“Disappointed in Amentities”

Ranked #40 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Smyrna, Georgia
“Disappointed in Amentities”
Reviewed July 19, 2013

We were told that Long Bay was a family place and after spending the last few days there, I have to disagree.

There are plenty of things to do for children, but the pool area is not watched and it needs a good cleaning.
We were there July11 through the 14th and was glad to leave. The pool area is unguarded and the water was not crystal clear. The jacquizzi was worse. They have several and none of them were hot, but all were very dirty. Upon check in we were given bands to wear in the pool area.
Not once were our bands checked and not once, did we see any managemnt staff or any staff of Long Bay around the pool area. The people sitting next to us were not even staying at the hotel, but one downt he street and they came up to use the amenities and were never questionned.
At the pool bar which was very busy I do not think children should be able to sit there when alcohol is being served. This occured the whole time we were there.

There certainly are a lot of hotels in Myrtle and I think for our next family vacation we will look somewhere else.

2 Thank kandy m
Cesar C, Front Office Manager at Long Bay Resort, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you may have experienced in respect to the pool area. At Long Bay Resort, we take pride in ensuring our customer’s satisfaction. I apologize we did not meet your expectations. Should you have any further questions or comments regarding this matter, please feel free to contact me.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (558)
Reviewed July 18, 2013

Our family of 8 stayed in the Savoy building on the first floor, awesome view of the ocean, roomy and clean except for our sofa bed had not been cleaned it had food crums and candy papers in it called front desk and they claimed to call housekeeping but they never showed, had to go down myself to get it. Loved the private Parking and coded access to the building. The pools were nice and there was plenty of activities for the kids. Down fall was the customer service, front desk was rediculous!! They act as if you are a bother to them, very rude!!! There is only a 60% chance of a revisit.

1 Thank MsJones97
Cesar C, Front Office Manager at Long Bay Resort, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
Please let us apologize for the difficulties and inconvenience you experienced with the service provided by the front desk staff. At Long Bay Resort, we are in constant pursuit of perfection and are already working on solutions that will prevent similar problems from occurring in the future. I am happy to hear that you were able to enjoy the pools and the kids activities.
Reviewed July 17, 2013

We are currently at the Condo and the room itself is pretty run down and dated as well as the couch and chairs , the carpet is dirty and turns your feet black and did I mention the cobwebs and Spiders? It is a pretty roomy 3 bedroom with sitting /dining room and full kitchen and also came with a washer/dryer that would have been useful to us had it not been broken , our first night here we noticed that it was making a squealing sound and contacted the front desk who sent someone down to check
It out , did not hear from the front desk so when we called the next morning , we were told that a repairman was coming on the day that we were checking out and they offered to give us money to use the on site laundry room - here's the problem , we paid $$$ for a condo with washer/dryer , either fix it , move us to a unit that has a working washer/dryer or offer something for the inconvenience . None of the above we're even offered...it's pretty sad how businesses are today compared how they were some time ago .

2 Thank JSFeliciano
Cesar C, Front Office Manager at Long Bay Resort, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
It is with great concern and regret I received your comment outlining the problem you had with our service regarding the washer and dryer. I apologize for the inconvenience that this may have caused to you. We are actively working to improve service levels and your feedback has proved to be invaluable. Should you have any further questions or comments regarding this matter, please feel free to contact me.
West Columbia, South Carolina
Reviewed July 15, 2013

We booked an "ocean view suite" upon arrival we were given a 2nd floor room which provided no ocean view at all, and was directly in the path of housekeeping. They had their cart in front of our door the first time we tried to get in, and the second time were vacuuming right outside of our door. When we realized we were going to be disturbed by the employees right outside our door all weekend, we went to the front desk in order to change rooms. We met Jennifer (night Manager) and were told us there were no rooms available, but we could move the following day at 11:00 a.m. She was very gracious and gave us breakfast as well. We went back to the room to unpack and housekeeping was loud and very noticeable outside the door until about 4:30.

The next morning we went to breakfast and stopped by the front desk just to make sure a room wasn't ready and it wasn't. The guy assured us he would call us. We went down by the pool and sure enough he called so my boyfriend went to move our things. Apparently this took some time since he had to move everything himself from the 2nd to the 16th floor. The new room was nice and we did appreciate being moved to an actual ocean view! Later in the evening we got in the hot tub (square one) it wasn't very hot. The water pouring in was cold actually, and didn't seem like many of the jets were working. We talked to people who had tried the round ones and they also weren't hot. We did let the front desk know in passing that the hot tubs weren't warm. When I got back to the room to shower I took off my swimsuit and I had junk and debris all over my chest and stomach from the hot tub. It was pretty gross. I got in the shower and noticed half way thru the water wasn't draining....and there was little pressure from the spray so I was beginning to wonder if the tub would overflow before I could get my hair rinsed. I got out and told my boyfriend if he was getting in the shower we better call maintenance. It was getting late he said he'd look at it. Pulled out a huge glob of hair/junk in the drain.

Monday afternoon we are at the pool and I notice a couple a little "too close" together in the pool (5 feet) I observed in a few minutes that they were having sex (she was on top of him for far too long) I saw the pool attendant and when he got around to me I was going to tell him. He must have gotten side tracked because he never got back around to us. This woman then lit a cigarette so she is smoking and there is sex in the pool. The woman then comes over to us and says "I'm glad I'm leaving, this is my last night" I'm like "really? why?" She says "Those people are having sex in the pool, disgusting". By this point they were done. Didn't ever see the pool guy, but did report it to the front desk. That night we thought we'd try the hot tub again, still not hot.

