“What a dump. Don't believe the great reviews. Dirty old motel like place.”
Review of Long Bay Resort

Long Bay Resort
Ranked #39 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
“What a dump. Don't believe the great reviews. Dirty old motel like place.”
Reviewed September 14, 2012 via mobile

What a dump. Don't believe the great reviews. Dirty old motel like place. I booked this hotel for 2 days from a deal on travelzoo. I thought it would be nice by looking at all the reviews. What a dissapointment. We upgraded our room to an ocean view and that was a waste. The front desk was nice and prompt. Once we came up to our room I was extremenly disappointed upon opening the door. The carpet is so old and dirty looking with stains. The comforters and curtains are so old looking. The rooms are small and we had no towels. Housekeeping left their cleaning buckets in the room. There was a musty smell. I would never walk barefoot on this floor for fear of infections. People walk around the entire resort barefoot and then walk on the room carpet. Nasty. The pools were packed with people and hardly anywhere to sit and the same for the beach. The noise was horrible as our room entrance was literally a few steps away from the parking garage. You hear people walking around all the time and cars coming and going. The restaurant here looks kind of dirty and outdated. I called around for another hotel but only stated here because I could not get a refund or else I would have ran for the hills. Bathroom is tiny and not cleaned all the way. Not trying to be racist but this place was so hill billy. I will never return to this dump. Stay away and go to spring maid where the rooms were newly remodeled and CLEAN.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank Emzam
Corey_Shaw, Front Office Manager at Long Bay Resort, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
Thank you for your writing a review. TripAdvisor is one of the many channels we use to obtain guest feedback.

I sincerely apologize for the poor experience at our resort. There is no excuse for housekeeping supplies being left in your room, or the room to be in the condition that you described. Although it can be difficult to gain access every unit during the busy season, we do perform deep cleaning of the carpet and furnishings every year. Additionally, we have just recently completed the installation of new granite counter tops and cabinetry in all the units, as well as applying a fresh coat of paint to the building and interior corridors.

Upon reviewing your reservation, it appears you never upgraded from the original Partial Oceanfront Suite that you booked directly through our website. Also, I have verified with my management staff that you never attempted to speak to any of us about your concerns. Please understand that we would never force someone to stay where they are not comfortable, and if we are unable to rectify the issues, would gladly refund your entire stay. Of course our primary goal is to ensure your satisfaction, and if we are unable to find you other accommodations, we will do everything in our power to make that happen.

Again, I can not apologize enough for the poor impression you have of our resort. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if I can be of any further assistance.

Guest Services Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (558)
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed September 14, 2012

This was my fourth stay at the Long Bay Resort, my second annual week-long trip with extended family. In all, my group had 3 oceanfront queen suites which is two queen beds in the front room, a kitchenette and bathroom in the middle, and a living room with balcony on the back.
First, the pricing is very competitive for what you get. As someone who has paid much more for a room at the beach, this property delivers as much as any other in that location. The staff and management are very attentive- particularly to the maintenance, cleanliness, and functionality of the common areas and pools. The pools have been immaculately maintained throughout each of my stays at this hotel. The indoor or covered pools are always a comfortable temperature. The little cafe to the side of the pool area offers great food (burgers/sandwiches/snacks). There is a starbucks in the lobby as well as Martin's, a breakfast and dinner venue.
The rooms are typically well maintained and above average for Myrtle Beach. My only complaint is that on this particular stay, our room had a pretty strong musty odor that was exacerbated when the air conditioner was running and there were some days where housekeeping clearly did the bare minimum of replacing towels and not much else. The other two rooms our party had did not experience these issues. We were all on different floors and I imagine the staff was different in who serviced our rooms. I have never experienced anything like that the other times I have stayed here either.
I would recommend the hotel for any family or couple looking for a clean, relaxing place to stay in a great location (away from the hustle and bustle of the boardwalk, but a short drive to all the attractions). If anything, the rooms could be more consistently updated/cleaned, but understandably in a property this size there could something that slips by. The management seems that they would take care of issues quickly and to the best of their abilities. If I had been in my room more, I would have definitely had to try to have something done about the smell. Good value, caring staff, just what it claims to be!

1 Thank Love2TravelMandi
Corey_Shaw, Front Office Manager at Long Bay Resort, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Thank you for writing a review on TripAdvisor!!

I sincerely apologize for the poor housekeeping services you received in your particular unit. We have recently hired a new Director of Housekeeping, and he is in the process of training our housekeepers and supervisors to prevent issues like this from happening in the future. The busy season is beginning to wind down, and as a result, there are several deep cleaning projects scheduled to take place in the coming weeks.

