“DONT STAY HERE” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #186 of 207 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Elkin, North Carolina
“DONT STAY HERE”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2013

First of all this is NO resort at all. It's nasty. My toilet messed up, I found hair in my bed and got room service two times the whole week I was there because I had to ask for it. My TV had no channels, my pet fee was supposed to be $50.00 and when I got there it was 130.00. There is a lot of hidden fee's when you arrive and you cant do anything about it, because the manager is awful and wont give you a refund. This was the NASTIEST place I have ever stayed. Definitely my first and last time staying. Don't say I didn't warn you. There is no wifi, everything online is a lie when you see it in person you will see what I mean. this place needs to be shut down

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
3 Thank alexa w
povmgmt, General Manager at Polynesian Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to comment on TripAdvisor. We appreciate any and all guest feedback. I would like to apologize for any inconvenience that you may have experienced during your stay with us. I thank you for voicing your concerns and bringing these issues to our attention. I will make sure that your complaints are forwarded to the appropriate department heads for further review so that the issues can be taken care of. Thank you again for the valuable input. It truly is appreciated. I hope you have a wonderful day.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
Maryland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2013

I had made reservations at the Polynesian Beach And Golf Resort in Myrtle Beach S. C. for April 2nd and 3rd. This was paid for ahead of time. When we got there, we had to pay a "resort" fee of $14.70. I was not told that there would be a fee. Nowhere in the ad was the resort fee mentioned.
It was either pay it or lose the $191.56 that I already paid for the room. Therefore, I paid it. When we got our room keys, the room was on the fourth floor. I asked if there was an elevator, there was. I parked in the garage, walked to the elevator and went to the fourth floor. Then we had to walk 3/4 of the way around the outside of building to get to the room.
When I saw the room if it was not for the fact that I already paid and would lose that money I would have left. It looked like an old run down motel. It is NOTHING like it was pictured.
There was over a dozen problems with the room and the staff, one which could have been very serious, below is a list them;
1. There was not a coffee maker. I called and they sent one to us. To top it off, after an hour the darn thing only brewed a half of the pot.
2. There were no utensils, not even a spoon for the coffee if the maker worked.
3. The power went off in half of the room. They did come fix it. It took about 15 minutes. We were not told what had happened or if there was a chance that it would happen again.
4. There were several soft spots in the floor in the first room, no one seem to know why they were there, or even cared about then.
5. The phone was not working. They sent someone up and he got it to work. As soon as we touched it, the phone stopped working again. I am glad that we had our cell phones.
6. Went to get ice and the only place that we found it was on the first
floor. We did not check the upper floors.

7. There was ONE lamp in the whole place and my son had to fix it so it would work. The only other light was an overhead bright kitchen light and in the second room, there were what looked like vanity lights on a dresser. Those were also very bright. It would have been nice to have a lamp between the beds so that when it came time to sleep we would not fall over the beds trying to get to them.
8. Most of the time the toilet needed two flushes.
9. There was no screen in the window. If there had been a screen maybe there would not have been a bug in the room. It would also be good to have a screen to help keep people from putting their head out of the window and throwing things out.
10. The air conditioner worked well. However, the only room that was cool was the front room. It did not cool the second room at all.
11. It was very noisy. I know that they cannot control the people outside but they could have done something about all the late night noise that came from their other rooms.
12. The second day when we went out I saw the housekeeper in the room next to ours. I asked her if she was going to do our room and she said yes. When we got back that evening at around 7:45, she had not done anything to the room. I called the front desk and it went to your and got the front desk of a different hotel that had. I told them what happened. She said that I could take our used towels to the front desk and get fresh ones. That is not right. I paid for the room and I was not going to go out, around, and up to the desk.
They should have brought them to me. We used the towels that we brought for the pool. We never used the pool. It was much smaller than pictured and was full of small children. I could put up with the children if the pool was bigger.
13. The television was very small and located in the first room where there was one bed. Three of us had to sit on the bed to watch it. If it was in the second room, we could have all been able to watch it and be comfortable.
14. The refrigerator was not working properly. The freezer worked great but the main part was not cold. We had to put our sodas in the freezer for a little while so we could have a cold soda.

But by far the most serious of the problems:
15. When we were packing the car to leave on April 4 I tripped on the edge of the carpet and fell outside of
the room door. The rug was not properly tacked/glued down. I was very lucky that I was not seriously hurt. When I fell I hit the right side my head, right arm, right hip and right hand. What hurt me is my right hand from the smallest finger down to my wrist. My finger was very sore for several days.
I was so upset that all I wanted was to get as far away from there as I could. I turned in the room keys; I did not get a receipt, and was told, "You can leave now". We got on the road and then I thought that I should let them know that I fell so they could fix that rug so no one else gets hurt.
As well as to let them know that, my hand was hurting and if it did not get better that, I might need to see a doctor.
Their response to that was very rude and pretty much that they can do nothing about it. The whole point of calling them about it was so they could fix it. I had/have no intentions of suing them. I am not like that.
This was the WORST vacation I have ever had. The mess with that room pretty much ruined the last couple of days of our vacation. We were all very upset with that place. We will NEVER stay there again.