Had dinner at the hotel restaurant (Martins) Dinner was going along OK we did look up and realize we were sitting under 2 filthy air vents - for an upscale restaurant, they really need to make sure their facilities are maintained. The filters looked like they had been up for 2 years. Breakfast..we hoped would be better, the service was terrible. I didn't even get a drink until I was finished eating. No waitress the entire time. We were seated and not even brought water. Everything I needed I had to get off other tables or ask other guests for.

In short, its a lovely resort, but our experience didn't reflect that. From the room issues, to watching people have sexual encounters, to non working hot tubs, it all added up to a not so great trip.

Room Tip: Dont' book ocean view unless you are getting a really high floor. Probably just pay the extra f...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Karyn H
Words cannot express how truly sorry we are for the anxiety, frustration and inconvenience that we caused to you and your family. We appreciate your feedback as we always strive for perfection, taken steps to ensure that this will never happen again. At Long Bay Resort, we take pride in ensuring our customer’s satisfaction and I apologize we did not meet your expectations. Should you have any further questions or comments regarding this matter, please feel free to contact me.
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed July 15, 2013

We knew check in time was at 3pm but our plans had us arriving earlier so we contacted the hotel around 11am the morning of check in to see if we would be able to check in earlier. We were told that we could not. So we delayed our arrival until 2:50pm. Parking for check in is located in the front of their parking garage and parking spaces are tight and few. Be careful as traffic is terrible during check in time and all guests use this entrance to the garage for every floor. I entered the hotel lobby where several other people were milling around. I walked up to the front desk and gave my name and asked to check in. The woman behind the counter took my credit card, charging the balance of my room and gave me several pieces of paper -- a parking pass, a book with local attractions, a certificate for a free package at the concierge, along with rubber bracelets that we were to wear at all times while on the premises. I asked for the room number and key but was told that I would have to come back at 3pm for those. It was 2:55pm by now and I pointed that out but she simply said that I could not get my room assigned or keys distributed prior to 3pm. I walked back to my car to the VERY congested reservation parking area where cars were piling up. My husband went back in at 3:05pm and was told that he could not be checked in because our room was not ready. He waited...with about 50 others in the quickly shrinking lobby area. After striking up conversations with several other guests, some of which traveled by car for over 12 hours, he found that they had all been told the same thing! We had to wait until about 4:45pm before finally receiving a room/keys AFTER my husband flagged down a manager. He noticed that the office staff were calling out names of people whose rooms were ready but who were not in attendance/in the lobby, while those that were there were being told their rooms were not ready. The office staff were blaming the no availability issue on the housekeeping staff. My husband asked the manager why the office staff weren't reassigning the available rooms to those waiting? The manager went to a computer and after some digging started reassigning rooms. We nor any of the other guests were offered any compensation in return for this inconvenience. My husband did bring this issue up during check out and requested a $100 refund, which they did grudgingly grant. Poor training equals poor service, which you'll get in abundance at this hotel!

Room Tip: There are actually 3 sets of buildings that make up this hotel. One original, taller building and t...
5 Thank Kim B
On behalf of Long Bay Resort, I would like to personally apologize for your inconvenience you may have experienced in respect to the check in time. We accept full responsibility for the inconvenience and I assure you we are taking the necessary steps to prevent it from happening in the future. If you have any questions or comments regarding this matter, please feel free to discuss it with me.
Durham, North Carolina
Reviewed July 12, 2013

We made reservations in February, asking for adjoining rooms for our family and my son's family. Thought we had made reservations for suites (with a functional kitchen) but, when we arrived, we had two rooms, on different floors, with two queen beds, a kitchen with a sink, microwave and a mini frig. To make matters worse, these rooms were in the oldest part of the complex with high, four stories with high rises built on either side. To get to this area, you had to go down a separate set of stairs, no elevator access. Had to pull down an extra hotel luggage carrier down the steps and transfer the luggage and coolers to it. The air conditioner was broken but the repairmen went above and beyond to get a new unit. The receptionist and manager were apologetic but could not find another available room. The pools were murky, the beach access was great. We won't be using the "one night free" voucher we were told that we would be receiving.

Room Tip: Be sure you get specifics about your room before you hang up with reservations. The confirmation wen...
2 Thank Mary P
Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you may have experienced in respect to the features in your room and the locations. At Long Bay Resort, we are very serious about our customer’s satisfaction and we work hard to get to the bottom of any customer complaints. This missed opportunity to give you an enjoyable experience with Long Bay Resort is something that we could never abide by. Should you have any further questions or comments regarding this matter, please feel free to contact me to give us a second chance to rectify your fisrt impression with us.
Reviewed July 12, 2013

My boyfriend and I along with another younger couple stayed this past week overall the experience was ok but not great. First of when booking the room on an outside website the site said ocean view but didn't explain the difference between ocean front and view needless to say we were disappointed with the view. When expressed to the front desk the lady was rude and didn't seem to care when we explained the issue and never even tried to help. Second this is a great family place to stay if you are mid 20s and a younger couple wouldn't recommend it, it was a very uncomfortable feeling as the other guest with families gave dirty looks and being a younger couple the staff didn't seem to care about our room issue. I think the only staff that was nice was the bartenders at both bars and the lady who worked at the gift shop
in the morning, she was the only staff member to make friendly conversation I found the others to be rude. Overall the location and resort itself are nice but not worth it to feel uncomfortable if you are a younger person. I was very disappointed.

• Stayed July 2013
I was most concerned to receive your comment. The company aims to consistently deliver a professional service to our customers and I would like to state that on this occasion the level of service you received was unacceptable. Thank you for bringing this matter to my attention. If you have any questions or comments regarding this matter, please feel free to discuss it with me.