I am glad your stay was pleasant overall, and we appreciate your loyalty and referral. We hope to see you again real soon!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed September 8, 2012

I'll admit the price is what attracted me to this resort originally. They have some great prices, especially if you book in advance and take advantage of their specials. The only MB resort I have to compare it to is the Caribbean, which would have been at least $350 more for our 6 day stay in an OF 3bd condo. (we stayed at Caribbean last year) I'd pick Long Bay hands down, especially for the savings.
Pros: loved the location and the Savoy building. We had all the amenities of a big resort, but were in a smaller setting. This meant assigned parking spot, fast elevator service and a small pool just for our buildling. But it was still very convenient to go the main part of the resort and take advantage of all their pools, kids submarine, lazy river, hot tubs, Starbucks, etc. Also, I can't say enough about the cleanliness of this place. We saw employees cleaning the pools and decks consistently throughout the day. There was NEVER any trash laying around. And our room, upon arrival, was also very clean. I'm telling you, the savoy building is a hidden treasure. Our living room had a wrap around balcony and 2 of the walls were glass, which made for the best view I've had at the ocean.
Cons: I can't speak for the main building, but the savoy could use a few updates. Our furniture, kitchen and overall decor of the room was a bit dated. Apparently a lot of the condos are individually owned, but Long Bay still handles the renting of them. But it's up to the owners to update the room. I wish they were rented out individually (by the owner) so we could see in advance what the room looked like. The savoy 3bd condos all have varying decor, so it would be nice to know what you're getting when you book.
Overall we enjoyed our stay and will return again.

Room Tip: Three bedroom oceanfront in the savoy! Assigned parking spot, your own pool and fast elevator servi...
2 Thank Jennyr76
longbay1, General Manager at Long Bay Resort, responded to this review, September 14, 2012
Thank you for your review of Long Bay Resort. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. I agree that the Savoy is a hidden treasure. We do have plans to update all of our units coming up. We work very hard to keep the resort clean at all times and I am glad that it shows. We appreciate your great comments and look forward to seeing you again on your next visit.
Reviewed September 7, 2012

My fiancé spent the last part of our honeymoon at long bay and had an amazing experience! The staff left us a generous bottle of champagne with souvenir glasses! The amenities were amazing.... Love the lazy river!! I look forward to spending our one year anniversary at long bay!!

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank Winniedoug
longbay1, General Manager at Long Bay Resort, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to let us know of the amazing time you had at Long Bay. I am happy that you were able to enjoy the champagne and souvenier glasses, as well as the pools and lazy river. We look forward to seeing you again on your anniversary!
Levittown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 6, 2012

We have stayed at other resorts in the past, but decided to give this one a try since it had good ratings. Overall it was a good trip and our room was clean and spacious. I found the rates that we paid were very competitive and I really did like the location. It is at the northern part of Myrtle Beach close to the residential area and away from the downtown area.
The hotel had quite a few pools and covered activities that we used on overcast and rainy days. This was a life saver with our daughter, and was one of the reasons that I booked this hotel. The pool was really warm and the maintenance guys seemed to always be around, cleaning up or fixing things. They have a Starbucks in the front, which was a nice option for breakfast. We did try to the breakfast buffet, but it was average at best.
Generally we stay at resorts where there is a large lobby and quite a few amenities. This resort is more like a condo rental in my opinion. It is clean, family orientated, but not luxurious.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank karenanne915
Corey_Shaw, Front Office Manager at Long Bay Resort, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
Thank you for writing a review for us on TripAdvisor.com!!

I'm so glad you were able to enjoy the amenities and water features, despite a few rainy days. We do have plans during the off season to create a business center. Each year we discuss and plan different upgrades and projects to keep our resort competitive.

We hope to see you again in the future!

Apex, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Check in at 6:30 pm on Friday before a holiday weekend was relatively quick. We had a 2-queen room on the ground floor. No ambience, but the room was spacious. A little dated, but for what we paid, I wasn't expecting luxury! We were right off the parking deck, which I thought would be a problem, but we didn't really hear much. That may be because I like to sleep in cool air, so the ac unit was going all night and it wasn't quiet, but it drowned out any deck noise, so that was OK. Parking is on site. Two pools (1 under cover), plus a kiddie splash pool, lazy river, 3 hot tubs and a sauna. The pools, especially the one under cover, were extremely warm, but better at night. Easy beach access, with umbrellas and chairs available. A request to housekeeping for an extra pillow & blanket got them to our door in less than 10 minutes. All in all, we were very happy with the amenities and location, and will likely stay again.

Room Tip: Pool view rooms on the lower floors will likely be noisy during crowded periods.
1 Thank Eileen M
Corey_Shaw, Front Office Manager at Long Bay Resort, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
Thank you for writing a review on TripAdvisor!!

I'm glad we were able to make your first trip to Long Bay Resort, a pleasant one. It is our goal to be the number one resort in Myrtle Beach.

We hope to see you again soon!

Lewisburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 1, 2012

We've been coming to Myrtle Beach for 5 years, and we have stayed at a resort that was quite expensive, yet it was not up to par the way this one was. The most important thing to me is the cleanliness, and I can tell you without hesitation, that the room was really clean - the layout of our room was wonderful, and relaxing on the balcony after a day at the beach was heavenly -
If we needed something, all we had to do is ask ONCE, and whatever we needed was taken care of in a very timely manner. The staff made you feel like you were their most important guest, and that mean alot to someone. It was a great trip, even if the weather didn't cooperate - when we come back, you can rest assurred that we will be staying at Long Bay Resort - no doubt about it.

Room Tip: No matter what room you chose, you can't go wrong at the Long Bay Resort.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sadie626
Corey_Shaw, Front Office Manager at Long Bay Resort, responded to this review, September 2, 2012
Thank you for writing a review for us on TripAdvisor.com!!

Thank you for all your wonderful comments concerning our resort and staff. I will be sure to pass your feedback among the rest of the staff. We hope to see you again soon!