“Great for budget vacation”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Long Bay Resort

Long Bay Resort
Ranked #38 of 207 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Toronto, Ontario
“Great for budget vacation”
Reviewed May 31, 2010

My family and I stayed here for six days. I was thrilled by our oceanfront view from our room. I was confused by the options of ocean view vs. oceanfront and called to speak to someone at the hotel to make sure we would get a view of the ocean from our room. The service was pretty good in that, I requested an oceanfront room but not on the ground floor and we lucked out because it was on the fourth floor and ready when we arrived (early because our flights were switched). The front desk was always very pleasant to deal with.

The rooms are outdated and need some work. While we were there, maintenance came to our room saying that they thought our bathroom was leaking to the floor below. I noticed the door to the bathroom looked as though it has been rotting as the bottom looked a bit chewed up.

The maids were pretty friendly and asked if we needed anything since we opted not to have our room cleaned every day. The guys who were doing construction or maintenance in the hotel were so nice! They helped me and my husband get our luggage and daughter in her stroller up the stairs to the parking area just because they saw us struggling with our stuff (because we had a lot - traveling with a young child always requires traveling with about half the household).

We only ate at the hotel restaurant once for breakfast. The buffet was good and cheap and the service was great. We chose not to eat there again only because we felt it would be healthier to eat some instant oatmeal in our room.

Pools were nice, however, the outdoor children's pool is often shaded and rather cold. Even though there were no smoking signs up, there were often people smoking while in the jacuzzis which were near the children's indoor pool and lazy river.

My only gripe about the hotel is that they really should consider having a business center for guests to use. My wireless card on my computer got fried for some reason and I was at a loss as to how to do a little bit of work that I had planned on doing. When I inquired about a business center, I was told they didn't have one and was given the suggestion to go to the public library to use one there.

Other than that, we had a great time here. We probably won't stay again because we found the hotel next door Ocean Reef to be so much nicer. We ended up staying at Ocean Reef for the last two days of our 8 day vacation because by the time we decided to stay a little longer, our room was no longer available. Luckily we were able to get an oceanfront room at Ocean Reef at the last minute.

I would recommend Long Bay for budget travelers. Location is great - close to Super Walmart, outlet mall, and Barefoot Landing and directly on the beach.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (544)
Tecumseh, MI
Reviewed May 25, 2010

My husband and I were in town for nearly a week. We wanted to just relax the whole vacation as he works 50-60 hrs a week, and I am full time student and work full time as well. We went before the rates shot up (before Memorial Day). We reserved our room ahead of time (a partial ocean view) from expedia.com. We got to our room, and there was something gross on the floor. Looked like a round pile of mud. We looked off the patio, and really didn't see much of the ocean, but mainly a large parking lot. The kitchen was really small galley style too. I called down to the desk and asked we be moved to a larger room. I asked what the difference would be, and they told us about $20 more a night. The desk manager argued a little with me about the price that I had found online. I wanted to go back to the car and get my laptop and show her, but my husband is so non-confrontational, I just paid the extra $85 for the 4 nights we'd be staying. I felt that for an additional $20 a night, I shouldn't have been charged since the first room was not very clean. The second room was a lot better. It was cleaner, a little larger, and actually faced the ocean. It also had a full size stove/oven (the first one didn't). It had a lot of small tight spaces in it. It felt like there were doors everywhere and they actually knocking into eachother and getting in the way. The rooms were good size, just poorly planned. And if you plan on getting a king size bed, forget it. We had to get 2 queen beds. And the rooms were quite outdated, but it was ok. They had decent size tv's and more than one. So I was happy with that. I did like the hotel's location. It was right on the beach. It would take just a minute to walk down. I didn't get to visit the pool, hot tub or lazy river, but they looked really inviting. If you plan on sitting on the beach, go and buy a folding chair for $10. The umbrellas with the chairs under them are all reserved through the hotel and you must pay for them.

