“Awesome value.........”

Big Mike's Soul Food
Ranked #33 of 906 Restaurants in Myrtle Beach
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: We have some of the best soul food in myrtle beach ,our blue plate special is the best deal in town at $ 9.49 A plate.Soul food the way your mama made it!!!!
Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

An incredible dining experience. Great food and a good value to boot. Real authentic experience. Small seating arrangements (small dining area) and lack of ambiance are only drawbacks.

2  Thank Derek1992

Reviewed July 1, 2013

Me and my family of 7 ate a great meal with a drink for less than $10.00 dollars. You get a choice of 1 meat and 3 sides I/E Mashed Potatoes, Mac & Cheese, String Beans, Etc, Etc, Etc... ( The Mac & Cheese + Mashed Potatoes were great!!!) The server for the evening was a sweet ( yet competitive ) young lady named Mikaylah :) She truly made the experience a delightful one! She gave us a sample of the " Fried Fish " that was incredibly good. we arrived close to 9pm and they were about to close yet they never rushed us or made us feel uncomfortable. We even had food left over to take with us for lunch the next day :) We would have returned on Sunday afternoon to buy some Fish and Shrimp baskets at a great rate also but, when we called to place the order, no one answered. I think they might have been closed. We will definitely return to Myrtle Beach soon and Big Mikes is definitely on the list of places to go!!! Enjoy!

1  Thank DonBaronTurski
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Every year my family and I vacation in Myrtle Beach. This year, we decided to include a visit to Big Mike's based on the reviews I read here. My husband and I are natives from the "lowcountry" (Charleston, SC) so we know soul food when we taste it. We were there a couple of weeks ago and arrived around 5:30 PM one evening. The restaurant does have limited seating so we opted to place an order to-go. My husband and I got the blue plate specials and our daughter got a calabash shrimp basket. One of the ladies took our order, and we waited at the counter for about 20 minutes for our food.

We headed back to where we were staying at the beginning of North Myrtle Beach, and when we opened the containers the food was still very warm. I opted for the fried fish, mac and cheese, squash, and green beans. Because they were out of the meatloaf, my husband opted for the fried chicken, mac and cheese, collards, and mashed potatoes. Both meals came with cornbread. The food was delicious. It was true lowcountry style soul food. The only complaint I had is the day we went, some parts of my food was a bit over-seasoned (green beans), but it was still good.

As we were leaving closer to 6PM, more guests started to come in. I believe they probably are a bit overwhelmed with the volume of customers they are getting. It doesn't look like they have that much help; only saw four workers while we were there. Hopefully, one day they'll be able to expand. We'll keep this restaurant on our list of places to eat for the future.

2  Thank SCarolinaGirl
Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

Fried Chicken, Fried Pork Chop, Meat Loaf, Mac 'n Cheese, Collards, etc etc etc.... All are fantastic. The service is great and the food is excellent. This is a great place for lunch, but don't expect to stay on your diet. For an extra treat, try the Peach Cobbler.

1  Thank doatsea
Reviewed June 30, 2013

We arrived in Myrtle Beach yesterday at lunchtime after sitting in traffic for hours...starving. We had already read the reviews on tripadvisor and were planning on trying Big Mike's sometime during our stay, and comfort food was just what the doctor ordered after our trip down.
As we arrived about 2pm the lunch crush was over so there was not a wait. Several items from the $7.95 (for meat with 3 veggies!) Blue Plate Special list for the day sounded great (Fried Chicken, Fried Fish, Fried Pork Chops, Chopped Sirloin etc.). I went with the fried fish with mashed taters and gravy, green beans and cole slaw. My wife had the fried pork chops with green beans, field peas and mac and cheese. My son had fried chicken with mac and cheese and rice and gravy in a kid's portion (one drumstick and a pile of vegetables). Everything was terrific...served piping hot and generously portioned. My fish appeared to be flounder and it was crispy and delicious...the breader Big Mike uses negates the need for any additional flavoring (not that the hot sauce didn't add something though). Veggies were all great, my wife's field peas really stood out. The mac and cheese is a little on the dry side but that is not unusual when it truly homemade like this. One note...if you are a low salt diet...well, you probably shouldn't be eating here anyhow; they are not shy with the salt; but that is why it tastes soooo good! Well definitely recommend Big Mike's to all of my golf buddies for their trips down to Myrtle. A great value and hey, they have beer! Pretty odd for a place that serves 'meat and three'. As an added bonus we got to meet Big Mike himself as we were leaving and he was friendly and warm. Big Mike's is a bit of a dive but man, the food and value just can't be beat.

1  Thank woodman1967