cool, service was ok and the location was great. I probably would not stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2013
3  Thank Sprincess
Reviewed July 31, 2013

We stayed in the 4 bedroom condo, we has problems from day one. The air units stop working and was never replaced so we were hot. The Condo's carpet was nasty, the manager only told us to check and he will refund our money for the further nights. I mean this is a HIGH PRICE MOTEL that needs to be shut down.

Room Tip: If you must stay here the main tower is your best bet but still nasty.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Justin W
Reviewed July 31, 2013

The hotel overall, the grounds and the pool are nice. The room on the 3rd floor I had was crappy. You could not see the beach or ocean for the palm trees blocking the view. The beds were hard, the dresser was broken, there were holes in the carpet. The room did come with a mini fridge and microwave which worked great. The room was clean. Housekeeping was friendly. I might be tempted to stay there again IF they replace the carpet in the rooms that need it, buy furniture that works and get new beds. Other guests in the hotel ( I stayed in the North Tower) said their rooms were fine.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 30, 2013

This resort has several buildings and we will NEVER stay in the South Tower II again, I don't know about the other buildings, but the south tower needs to be completely refurbished or torn down and a new building put in its place. The location is great, right on the beach, and the room had a decent floor plan for a family ( 2 rooms, 2 bathrooms, jacuzzi, 3 queen beds and a queen sleep sofa), beachside with balcony. The beds had flat bottom sheets that were too small for the mattresses. They did not fully cover the length of the mattresses and they were not wide enough to stay tucked in at night. By morning, we were sleeping directly on parts of the mattresses and I'm sure we weren't the first! The mattresses were low quality and showed signs of age (stains and low spots). Wallpaper in the bathroom was peeling off the wall. The kitchen cabinets were old, cracked, peeling, and drawers did not pull out properly on drawer slides.

• Stayed: July 2013
3  Thank MsMarilyn50
Reviewed July 30, 2013

This was one of the worst hotel experiences that I have ever encountered. The staff informed us upon our arrival, after we had already paid a deposit, that we owed our entire balance in cash as well as a $200 cash deposit. When asked where we could get that amount of cash from at 6:00pm on a Wednesday evening, the first option that the front desk staff gave was that he could cancel our reservation. The front desk staff were extremely rude and unreasonable to deal with. We were only able to get our deposit back on the day we checked out between the hours of 9am and 11am. Because we live 14 hours away, we had to leave at 5am so the hotel promised that we would get our deposit back within a few weeks.
The rooms were decent- although we did not get the one that was promised to us. You have to wash your own dishes- the front desk staff said to me "You can go to Dollar General and get dish soap for those."
When we finally left this awful hotel and the horrible people that they employed, we waited approximately 10 days for our deposit check to come in the mail. The check was written for $100 instead of $200 and the manager, Jennifer, accused me of not giving the correct amount to the staff. She very defensively cited the internal control by saying "The front desk staff only put the cash in the envelope and don't touch it after, so you didn't get them enough." Well, as it turns out, I am an accountant with specializations in internal controls so I nearly laughed at the extreme inadequacy of the procedure that she was describing. I am 100% confident that the staff were given $200 because I had to pay $20 in bank fees to take such a large sum from the ATM on the day that we checked in. Jennifer also informed me that my receipt (which I had signed and dated by a clerk on the day that we checked out) was invalid because "sometimes the staff just put $200 even when they accept $100 in cash." I was shocked that the hotel's general manager was so ignorant and rude. It has now been nearly 30 days and we are still waiting for the rest of the deposit to come. I would not recommend this hotel on any level, ever.
The low price was not enough to compensate for the rediculous actions of the employees of this establishment. I have traveled quite a bit for work and have never experienced such horrible customer service. This hotel is definitely not looking to attract repeat business.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms are the best- If you request one; however, you probably will not get the one that y...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Angela M
Reviewed July 27, 2013

I stayed at the resort this month with my family, July 15th to the 18th and I must say I was hesitant to stay after reading the reviews but My stay was not only pleasant, it was wonderful. The staff was very nice, especially "Wanda" The front desk clerk was so helpful. She went above and beyond for us. The rooms where nice, they were clean. We stayed in the North Tower, we had a balcony view Ocean View which was so lovely. I will defiantly stay here again.

Room Tip: I stayed in the North Tower. It was great!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family