The first morning we asked that housekeeping not clean the room since they came by at 9am. We weren't ready to leave. They had us sign something stating we didn't want it cleaned. The second day we needed more towels and such, so we had them clean it. There was some sand in the bed, so we were quick to notice when we returned, they didn't clean the sheets, but just made the bed. There was something on the pillow the day that we got there, so I used the one that I had from home and my husband used other ones they had. The housekeeper just put it back on the bed dirty.

The 3rd morning we were there the housekeeper made the bed, cleaned and everything with us in the room because we had returned early from shopping. She hardly spoke any English, but she did an excellent job.

Overall I was happy with the hotel. We chose Myrtle Beach so we wouldn't have to spend a ton of money, and it was within driving distance from Michigan. The price for the hotel was perfect, so with all my complaints, paying in the $70 range wasn't that bad. Had we paid full price for the rooms, I would have been more upset.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Virginia Beach, VA
Reviewed May 25, 2010

I just returned from my annual golf trip to Long Bay Resort in Myrtle Beach, SC. There were ten of us on this trip and we all had a great time. Our return to Long Bay Resort each year is an easy decision as we ALWAYS receive outstanding service from Barry and Joe in the Golf Reservations department to the resort's management team, J.R. and Jennifer, to the front desk staff to the on-site restaurant staff.
Our oceanfront condo suites are extremely roomy, comfortable, and stylish. After a great breakfast (included in our golf package) and morning of golf, one of our favorite things to do is lounge beside and in the large pool and hot tub. The amenities are many and the quality of our stay is exceptional.
My golfing group can be a hard to please bunch; but, one thing we ALL agree on is our decision to return, year after year, to Long Bay Resort...A quality resort with extraordinary service! Thank you, Long Bay Resort, for another outstanding stay!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
NYC
Reviewed May 25, 2010

Booked a week through their website on one of the "special" spring promotions. (Stayed the week of 5/21/10) Check-in was quick and efficient. Staff was friendly and accomodating. Liked the interior parking. Beach and pool accessible right out back. Room was exactly as advertised. All the features were in working order. If there was one complaint, I would say that the towels could use an upgrade. They've been in use for quite some time and need to be replaced. But in general, if given the opportunity, I would stay there again.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Milnesville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 19, 2010

We loved being here... The rooms were plenty big for our family of 5. Great being so close to the ocean. The pools were fantastic, except we like our pool water on the cooler side. That was our only problem, pool water too warm/hot.

Lexington, SC
Reviewed May 17, 2010

We loved this resort! It had everything we were looking for! Rain or shine we were sure to keep our family occupied. It is on the beach, has a heated indoor pool, indoor lazy river, and outdoor pools! The resort was very clean and the staff was very friendly! We visited off-season(early May) which meant the rooms were 1/2 price!! We stayed in an ocean front suite with a full kitchen which came in handy with cooking some of our own meals.
The only negative was that check-in wasn't until 3 p.m. We had a car loaded up with beach chairs, luggage, and a cooler and no where to park until we checked-in.
However, Check-out was at 11 a.m. and the resort let us use the facilities all day after check-out so that we were able to extend our vacation and spend the day at the beach and at the pool.
We will definitely be back!!

Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed May 17, 2010

I have been to this resort 3 times now and I am never disappointed, I usually book about 6-8 months in advance because you can literally save 30% and you really do. We go usually in late August or September and our room averages about $65 a night. That is for an efficiency. You cannot beat that. They are right on the beach and have a very nice set up with a huge outdoor pool, a lazy river, a kids pool area, a hot tub, and if im not mistaken an indoor pool. They have a laundry facility and a restaurant as well as a little cafe you can get all kinds of things from overlooking the pool area. There are always plenty of chairs. They have a spacious parking garage that you will be able to park on the level of your room (which is great with small children) and This is also a great location close to all of the main attractions and restaurants. You will not have to drive more than 15 minutes for anything. I have booked online through their site and never had a problem. The only thing I don't particularly like is you cant pay for your room in full up front unless you jump through hoops to do so, I can deal with that though. Couldn't recommend this place more!

• Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple