“Would not recommend”

Ranked #39 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Columbus, Ohio
“Would not recommend”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

We knew check in time was at 3pm but our plans had us arriving earlier so we contacted the hotel around 11am the morning of check in to see if we would be able to check in earlier. We were told that we could not. So we delayed our arrival until 2:50pm. Parking for check in is located in the front of their parking garage and parking spaces are tight and few. Be careful as traffic is terrible during check in time and all guests use this entrance to the garage for every floor. I entered the hotel lobby where several other people were milling around. I walked up to the front desk and gave my name and asked to check in. The woman behind the counter took my credit card, charging the balance of my room and gave me several pieces of paper -- a parking pass, a book with local attractions, a certificate for a free package at the concierge, along with rubber bracelets that we were to wear at all times while on the premises. I asked for the room number and key but was told that I would have to come back at 3pm for those. It was 2:55pm by now and I pointed that out but she simply said that I could not get my room assigned or keys distributed prior to 3pm. I walked back to my car to the VERY congested reservation parking area where cars were piling up. My husband went back in at 3:05pm and was told that he could not be checked in because our room was not ready. He waited...with about 50 others in the quickly shrinking lobby area. After striking up conversations with several other guests, some of which traveled by car for over 12 hours, he found that they had all been told the same thing! We had to wait until about 4:45pm before finally receiving a room/keys AFTER my husband flagged down a manager. He noticed that the office staff were calling out names of people whose rooms were ready but who were not in attendance/in the lobby, while those that were there were being told their rooms were not ready. The office staff were blaming the no availability issue on the housekeeping staff. My husband asked the manager why the office staff weren't reassigning the available rooms to those waiting? The manager went to a computer and after some digging started reassigning rooms. We nor any of the other guests were offered any compensation in return for this inconvenience. My husband did bring this issue up during check out and requested a $100 refund, which they did grudgingly grant. Poor training equals poor service, which you'll get in abundance at this hotel!

Room Tip: There are actually 3 sets of buildings that make up this hotel. One original, taller building and t...
5 Thank Kim B
Cesar C, Front Office Manager at Long Bay Resort, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
On behalf of Long Bay Resort, I would like to personally apologize for your inconvenience you may have experienced in respect to the check in time. We accept full responsibility for the inconvenience and I assure you we are taking the necessary steps to prevent it from happening in the future. If you have any questions or comments regarding this matter, please feel free to discuss it with me.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (559)
Durham, North Carolina
Reviewed July 12, 2013

We made reservations in February, asking for adjoining rooms for our family and my son's family. Thought we had made reservations for suites (with a functional kitchen) but, when we arrived, we had two rooms, on different floors, with two queen beds, a kitchen with a sink, microwave and a mini frig. To make matters worse, these rooms were in the oldest part of the complex with high, four stories with high rises built on either side. To get to this area, you had to go down a separate set of stairs, no elevator access. Had to pull down an extra hotel luggage carrier down the steps and transfer the luggage and coolers to it. The air conditioner was broken but the repairmen went above and beyond to get a new unit. The receptionist and manager were apologetic but could not find another available room. The pools were murky, the beach access was great. We won't be using the "one night free" voucher we were told that we would be receiving.

Room Tip: Be sure you get specifics about your room before you hang up with reservations. The confirmation wen...
2 Thank Mary P
Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you may have experienced in respect to the features in your room and the locations. At Long Bay Resort, we are very serious about our customer’s satisfaction and we work hard to get to the bottom of any customer complaints. This missed opportunity to give you an enjoyable experience with Long Bay Resort is something that we could never abide by. Should you have any further questions or comments regarding this matter, please feel free to contact me to give us a second chance to rectify your fisrt impression with us.
Reviewed July 12, 2013

My boyfriend and I along with another younger couple stayed this past week overall the experience was ok but not great. First of when booking the room on an outside website the site said ocean view but didn't explain the difference between ocean front and view needless to say we were disappointed with the view. When expressed to the front desk the lady was rude and didn't seem to care when we explained the issue and never even tried to help. Second this is a great family place to stay if you are mid 20s and a younger couple wouldn't recommend it, it was a very uncomfortable feeling as the other guest with families gave dirty looks and being a younger couple the staff didn't seem to care about our room issue. I think the only staff that was nice was the bartenders at both bars and the lady who worked at the gift shop
in the morning, she was the only staff member to make friendly conversation I found the others to be rude. Overall the location and resort itself are nice but not worth it to feel uncomfortable if you are a younger person. I was very disappointed.

