“Not so great”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Richmond, VA
“Not so great”
Reviewed August 1, 2006

I have no idea why this is ranked so high.
We stayed across the street from the ocean at the main hotel. The room was tiny, barely room to fit in the queen bed and still walk between the table and bed (and I am not large). Kitchenette is remarkably small and basically takes up one wall of the tiny room... it is not really a kitchen area. When laying a suitcase on the floor at the foot of the bed, can barely walk between the bag and the refrigerator. Old paint and stains on walls. While showering, even I can reach the ceiling at 5 foot six, palm flat on the ceiling.
Entire room was dingy. Fuse box is visible on wall. This is definitely the lowest end hotel I have stayed at. I would have been better off at a holiday inn.
The pool and lazy river are ok, and appear clean, although the lazy river is tiny.
There is nothing in the area (walking) in the way of bars etc.
The price was good compared to other hotels when booking last second for one night, but at $124 per night with tax this was a joke! I only intended this to be one cheap night of hotel before checking into my vacation rental, but still had I known any other hotels in the area I would not have stayed here.
On the plus side:
I did not see any bugs in the room.

• Liked — Pool, across street from ocean. Has full-sized refrigerator.
  • Disliked — Room tiny, dingy, stains. Nothing good in the area.
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay elsewhere! If you do stay here, don't expect much. And plan on a taxi ride to anything worth going to.
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JenniferP

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (283)
  • Turkish first
Lakewood CO
Reviewed July 31, 2006

I have had the greatest pleasure lodging here (Best Western-Grand Strand Inn and Suites) during our visit to the Myrtle Beach area from July 23 to July 26, 2006.

We stayed at a suite which I certainly considered palatial in nature. We had a complete kitchen amply supplied with all the necessary tableware and ammenities for life away from home. Add to this, a well furnished living room and spacious bedroom placed in a quiet area of the Inn with scant throughfare, if any. Considering its proximity to the beach and lavish accomodations, the daily rate was more than a great bargain. All the staff starting from the owner to the housekeeping staff spared no effort in accomodating our every need and desire for comfort and convenience.

During my stay, I have had the pleasure of making the acquaintance of Mr. Jack Robertson, the owner of this outstanding facility. He personally saw that our lodging experience would be one for the record books. I am more than confident that he would make your stay with Best Western-Grand Strand Inn and Suites as comfortable and memorable as he has made ours.

3 Thank credence
Virginia
Reviewed July 28, 2006

Just returned from a four night stay at the BW Grand Strand in Myrtle Beach. We had an oceanfront room in the OF building. First, I have mixed feelings about our stay here because....
Upon arrival/check-in, the lobby is located right off a busy street and there is absolutely NO parking room or pull thru space! Check-in was also SLOW as one lady was working the counter. Guests were waiting in line with me in their wet swimsuits and barefeet for complimentary pool towels!!!!!!!!!!
It's nice that the hotel offers the towels, but they don't need to do it right there in the lobby/check-in counter!!
The oceanfront rooms/building is quite nice. The smell in the hallways is pungent of some cleaner that smells like musk cologne and it is strong!! The building and rooms have been renovated and are appropriately decorated. Room was clean. Bathroom was a bit too small and didn't have enough lighting. Kitchenette cabinets need to be replaced---(they just look like an out-dated sytle). Balcony was very nice with the rockers, and was quite roomy. Access to the beach was good as well. The elevator in the oceanfront building was SLOW, SLOW, SLOW!! We had a room on the second floor so we always took the stairs after the first couple of times on the SLOW elevator. I was afraid we'd get stuck in it and miss out on some vacation time!
The worst part of the oceanfront building was the parking!!!!!!! There simply are not enough spaces for the guests in the oceanfront building. The hotel is finishing up putting in an indoor pool area, but I would say instead of wasting time and money on this, they need to address the parking issue. The indoor pool is going to be WAY TOO SMALL anyhow, so rather than put this in, the hotel should have paved for more parking spaces.
Hotel is located right on grand strand and we didn't really like that--too noisy and crowded.
I suppose we'd stay here again if we had too. I'd choose it over other places I've stayed in MB before, but driving around in North Myrtle Beach gave us ideas of some more, better, and up scale places to stay. Plus, North Myrtle Beach is less commercial and congested.
All in all, this hotel is not bad. Stay in OF building and I think you'll enjoy your stay.

