Message from TripAdvisor:

“still a great vaction spot”

Sandcastle South Beach Resort
Ranked #116 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed July 6, 2012

Im not completely sure but I think this is the 15th stay we have had at this resort.overall good place for family's nice rooms and good amenities. This time down housekeeping was a hit or miss for both rooms we rented and the cable TV was messed up all week and one of the refrigerators didn't work properly and neither issue was resolved before leaving but then again I didn't drive 375 miles to watch TV so i didn't really pay much attention to that. Defiantly not the newest joint on the strip but for the age and as many folk that pass thru there in a season still one of in my opinion the better resorts for price and accomidations. One thing I would like to see change would be visible staff on the pool and lazy river area to maintain order in these areas as some irresponsible parents let there children run around like jungle folk and mess it up for everyone. I have a 3 and 5 year old and every year same thing others running through the lazy river and throwing tubes and such surprised there hasn't been an injury or lawsuit over this. Anyway still my choice for July 4 vacation week.

Room Tip: When reserving a room specify you don't want a room beside the extended portion.s of the buildin...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Sandcastle South Beach Resort

Reviewed July 6, 2012

Simply horrible! The rooms are small, old (a la 1980s) and in need of updating. If you forgot how big and bulky TVs were before flat screens, you can go down memory lane here. Don't bring movies. There is no DVD. Bring your own towels and toilet paper. This place ran out of washcloths. Each day we had to wait for them to collect, wash and dry the bath towels before they could distribute any fresh clean ones. They give each room 1 roll of toilet paper, with no spare (no matter how much is left housekeeping doesn't leave an extra roll.) . Be prepared to run to front desk to get more. The only thing good about this place is rhe staff, who is friendly and helpful.

In short, this is an ocean front roach motel worthy of 1 star.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank webjd
Reviewed July 5, 2012

We have chosen to stay at the Sandcastle our past 3 trips there. We have the same check-in person, Bob, bc we check in late after midnight when we come. Our daughter attend Coastal Carolina University which is only about 15 minutes away. The hotels near campus cost the same if not more so why not stay ocean front??!! I love that they are very reasonably priced & they have a full kitchenette in the rooms we get which saves us from having to eat out so much. The housekeeping staff has always been very friendly to us every time we have been there. This past trip we had the weekend before July 4th was amazing. Only suggestion I would make would be to update the chairs by the pool. They look a little dryrotted, but it is nice that you don't have to lay your towel on the hot ground & sit by the pool. Thanks as always for a great experience at your hotel& we will see you guys again on college parent visit weekend!

Room Tip: They all are ocean front so equally awesome :)
Reviewed July 2, 2012

I read some of the reviews before deciding to stay at this place. It was kind of a bad decision. The rooms were cleaned and the location to the beach was awesome. They played a movie downstairs every night, but we had some bad experiences with the pools.

Someone threw up in the outdoor pool and many people complained about it. When we came back we were told that they had filtered out the problem, but from our room we could still see it floating in the pool. There were many people using that pool who were unaware of the situation but there were other guests who tried to warn people if they saw them. I understand that they thought that the chlorine would get rid of the germs but they should have at least cleaned out the VISIBLE portions of the vomit.

Location was also a problem. If you want to be near the shops/dining or the amusement park then you should look elsewhere unless you don't have a problem paying for parking everyday you stay there. Otherwise it is a good amount of walking, especially during the hot midday hours of the summer.

Reviewed July 2, 2012

Like most folks, I read the reviews and thought that being on the oceanfront would compensate for any issues with the hotel - but that really wasn't the case. While the men that keep the pools clean were very friendly and the lady that came to clean our room on Wednesday (they don't clean every day) was nice, when we checked out on Saturday the staff on the 9th floor had no problems blocking the entire walkway to the elevators knowing that people were trying to checkout and get out of their way.

Once we were able to pass them to get to the elevator, one housekeeping person went so far as to say "we should be thankful that we got to stay there". Oh my, you really didn't just say that - did you?

There were three families in our group and each of the rooms were about the same. All rooms are quite small and the kitchen appliances have seen better days.