• Stayed July 2013
Cesar C, Front Office Manager at Long Bay Resort, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
I was most concerned to receive your comment. The company aims to consistently deliver a professional service to our customers and I would like to state that on this occasion the level of service you received was unacceptable. Thank you for bringing this matter to my attention. If you have any questions or comments regarding this matter, please feel free to discuss it with me.
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed July 11, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for a full week Lang with about 10 other families.nwemweremall in town for our boys to play baseball at the Ripken Experience. let me just say that for our particular purpose of having a place for a bunch of 13-14 year old boys to hang out along with siblings and families, it was ok. It is not the place I would choose for our personal family vacation...too many people too close together...felt creepy to me. So, if you have a bunch of kids or a big bunch of people maybe you would like this place. We had our ups and downs which I will describe. We were not able to check in at the appointed time and had to wait wait wait, as the rooms weren't ready. We had booked oceanfront 1br suite. Once we finally got checked in, we were terribly disappointed to find we had an obstructed view. We were on the 5th floor of the main building very close to one of the front buildings which prevented us having a view in both directions which we expected. I immediately called the frt desk and was told n cod be done until the next day. The unit was not very clean at all. There were no coffee filters, dish soap, paper towels or any of those type things ywoukd expect in a unit with a kitchen. The place does have a number of options for pool action...one big pool, a smaller pool, a kiddie pool, a lazy river and some hot tubs. The kids enjoyed all this but it was too crowded up with hoards of people for me. The water didn't appear too clean, although I guess it is hard to keep clear with that many people. There is a lot of seating and a tiki hut' etc. I never saw the tiki hut being used. OK, we made it thru our first night and I called down to the manager the next morning to see if we could switch to a different unit. Caesar was very courteous in trying to help us. Although we still did not have the view we hoped for, we were moved up to the 7th floor and this unit was at least cleaner and had some of the kitchen items missing from the 5th floor unit. It would be my suggestion if you stay here to not agree to be in a unit in the main building unless it is 10th floor or higher if the view matters to you. I also understand from others that it is better to spend the extra $$$ for a 3 br unit as these have been updated and are much nicer. I will say that even though this place was jammed with people including lots of noisy kids it did quieten down by 11:00 p.m. I figured it would be loud and we wouldn't sleep a wink. I am happy to report this was not an issue and we were able to sleep well. A couple of more good points....there is a little store insite, a laundry facility if you don't have w/d in your unit, an iffice area with computer (wifi wasmsketchy at best), and a bar on premisis that sells burgers and such. The staff was nicemand helpful. Again, it depends on what you are looking for
as to whether this hotel is for you. It wasn't really my kind of place but the boys had fun and that's what counted it his trip.

Room Tip: Insist on an upper floor if you stay in large building....or get a unit in one of the two truly beac...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Caldwell, Ohio, United States
Reviewed July 9, 2013

We just got back last night and I'm ready to go back. We stayed in the Savoy building in a suite. We had a reserved parking spot and no wait on the elevators. Our room had 2 balconies ocean front a full kitchen and a private bedroom. We had 5 adults in our party and had plenty of room. The only downfall was that it really needs to be updated but the room was clean and that's the main thing. Also the WiFi didn't work very well unless we went out on the balcony but we didn't need it much anyway because we were too busy enjoying the outdoors.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Cesar C, Front Office Manager at Long Bay Resort, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Long Bay Resort, we are happy to read your visit with us was comfortable and you enjoyed your room.
We are whole heartedly committed to offering a diverse array of amenities to make our guests truly enjoyable. Our friendly staff is please to be of your service, and hope to see you soon again. Cesar C
san antonio
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Highly recommend Long Bay Resort for a family vacation destination. Beach front, large swimming pool, lazy river, restaurant and Starbucks all on location. Free WiFi added bonus. Have stayed at Long Bay Resort before and always an enjoyable stay. Our 3 BR condo had a full kitchen which helped us save breakfast and lunch expenses. Plenty of ice machines to fill the cooler to take drinks/snacks on the beach. Chairs and umbrellas can be rented on the beach in front of the hotel or bring your own. Food Lion grocery store only a couple of miles away across HWY 17. River City Cafe next door to hotel serves the best burgers in town. Sea Captains House, the best ocean front seafood restaurant along the grand strand, is only a short drive. Cheapest wine, liquor and beer store is called Greens located around 21st Avenue/HWY 17. Food Lion also sells wine and beer. If more than one person in your party, recommend someone get a luggage cart while you check in for it gets crowded and carts become scarce. Once you have parked the car in the parking garage or accross the street you can call the person with the cart and they can meet you at the car. That eliminates the need to unpack the car in the crowded ground floor check in parking area. Also recommend getting a luggage cart early AM on check-out day for they also become scarce near the 11 AM check out time.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write your comments. I was delighted to hear you had an enjoyable time at our hotel and the location was convenient to your needs.
It was a pleasure to have you as our guest. Our staff is pleased to be of service and eager to serve you again soon. Cesar C.
Carnation, Washington
Reviewed July 7, 2013