• Liked — Clean oceanfront rooms that are newly renovated and redecorated
  • Disliked — Oceanfront building lack of parking, location of hotel, noisy, crowded
  • Tips/Secrets — Beware of the lack of parking spaces when staying in OF building, and if you want privacy, quiet, and peace, don't stay here.
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
2 Thank misyn02
New Egypt, New Jersey
Reviewed July 24, 2006

We just returned from a terrific week at the Best Western Grand Strand's oceanfront building. The building has been recently renovated and construction is ongoing (they were installing the pool last week). Our oceanfront suite was clean, nicely decorated and well maintained. The private balcony with rockers gave us a wonderful view of the ocean and beautiful beach - very tranquil and relaxing.

Just to add my 2 cents to some of the previous comments, yes, the breakfast lines and elevators are slow. But you are on vacation, so what's the hurry? This is nitpicking IMHO.

The front desk folks were very nice and helpful. The owner should be commended for putting money and work into improving the hotel. My only suggestions for improvement are 1) add a laundry to the oceanfront building, since it is inconvenient to haul laundry back and forth across the street and 2) enlarge the pool's kiddie area beyond the tiny portion sectioned off. My 4-year old doesn't swim yet and was very uncomfortable in the pool.

All in all, I would highly recommend this hotel, especially the oceanfront building. Thanks for a great vacation!!

• Liked — Lovely oceanfront suites
  • Disliked — Crossing busy street to reach other facility
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay in the beachfront building!
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
2 Thank MrsPine
Reviewed July 10, 2006

OK, well, we stayed at the Best Western based on the online reviews. They were right, the rooms were clean and newly renovated, the staff was nice, check in/out was very smooth, but this is not what I would consider a hotel that should rate as number 4 in popularity. The rooms were small, the parking was difficult, and the hotel facilities were not easy to get to. The guest laundry was on the third floor in a separate building, so in order to use it, I had to go down the stairs and back up three flights of stairs only to relaize that there was no detergent in the veding machine up there. I then go back down the three flights of stairs and over to the main lobby and use the vending machines and then go back up three flights of stairs to start the laundry..then over and over again to put them in the dryer and then to take them back to the room.

The breakfast area was small and inconvenient. The pools were nice and overall I felt safe and relatively happy. I will not stay here again because of the size of the rooms and the inconveniences of the chopped up layout of the buildings. Yes, you get what you pay for, but the difference may mean there will be room to move around in the room.

• Stayed July 2006
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 10, 2006

Our family went for the 4th of July weekend. That could have been our first mistake. When we arrived we did not have a room reserved for us-although we had already payed one night's rate. Customer service was not helpful at all and actually told us we could get our money back and look for somewhere else to stay. With two small kids ready to have a great weekend that was not acceptable. Finally they booked our room for 2 nights but for the 3rd night we had to move to another room, on another floor, and minus one bed we had originally asked for upon making reservations. The staff was not friendly, the rooms were somewhat dated, and we did not bother to go for the continental breakfast located directly in the lobby where the reservations are made and 5feet from the restrooms. The staff was not epithatic at all & showed no concern nor compassion for any of our needs. Would not stay here again.

• Stayed June 2006
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 5, 2006

My wife and I just returned from a 4 day/3 night stay. Picked the Best Western Grand Strand based on Trip Advisor reviews. While the reviews were generally accurate (decent location, accomodating staff, renovated, construction but not too annoying), some other things detracted. The main hotel on one side of the street and oceanside on the other (where we stayed) meant we had no on-site security or service. Room service failed to show up our second day and repeated calls got promises but no correction. We finally settled for clean towels at 8:00 pm. The continental breakfast so highly rated by some was just OK. Not a bad place, but not as good as the reviews I read suggested. I will stay somewhere else next time, but would return if I couldn't find anything better. Hence my description - only adequate.

• Stayed July 2006