“Great food!”

Big Mike's Soul Food
Ranked #33 of 909 Restaurants in Myrtle Beach
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: We have some of the best soul food in myrtle beach ,our blue plate special is the best deal in town at $ 9.49 A plate.Soul food the way your mama made it!!!!
Reviewed May 1, 2013

Saw this restaurant on Trip Advisor with good reviews and decided to try it. It is a very small place, it was lunchtime and very crowded. But, it was worth the wait. We had the fried chicken and it was delicious, as was the collards and field peas. The service was slow and the waitress was not friendly, but I assume this was because they were so busy. The food was so good that we will return, just not at their busiest time.

Reviewed May 1, 2013 via mobile

We stopped by while on vacation after it was highly recommended by a server at a different restaurant. We were greeted as soon as we walk in and sat down in the back. Our server brought us menus, and we ordered sweet tea - so good! My boyfriend ordered the fried porkchops, collard greens, mashed potatoes with gravy and mac & cheese. I am vegetarian, so I ordered mac & cheese and green beans. We also had corn bread with our meals, and we were not disappointed. My boyfriend loved every bite of his food. His greens were as good as his mom's! I loved the mac & cheese which was made from scratch. The green beans were good but needed a little more seasoning. To end our meals we ordered peach cobbler. Several people came in the restaurant, so our server took their orders and didn't bring the cobbler for at least 10 minutes. However, it was AMAZING. I was also pleased to see our bill was only $15!!! I highly recommend it and will definitely go back next time I am in Myrtle Beach.

Reviewed April 30, 2013

I have eaten at soul food restaurants in Atlanta. Mike's food rates a good by comparison. The fried chicken was good. The mac/cheese was a bit over cooked, perhaps it had been cooked for a while. The green beans were good. The waitress was friendly, but seemed spaced out, as if she was smoking something. She got the drink order wrong. I can say that her head and heart were not in it. She put on a show and she was friendly. It could be amusing if one were not so hungry. For $7.95 the blue plate special is a good value, 1 meat, 3 sides, and drink.

1  Thank Robert92
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Myself, husband and 2 younger children went here for dinner based on TA reviews. I should have trusted my instincts and skipped it. Our waitress was "out there". Forgetful and spacey. Husband said she was high. I don't know, but she was definitely different. We ordered the blue plate special with white meat chicken. She came back after a few mins and said they were out of white meat. It was 5pm on a Monday evening. Not sure why they would be out? We just changed to the fish, no big deal. When she brought our meals, I asked what kind of fish it was. ( I assumed catfish or cod?) Granted, I should have asked before I ordered, I know that. But she said "swai". Ok, I've never heard of it but it was decent...flaky, white filets. But since we had never heard of it, we just ate it cautiously. The sides were ok. Nothing special. If you've ever at a Cracker Barrel, they have better food and the same type of side items. Oh yeah, and better environment and service. And we never got a check, so I went to bar area to pay. I never saw a bill and I'm almost positive the total she gave me was incorrect. But we were just ready to leave. I guess overall it was O.K., but we won't be back. I didn't get that warm, friendly experience others have mentioned. And for some reason, I kept worrying about getting food poisoning.

1  Thank Jennyr76
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Make sure you eat here, real food with heaping portions. We ordered the blue plate special which is on meat and three veggies and cornbread for $7.95. Everything was good, but the chicken, cole slaw and peach cobbler were delicious! Atmosphere is a Litle dated and there is limited parking, servers were friendly and efficient. Big mike greets everyone as they come in and out. A really nice change from all the chain restaurants in mb.

1  Thank sidney7474