The week of July 4th was our first and definitely last stay at the Long Bay Resort in Myrtle Beach S.C. Our in-laws picked the resort for a weeks lodging of our family party of 15 to celebrate their 60th wedding anniversary. We made our reservations months early and picked a "2 bedroom deluxe" with partial ocean view. Upon arrival and being punctual at the 3:00PM check in time, we found a reception counter waiting line that snaked throughout the lobby and extended out into the drive- through unloading area. After waiting 45 minutes, (the outside temp was 91 degrees and very humid!) the receptionist simply informed us our room was not ready and requested that we return in 30 minutes. When we returned 30 minutes later, the line at the reception counter was even longer than before! Although we had already checked-in, staff told us we had to wait in line AGAIN! Ironically, the reception staff did not enforce their directive because by now people were hot, frustrated, and began cutting in line. My wife watched a near physical assault occur between a middle aged woman patiently waiting in line and a punk teenager who cut to the front and taunted the poor lady with "what are you going to do- hit me?" I missed this reality show-like entertainment because I was desparately trying to find a bar to get the two of us much needed cool and strong drinks. According to my wife, the reception staff ignored the line cutting complaint from the understandably upset woman and incredibly assisted the unruly teenager! After our second 45 minute wait, we were finally provided the card keys to room #418. Sadly, the room did come close to passing muster. First of all, the overall condition of the resort is quite aged if not seedy. Most of the common areas smell like mold. Our "2 bedroom deluxe" was cramped with very little counter space, no lounging/seating area to speak of and had only one closet for 4 guests. All the guest rooms have the old popcorn ceiling texture and in our room, small pieces just constantly fell to the floor making the room look like it needs vacuuming all the time. The bedside clock didn't work because the electrical outlet was defective. Good luck trying to find other outlets for your electronic gadgets because this place is an old facility and there aren't many electrical outlets in the rooms. Toilet and shower/tub room in our unit was so small it required substantial maneuvering just to step inside and shut the door. Furthermore, I found the broken metal toilet paper holder placed on top of the toilet with a loose roll of toilet paper a nice touch. Worst of all was the (lack of) air conditioning. Our "2 bedroom deluxe" only had one in-wall AC unit the first bedroom. The second bedroom accessed through the hallway kitchen area had no AC. Needless to say, during July in South Carolina, we found the second bedroom roasting especially being unacclimated Northerners from Seattle. Guess what happened next? We got to wait in line a third time to try and get another room only to be told by a totally unsympathetic manager (who seemed very accustomed to irate guests) that the resort was fully booked and there was nothing they could about the lack of AC in our unit. However, the Manager did suggest we were certainly free to look elsewhere for lodging! Being the 4th of July holiday week, I found the manager's "suggestion" sarcastic and offensive. Essentially, we were stuck at the Long Bay Resort and she knew it. Strangely enough, the Long Bay units our relatives stayed in all had two AC units and were quite comfortable. The next morning, after making do with a floor fan to blow air through the hallway to the second bedroom, we pleaded our case to a different Manager who eventually moved us into a larger 2 bedroom unit with two ACs. Unfortunately, three nights later, management told us we had to move back into the original substandard room where we remained for the duration of our stay. Although we made our dissatisfaction quite clear throughout our entire ordeal -at no time did the Long Bay management team offer us a discount on our room rate, complimentary coupons to the two restaurants on site or any other type of meaningful gesture to attempt to make up for our generally dismal experience at the Long Bay Resort. Both my wife and I are in our mid 50s and travel frequently exchanging the two timeshares we own to stay in a wide range of resorts both in the U.S. and abroad. Overall, The Long Bay Resort was the worst lodging experience and poor customer service we have ever endured.

ps: Long Bay Resort Management does not need to respond to this review. It would just be a reiteration of all the excuses with no corrective action or meaningful response to our concerns.

Room Tip: If you must stay at the Long Bay Resort- make doubly sure both bedrooms have an AC unit!
6 Thank Mark H
Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you may have experienced in respect to the A/C system in your room. Words cannot express how truly sorry we are for the anxiety, frustration and inconvenience that we caused to you and your family. This is especially saddening because at Long Bay Resort, we are committed of bringing 100% satisfaction to our guests and making the experience of hospitality happier and easier for everyone who chooses to stay with us. We know we failed to deliver on this promise during your stay. Should you have any further questions or comments regarding this matter, please feel free to contact me. Cesar C