Room Tip: Don't choose this place. Run as far away from it as you can.
3 Thank ladytigger3850
Thank you for taking the time to comment on TripAdvisor. We appreciate any and all guest feedback. I would like to apologize for any inconvenience that you may have experienced during your stay with us. I thank you for voicing your concerns and bringing these issues to our attention. When you book through a third party booking engine, there is disclaimer’s listed that tells about the resort fees and hotel policies. We have refunded you the resort fees for your inconvenience. We appreciate you reporting the accident, and making us aware of any safety hazards. I will make sure that your complaints are forwarded to the appropriate department heads for further review so that the issues can be taken care of. Thank you again for the valuable input. It truly is appreciated. I hope you have a wonderful day.

Travelers are raving about these Myrtle Beach hotels

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

My family stayed there over the 4th of July 2012. When we booked everryone was so nice over the phone...made it sound so good. Internet pics and description were very deceivng!!! When we got there, no parking could be found, because they let the public use as beach access as well. So when we finally found a place to park, we had to walk forever to get to our room. Inside it was nasty and I mean nasty in the hallway. ( This should have been our first clue as to what our rooms would be like). Where shall I begin now....first off there was hair all over bathroom floor....carpet hadnt beeb vacuumed in room.....beds were in horrible shape....one bed was clearly broken.....the overall appearance of room was just nasty! The sliding door to balconoy would literally shock us pretty much every time we would open it to go out. We found this out the way when the 1 yr. and 3 yr. old would start screaming everytime they went to it.....we finally got a taste as to why they would start crying when they went to look out the door. It wasn't just a shock, it was like electricity would run through your body. As an adult it really hurt, so you can imagine how it felt to. a 1 and 3 yr. old child. When we reported it, by the time anyone would get to our room it had stopped, once they got gone it would start again. DANGEROUS!!! When we asked for extra pillows and clean towels....well lets just say I hope whoever stayed in our room next....didn't have to use our dirty towels. We get sure didn't get any,and the housekeepers couldn't speak a word of english! They were from Russia or somewhere, we found out later. That is just the tip of the iceburg as to problems and nastiness there. Wondering why we stayed? Well we couldnt find any rooms available anywhere else!!! After driving 7 hrs. with 3 kids who were excited about going to the beach for the first time, we couldn't sleep in the car or just drive back home. Plus we'd would have lost our deposit! Long story short....Not one time did they offer us another room (not saying it would have been better), nor did they offer to figure out what was going on with electrical problem we had with sliding door, nor did they offer to give us any type of refund.....even though we complained many times!!! Be Aware, Be Very Aware....and as for all the good reviews you see on here....well I don't know where they stayed exactly, cause it sure as Hell wasn't where we stayed!!!

• Stayed July 2012
3 Thank daritacl
Jacksonville, North Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

I have to start out by saying that the pictures that you have on your website and the actual rooms are not the same and when I asked if I could get a refund and just find something else the lady at the front desk said that I would still have to pay for the two nights, just for you to rent it to some other couple/family and get their money and mine and triple what that room is worth (really now that's really customer satisfaction). Let’s start from Friday (April 5, 2013 to April 7, 2013) at check in. When I was at the front desk there was people there checking out because of the condition on the hotel (I should have had the same idea they did). The front desk staff was friendly. Upon entering the room (118) there was a smell in the room, the bed sheets smelled like they had all been washed in cigarette smoke, there is mold in the corner of the tub, the water in the sink and the tub was leaking the WHOLE time I was there, the heater in the second room did not work, on Saturday morning there was NO hot water for my family to shower so we had to go to a friends’ room at the Paradise Hotel (where we should have stayed) and shower, there was cracks in the door which made it cold and only one AC/heater unit worked, the stove and refrigerator was NASTY, the pots under the sink and utensils was NASTY (I'm glad that I brought my own), there was under half a roll of tissue on the roll so we had to go and ask more. I have stayed in other hotels there in Myrtle Beach but NONE of them has ever been like this. My family and I travel there (to Myrtle Beach) twice a month for business. There was rooms that was rented to teenagers that were drinking and smoking marijuana in the rooms. When my daughter went to the front desk and asked for an extra towel and wash cloth on Friday night she was told that she had to bring the used ones back to exchange, even though our reservations stated that we had 2 adults and 2 kids. I took pictures of the bathroom to show how disgusting it was. My suggestion is to update the pictures online and take the pictures from room 118 and upload those so that people will know what they are getting into before they check into this hotel. It is not family orientated because I would never want my kids to have to stay in a hotel like this again. The parking garage was a nightmare, I had to call the front desk because there was cars parked in the exit and the employees going around doing nothing about it. Cars parked in the handicapped parking that was clearly NOT handicapped. and the staffed not saying or doing anything. There is no way you can rent these rooms and expect people to pay $72 for them it is not worth it. Maybe if I was 18 and under this hotel would have been the best thing since slice bread but I'm not and this place will be somewhere I will warn everyone that I know and don't know about. I am planning on going on the websites and make sure they know about the quality of this hotel. The only good thing was Sunday when I was checking out.

