“The Magical Spirit of Ireland”
Review of Palace Theatre - CLOSED

Palace Theatre
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Performance theater that seats 2,700 offering live musicals, broadway style productions, celebrity performances. Current home of "Hot Jersey Nights" and "Illusions of Magic".
Reviewed January 16, 2010

We took my parents to see this show. As they are from a pretty rural midwestern area and don't see any kind of live entertainment, they were happy with the show, and that's all I really wanted. But then there's MY opinion.

The show is set in a very small theater with about 100 seats. Compared to the building, this is a closet. I think a few others thought this as well and the whole thing was a bit awkward. They set up a few chairs in the back, so maybe we ended up with 120 people in the audience.

The show may start at 6 pm, but you'll still have plenty of time for dinner. It only lasts about an hour, and that includes a 10 minute intermission for you to go out and buy their CD. Add another 10 minutes if you want to walk out the door after the show and get them to autograph it for you.

There was lots of on-stage "talk: about the "12 Irish Tenors", and many of the local billboards show just that. The problem is that for this show, all you get is 2 of them. I felt a bit more than deceived by the ads. All promos and even the website picture 7-10 dancers. Not for this show. There are only 4 - total. There are no glitzy stages, lighting or backdrops as promos also would indicate. I am still trying to figure out where "The Magical Spirit" comes in, because it wasn't in the stage decor, the presentation, or the performance. There are a only couple of stage curtains with Christmas lights that are apparently supposed to be stars. Someone also squirted about 20 seconds of fog machine onto the stage... for ambiance, I guess. I've seen better home theaters and a lot more stage work go into prep for elementary school class plays.

The tenors were okay, but the older one had a few pitch problems from time to time. Someone else thought maybe they were lip-synching, but I don't think so. What I heard wasn't good enough quality. Standard Irish songs were included that I guess you can't do a show like this without like Danny Boy and When Irish Eyes Are Smilin. Also included are non-Irish songs that work for tenors like The Rose, Josh Groban's You Raise me up, and then some Phantom of the Opera. I would have thought a few Irish pub songs would have made the cut, but probably not enough room for that in the show by the time you add a couple of very old jokes, over-rehearsed and unnatural bantering, and the self-congratulatory ("fantastic and incredible") rhetoric. I've never heard artists give their own reviews like these guys. I wish I could tell you they were indeed Irish. But either the performance and lines were so contrived and forced that the brogue became stilted, or these were a couple of slightly above average crooners trying to do Irish schtick. I couldn't tell.

The dancers were MUCH better, though again... only 4 of them. Great steps, attractive ladies, and a few costumes, but don't go expecting River Dance. It's not close. These dancers had enough experience that they could have easily put together pieces of choreography from other shows, and it looks as though that's what happened. Don't get me wrong. These ladies are in great shape and knew their stuff. Each might have even been great in a better show. But nothing stood out and I never said, "WOW!"

As far as the website's self-review comment, " This fantastic new show enjoys thunderous applause and standing ovations nightly! " Mmm, no it doesn't. Most of the crowd had a decent time and there was a nice applause, but nobody thought about standing and most were eager to leave. There was no measurable audience buzz.

If this were the only act in town, it's probably better than staying home and watching the news. But there is so much to do in Myrtle Beach that this show just needs to be put in a corner and let die.

6  Thank Papadoc1000

Reviewed October 1, 2009

We went to the show, expecting Irish dancing and Irish music. Wouldn't you? The girls danced maybe 4-5 times (?) and were pretty good, although my daughter is an Irish dancer (age 12) and she and her classmates could do as good a show, if not better. We expected a sprinkling of male dancers too, and there were none. I saw one of the dancers kick the wrong way even when the others were kicking the opposite way. Then they danced a tap dance at one point and did a song with their hands. All of that had nothing to do with Irish or Ireland. The name of the show is the Spirit of Ireland. The men sang well, but they didn't sing much Irish music. They sang 2 Italian songs (what the?) and Phantom of the Oprah and a military song we've never heard before. And to want to sell their cd's, they pushed it (ok, once is ok), but they talked and pushed the cd over and over again. It wasn't humorous to keep pushing. The cd's were on sale right at the door as you walked out so if someone wanted one, they could get it then. Overall, a VERY BIG DISAPPOINTMENT. We even went to complain at intermission and again at the end, and the staff didn't care about our comments or concerns. The stage and seating was small and tight and although we were assured all seats are good because the venue was small, the seats were at a very small angle so a lot of seats were not good, especially if you got a tall person in front of you.

3  Thank SPB82583
Reviewed September 7, 2009

I have seen Magic shows all across the country and have seen David Copperfield, Lance Burton, Mac King, Terry Evanswood, Greg Frewin, and a lot of others- Brett Daniels is a very good magician and has a greatly entertaining show. Making the Parrots appear out of thin air was great, as they do not like to sit still and his sleight of hand was pretty good as well. There is coupons available in any Myrtle Beach Coupon Book to save some money and when you get there they offer you a chance to see a second show at the theater for only $20. Brett did have a few technical problems with a couple of tricks and one you could see how it was done easily. But over all a very entertaining show. His personality is not star quality, but it was not horrible either! The clown "Dizzy" did steal the show a couple of times. Would I see him again, No, but I am gald I did see him once.

We saw Le Grande Cirque for the $20 special and it was a great show as always. We saw it before two years ago! The Frenchman dog and cat act needs to go though!

Reviewed August 24, 2009

Show starts with a little comedy (very entertaining), When Daniels takes the stage it is magical. He does illusions I have not seen anywhere else. When a magician levitates girls to the top of the theater thats amazing, but then he flies up with them. He is also very skillful at close-up. The show was better than Copperfield.
Who ever posted : "The show was bad" absolutely does not know anything about magic or magicians! Great job, loved the levitations & close-up. Every one else was great also.

Reviewed August 20, 2009

I can not believe that some reviewer did not like this show. Our family loved it. The illusions were AWESOME and the show excellent. I would highly recommend this activity for all ages. I greatly appreciated the talent and skill that went into the numerous acts in the show. Simply great entertainment! Thanks for bringing this act to Myrtle Beach.