“Very clean place and a pleasant stay!”

Best Western Plus Grand Strand Inn & Suites
Ranked #18 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Kernersville, NC
“Very clean place and a pleasant stay!”
Reviewed September 10, 2008

I picked this place only because I cashed in some of my rewards points from my credit card for a Best Western gift card. Our stay was from Sept 6-9, 2008. We normally stay in North Myrtle, but I was pleasantly surprised with the accommodations at the Grand Strand Inn. I had never stayed at a Best Western and was not sure what to expect. We found the check-in friendly and easy. I had booked an ocean view room on their website, so I figured we would be staying in the section of the hotel that is across the street from the beach. It was great to find out we had an oceanfront room! Looking around in the lobby, hallways, room, etc. I couldn't help but notice how CLEAN everything was. Everything was just spotless, even in the elevator, and usually at the beach at a lot of places, the elevators stay wet and musty. Not here! The room was nice and had a kitchenette with a full size refrigerator, a microwave and a stove. I only checked out the continental breakfast once, but it was nice with muffins, danishes, waffles, the usual fare and good HOT coffee.
One thing I would like to point out is the indoor pool is on the beach side, and the outdoor pool and lazy river was on the other side of the street. I wish that had been reversed, because it is nice to have a pool right by the ocean, but no big deal. I guess the only complaint I have was the lazy river was not as clean as everything else. The pool was immaculate though. Overall, a very pleasant stay, and I will be confident in booking a Best Western again for future travel needs.
I also need to mention that my original travel plans were to be there on Friday Sept 5. With the approach of Tropical Storm Hanna, I called to see if we could bump the reservation 1 day to Saturday. The lady I spoke with was so nice, and said no problem. I asked if there would be an extra charge for changing and she said "Oh no, not a problem or charge at all." How refreshing!!!!

• Liked — very clean!
  • Disliked — would have liked the outside pool on the beach side of the street.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (287)
  • Turkish first
Roanoke, Va
Reviewed September 7, 2008

The rooms are good, the location is good. The staff could have been more welcoming. However we do plan on staying there again in the near future. Good deal for the money.

• Liked — Price
  • Disliked — Front desk staff
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
ontario
Reviewed August 21, 2008

The last thing anyone wants is to get hyped up on their vacation and the be disappointed when they show up to their hotel to find out it is run down. It can be a real sore point and take away from the sun and the sand. This is not one of those hotels.

Staff were excellent and very helpful.
Room we stayed in was exceptional as it was the suite.
Pool is in very good condition.
You can tell the facility maintanance is a focus.

Stayed August 2008
krockc3
Reviewed August 12, 2008

Our experience couldn't have been better. The rooms were clean and comfortable (and huge!). The staff was great. Our kids loved the pool and lazy river. Even the sweet ladies who came by to clean up and restock the rooms treated us like we were family. I wasn't aware that the Grand Strand offered this level of accomodation and service at the prices available.

• Liked — Hotel personnel
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
bpt ct
Reviewed July 28, 2008

We have never been to Myrtle Beach or South Carolina and went strictly by the information we found on the WWW. The room we chose was fully equipped with a kitchen and sit down area which provided us with a comfort of home. Our room had two beds, very comfortable, plenty of pillows and well maintain by the housekeepers. The view was spectacular, we could sit for hours and watch the beach front waves and enjoy seeing the activities all day and night. There was an indoor pool and hot tub at the ocean front hotel as well as the outdoor pool and hot tub which also had a river pool for the kids, and I use it too, I must admit, fun for all. At the front desk was a gentleman named Wayne who very helpful in providing us with brochures, and calling reliable transportation as we needed it. My wife and I had a wonderful time and highly recommend to anyone looking for the same to book a stay at the Best Western Grand Strand Inn and Suites.
One tip, the hotel does not tower the sky and therefore the beach front was not as crowded. Keep in mind that higher hotels more guest and the beach gets more crowed. This gave a more pleasant distance between the rented umbrellas.

• Liked — beach front
  • Disliked — having to leave
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
New Jersey
Reviewed July 25, 2008

So we had a horrible experience with the first hotel we booked so left that hotel and started searching for another one. Anything economical was pretty much booked for the weekend and although I had seen the hotel from a previous visit to MB I was not overly impressed. However, the price was right and we got one of the last rooms left b4 there was no vacancies. Anyhoo, about our room. It was located across the street from the ocean but our balcony view had a beautiful view of the ocean so I still felt like it was an oceanview room. The room was clean and smelled good, which is always a good sign that the facility is well kept, although the property was a bit older. My rule of thumb is to go to only newer hotels, but if I had to choose an older hotel, this would be the one. The beds and bed sheets/tv was updated and you could tell. Now it was a bit like fort knox with the room key deposit (cash), arm bands for breakfast, had to use key to get ice (which is outside and exposed so understandable). One of the best experiences was meeting the owner who just happened to be still working at 8pm in evening. He mentioned they will continue to do upgrades and improve upon the facility and you can tell by just speaking to him he cares enought to put money back into the facility. Very nice guy and down to earth. Good breakfast, healthful and pastrie dishes available. And the pool, THE cleanest I have encountered at ANY myrtle beach property. Very family oriented facility and it was nice to be able to sit on the balcony and watch the people walk by at night. All and all enjoyable stay especially for those with young ones or on a budget.

• Liked — service, price
  • Disliked — location
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
Lake Jackson, TX
Reviewed July 16, 2008

I am a single adult male who stayed on the first floor of the North Building located on Ocean Boulevard. I stayed at the Best Western Grand Strand Inn & Suites during the weeked of July 11th to July 13th, 2008.

The other reviews are correct the North, Center and South Buildings are located on Ocean Boulevard while the Beachfront Building is located across Ocean Boulevard on Myrtle Beach. If you are staying in either the North, Center and South Buildings, you will have to cross Ocean Boulevard which can be very busy at times. So, in the meantime, try not to get hit by any cars while crossing the street.

I have to admit that this is a clean hotel but the North, Center and South Buildings are in need of another remodel. When I say remodel, I mean that these buildings could use some new paint, carpeting, and other amenities to look like a modern hotel. This is truly a family oriented motel and the constant coming and goings of familys have taken it's toll on the motel. For the record, I did not go into the Beachfront Building so I cannot rate the condition of that building but, I have to admit that it did look very nice and clean on the outside.

My room was very nice and clean however, it just looked old and "run-down". I noticed that I was missing some washclothes but, that was not a problem, the staff promptly brought them at my request.

PROS: family oriented hotel; continental breakfast; friendly and helpfull staff; it is very quiet from 11 PM to 7 AM; complementary internet access; plenty of parking; and it is located extremely close to 17th Ave S. which makes getting to Myrtle Beach Airport very easy.

CONS: hotel is located far from all of the main attractions and restaurants that Myrtle Beach has to offer; have to cross Ocean Ocean Boulevard to get to the beach; and the hotel is in a very clean but "run- down" condition.

OTHER INFO: if you book this hotel ahead of time on Best Western.com they will immediately charge you for the first night; you have to wear an arm bracelet (supplied by hotel) in order to access the continental breakfast; if you drive a car to the hotel, you have to register your vehicle (give make, model, and license plate number) with the hotel to avoid having it towed if you park there.

• Liked — It was a quiet hotel.
  • Disliked — The "run-down" condition of the hotel.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled solo