Room Tip: For this hotel dont go by th epictures.. Its not what you get when you enter the rooms..
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to fill out a review on TripAdvisor. We appreciate any and all guest feedback. I would like to apologize for any inconvenience that you may have experienced during your recent stay with us. It is not typical for housekeeping to be lacking in the services that you have mentioned in your complaint, however errors are made and I’m sorry if anything was overlooked during your visit. I will make sure these issues and concerns are brought to the attention of our director of housekeeping for further review so they can be addressed with individual employees. I have also forward the maintenance complaints to the department head. Unfortunately, we cannot control everyone’s actions, but we attempt to rectify any unsatisfactory situation, as soon as it is discovered. Thank you again for your valuable input. I hope you have a wonderful day.
Bogart, Georgia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

The worst hotel ever! I was padlocked out of my room while on the beach with all of my belongings in the room. They accused me of not checking in. Had to go to office in my bathing suit with no proof of who I was of anything except a room key. I politely waited 20minutes in line for the hotel clerk to yell at me and say I wasnt checked in. I had paid a month in advance and checked in the previous day by another clerk. I gave her my name and she then called someone and said "Oh you good. I will have someone take the lock off" That was it, no I am sorry for your inconvenience or yelling at you! Then the hot tub was 80 degrees and the whole place was sketchy. If I hadnt of paid upfront then I would have left.You had to go through a cloud of cigarette smoke from the housekeepers hanging out in the parking garage to get to the indoor pool. I could go on for days.

Room Tip: Dont choose one here!
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank csm1342
povmgmt, General Manager at Polynesian Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to comment on tripadvisor. We appreciate any and all guest feedback. I would like to apologize for any inconvenience that you may have experienced during your stay with us. I thank you for voicing your concerns and bringing these issues to our attention. I will make sure that your complaints are forwarded to the appropriate department heads for further review so that the issues can be taken care of. Thank you again for the valuable input. It truly is appreciated. I hope you have a wonderful day.
Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013 via mobile

I must admit that after reading all the negative reviews on here after booking our 2 bedroom w kitchen suite for 3 nights I was very scared. I thought to myself what did I just get us into. The whole car drive down I dwelled on it nervous of what we would find. Then we arrived. Parking was EASY and CONVENIENT to find. Check it time was at 3pm and we got there at 1pm tired from the 13hr trip so I went in to see if we could do an early check in. Again given the poor reviews on the staff I didn't expect much. To my surprise not only did they let me check us in early but they put us in a different suite so we could go right up to our room.The staff was super friendly as well. I was already expecting to pay a little more at check in for the resort fee so I wasn't shocked when I was charged for it. The thing that did shock me was that between trips of lugging our stuff up to the room I was stopped by the gentleman who checked us in while he informed me I had already paid the resort fee when I booked online through Priceline and the resort fee I had just paid was refunded back to me. WOW talk about great customer service. The room was clean and cozy and the beds were clean and MOLD FREE. I wasn't afraid to sleep in them and I tend to be a germaphobe. The kitchenette was clean and RUST FREE with plenty of dishes for our needs. The bathroom was clean as well. A little mildew in the grout but nothing like what these people have made it to be and honestly what older bathroom doesn't have a little character. The indoor pool was heated and very VERY nice as well as the hot tub. All in all me and my family had a wonderful stay at the Polynesian. Bottom Line this isn't the Hilton or the Ritz. If all you are used to are 5 star resorts then pay that price for a beach location and you will get what you paid for. I haven't ever stayed in anything less than 3 stars ever but I must say I was very pleasantly surprised and in my opinion the Polynesian deserves at least 3 stars. I have stayed in LaQuinta Inns with 3.5 stars that were worse than my stay here. Well done Polynesian well done.

• Stayed March 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank f8sd0g
Thank you for taking the time to comment on tripadvisor. We appreciate any and all guest feedback. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. We would be happy to have you as a guest with us again in the future. If there is anything that you may need, please do not hesitate to contact us. We are here to assist you with your reservation needs. Have a wonderful day!
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

Please pay attention to these reviews. I didn't, and it cost me 75.00 cancellation fee. The room was filthy and I mean filthy. The roll of toilet paper on roller actually had poop stains on it. I videotaped it. A vacuum has not seen this floor. I would dare say crabs are alive and well in the sheets too. There were many
prepaid guest trying to get their money back.

• Stayed March 2013