“Very old and tired hotel....”

Polynesian Beach & Golf Resort
Ranked #191 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed October 14, 2013

As has become our goal when possible, we try to stay in the smaller, local owner hotels instead of the larger resorts and chains. Luckily, in Myrtle Beach, there are still a lot of the smaller, non-chain hotels. Unluckily, this time we chose the Polynesian. It is located on the beach, which is a huge factor in it's favor, and the staff was friendly and helpful when possible. However, this hotel is not just old, it shows its age. I expected some wear and tear, but not to the extent we found. The mattresses were probably new when Reagan was in office, and were an odd combination of lumpy and squishy, very uncomfortable. The carpet may as well have not been there, it was so old and threadbare. The hallways were smelly and just, well, ugly. While the room was fairly clean, there is just no disguising the fact that this hotel was not just old and tired, it was exhausted. All beach hotels seem to hold a musty smell, and this one was no exception. The air conditioner labored and wheezed the entire visit. The kitchenette was fairly well done, despite the fake wood linoleum floor there and in the bathroom. The bathroom showed its age also, but rather well. It was large, clean and comfortable. The location makes up for some of the shortcomings, as does the price. Unfortunately, the adage holds true that you get what you pay for. The phone in the room did not work, neither did the WiFi. This hotel will not be on our list to revisit unless some renovations are done, as well as some basic neglected maintenance.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank shughes6645

Reviewed October 9, 2013

mold on walls not the same as it said on line will never stay here agin took more cash still taking money from me tv does not work cashier not nice ac dont work well no silverware bugs everywhere mold in shower under sink rooms cheaper off than on line

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank ladsonrose
Reviewed October 6, 2013

The hotel is beach front and has a small parking garage. The room had cold air and was clean. it's an old property and not very well kept-up. However, it does have wireless internet, free parking, and the staff was friendly.
The tub did NOT drain. I mean, at all. I was sickened that water was mid-calf.
If you don't need much, this hotel is fine. My room was $45 (after taxes) and was 2 bedrooms with 3 double beds and full kitchenette. It had a small TV in the larger room.

Room Tip: My room faced the strip, and I wished I'd paid a few more dollars to see the beach.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank lc0412
Reviewed September 21, 2013

Everything about this place was horrible,on booking it i knew from the reviews it wouldnt be good but didnt think it would be this bad.We were met by a confused receptionist and too be honest they all seemed a bit confused to what was actually going on,They demanded a deposit of 50$ per person,upfront payment total,all ID from all 8 of us, a bit much if you ask me.
When our room was ready,it was just disgusting,we wanted to leave but every where else was booked up,there was dead bugs every where and,fag butts.When we went to use the pool outside it seemed to have a slime layer on top and the jacuzzi inside had a funky smell,we left two days early and went some where else,one of the girls experienced bites over night to her face so that was the last straw. But again trying to talk to the reception staff was like talking to a wall.will not be staying here again and hopefully next time im back this place will be closed down.

Room Tip: book elsewhere
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank A00171892
povmgmt, General Manager at Polynesian Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to comment on tripadvisor. We appreciate any and all guest feedback. I would like to apologize for any inconvenience that you may have experienced during your stay with us. I thank you for voicing your concerns and bringing these issues to our attention. I will make sure that your complaints are forwarded to the appropriate department heads for further review so that the issues can be taken care of. Thank you again for the valuable input. It truly is appreciated. I hope you have a wonderful day.

Reviewed September 19, 2013

Pictures does look good on the website, but when we got here the rooms were nothing like the pics! Wallpaper peeling, all lamp fixtures rusted, room was dirty,
There was no towels..and phone in room would not work! Finally got someone up here to bring towels and new phone late that night! Had to end up cleaning room myself! Came here at last min on a Saturday so no other rooms were available at any of the other good hotels! From now on we will stay at Southern Breeze Motel (where we have stayed the last 5 years) which is a very good hotel a older motel too but clean room and friendly staff! Should have known better to just tell my husband lets just try another motel! (Thats my fault) Lots of wierd things going on the polynesian property too! Too bad for me to put on here! So believe me pay a little more money and stay somewhere else besides polynesian beach resort!! TERRIBLE!!

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank harleygirl211

Reviewed September 4, 2013

Every summer I try and take my kids on a trip before school starts to end the summer.. This year we decided to go to Myrtle Beach. We stayed in an ocean front room on the second floor. Very spacious and clean. Yes may need a little updating but I don't go on vacation to sit in my room. Well worth the price for a family traveling on a budget and the kitchen also helps. Hello people If the hotel was totally updated the prices would double or triple. I was very happy with they stay and all the nice friendly people that we meet. From the maid service to the handyman when our balcony door was sticking all professional and friendly. I would stay here again for sure.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for ocean front
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Sunnyg1111

Thank you for taking the time to comment on tripadvisor. We appreciate any and all guest feedback. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. We would be happy to have you as a guest with us again in the future. If there is anything that you may need, please do not hesitate to contact us. We are here to assist you with your reservation needs. Have a wonderful day!

Reviewed August 28, 2013

We stayed here for a week and my sons IPOD was stolen from the room and we left them a tip and they still stole it. WHATEVER YOU DO DO NOT STAY HERE AND IF YOU DO MAKE SURE YOU DO NOT LET THEM CLEAN YOUR ROOM!

Room Tip: Looks nice from the website but this place is a dump!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family