“Should have trusted my instincts”

Big Mike's Soul Food
Ranked #32 of 893 Restaurants in Myrtle Beach
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: We have some of the best soul food in myrtle beach ,our blue plate special is the best deal in town at $ 9.49 A plate.Soul food the way your mama made it!!!!
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Should have trusted my instincts”
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Myself, husband and 2 younger children went here for dinner based on TA reviews. I should have trusted my instincts and skipped it. Our waitress was "out there". Forgetful and spacey. Husband said she was high. I don't know, but she was definitely different. We ordered the blue plate special with white meat chicken. She came back after a few mins and said they were out of white meat. It was 5pm on a Monday evening. Not sure why they would be out? We just changed to the fish, no big deal. When she brought our meals, I asked what kind of fish it was. ( I assumed catfish or cod?) Granted, I should have asked before I ordered, I know that. But she said "swai". Ok, I've never heard of it but it was decent...flaky, white filets. But since we had never heard of it, we just ate it cautiously. The sides were ok. Nothing special. If you've ever at a Cracker Barrel, they have better food and the same type of side items. Oh yeah, and better environment and service. And we never got a check, so I went to bar area to pay. I never saw a bill and I'm almost positive the total she gave me was incorrect. But we were just ready to leave. I guess overall it was O.K., but we won't be back. I didn't get that warm, friendly experience others have mentioned. And for some reason, I kept worrying about getting food poisoning.

1 Thank Jennyr76

Maryland
“Fantastic, inexpensive and plenty of food!”
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Make sure you eat here, real food with heaping portions. We ordered the blue plate special which is on meat and three veggies and cornbread for $7.95. Everything was good, but the chicken, cole slaw and peach cobbler were delicious! Atmosphere is a Litle dated and there is limited parking, servers were friendly and efficient. Big mike greets everyone as they come in and out. A really nice change from all the chain restaurants in mb.

1 Thank sidney7474
Portland, Maine
“Big Mike's fried chicken was the best!!!!”
Reviewed April 29, 2013

The fried chicken blue plate special provided me a taste of one of the best pieces of chicken I've ever had.........juicy, delicious, freshly cooked to order. Wife had the fried chicken sandwich......same reaction as mine. The service was friendly and efficient; Big Mike himself came out to speak with the customers and elicit their comments. If you want real, local food done right, then this is the place not to miss........forget the fast food chains. BTW the value is more than good!

1 Thank EdofMaineSoCarolina
Charlotte, NC
“Great Atmosphere! Great Food!!”
Reviewed April 27, 2013 via mobile

We just left Big Mike's and the food was fantastic we ordered the blue plate dinner with fish, my three sides were collards, rice and gravy and green beans. And I cannot forget the cornbread all very good! We will go back!!

2 Thank kassius11739
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
“Terrible service”
Reviewed April 26, 2013

went today and sat down, ungreeted...we were seen by the wait staff and big mike said hi. we sat there for over 10 minutes and nobody waited on us...6 other people came in and were served ahead of us. finally someone said we'd be waited on soon. we waited and it didn't happen. so we left, and mike wondered why...and we told him.

i'll never go back.