I had read that south Myrtle Beach had improved since the last time we were in the area about 5 years ago - but it's still pretty rough. I definately prefer to stay north.

2  Thank kayeteekaye
Reviewed June 29, 2012

This past week was our 5th stay at the Sandcastle and it has become a family favorite when traveling to Myrtle Beach. We love the oceanfront rooms, direct access to the beach and the kids love the lazy river! The rooms are clean enough, not the most updated but for the money, it's a great place to stay. Staff are friendly and they even show movies by the pool at dusk.

Room Tip: You can park as high up as the 6th floor and it goes to 15.
Reviewed June 16, 2012

When I researched reviews on this hotel I thought it would be an average place to stay based on the ratings. We got a great price by booking in January and our room was 40% off so we decided to stay here even though we have a place we normally stay. This mistake resulted in us staying at Sancastle South. This place was busy when we arrived and a lot of people were being turned away for not being over 21 to get a room. While we waited, every time one of these people left the male receptionist made negative comments to the other two girls working, apparently unconcerned that everyone else in the lobby could hear what he said too. We checked in around 2 o'clock and upon entering the room with our luggage my heart dropped. I just want to say that we are not people who are extremely picky about our room; like the people on here complaining about a hair in the sink, but when I saw this room I felt sick. There were marks all over the walls, the headboards looked dirty, the top of the oven and refrigerator were dirty, and the furniture was covered in stains. Also there was trash from the previous occupant under the air conditioner. The only room that looked clean was the bathroom. I thought about asking to be moved, but I gave it a chance since my wife took the extra linens in the room and covered the chair and couch so that we could feel ok sitting on them. The next day at 2 the room still had not been cleaned so I called down to make sure that it would be taken care of. Upon our return around 6 it still had not been cleaned so I decided to go to the lobby to complain. I wish I knew the name of the guy working, but he had a goatee, brown hair, and a deer in headlights stare the whole time I talked to him. He never apologized or said sorry about anything when I complained about having no maid service, or the conditions in the room. He said that there would not be a manager until Monday and that it was impossible to know when the General Manager Rusty Lowery would be in because he has no set hours. I said " So basically I am just of luck then huh?" and his response was " Yeah. Hopefully they will clean it tomorrow." How helpful! The next day the same thing repeated, and the room was untouched. I returned to the lobby to complain and this time I spoke to a thin, young guy who actually apologized. He tried to get housekeeping on the phone, but was unable to reach anyone. He made a note with my name and phone number. At this point I got the GM's phone number and left him a voicemail in which I requested to speak with him. The next morning I waited around until about 9AM to see if he was in, which of course he was not. I was told he would probably be there around 11AM. When I returned shortly after 11 I was told he was still not there and that no one has any idea when he'll ever be there. I spoke to a woman named Mary who was the nicest person I talked to there the entire time. She wrote down my name and number and the fact that this was Monday and my room had not been cleaned since I arrived on Friday. She said that the GM Mr. Lowery would definitely want to talk with me. I am still waiting to hear from this person. My question is who is overseeing this place? Evidently no one based on the way things were being ignored. I spoke to 2 other couples who said there rooms were not cleaned either. That day and the next the room was cleaned and thank God we left after that. WE COULD NOT WAIT TO LEAVE! Even when the maid did clean the room she did not empty our large kitchen trash can. The day before we left, she put a trash bag on the side of the can and did not empty it as if to say "do it yourself." It was overflowing! Also the last day we were there it rained a good bit and the drain by the walkway to go onto the beach was not functioning right and there was a massive puddle about 6 inches deep that people had to walk through to get onto the beach. No one ever did anything about it either.
This was the worst hotel we have EVER stayed at. I have NEVER seen a hotel where the room was not cleaned. As if that was not bad enough two days in a row without maid service is just plain unacceptable and pathetic. When there is no management present at a hotel why would the employees care anyway? There is no one to hold them accountable. Not to mention that the GM cannot even return multiple messages left by one unhappy visitor. Please take my advice and look at my pictures and DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL! We stay at Myrtle once every year and this time it was ruined thanks to this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple