“Lazy river!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
San Marcos, California
“Lazy river!”
Reviewed September 27, 2013

Our 3-night stay at this facility was more than we expected. The rooms were impeccably clean and comfortable. The staff was friendly and well-informed. The amenities were terrific. Just steps from the beach, it offers an indoor pool and outdoor pool -- complete with a lazy river! The price was right and they offer an AARP discount, to boot. If you're looking for a place with more action, you'll need to look farther up the beach, but this was a perfect spot to hang out with easy access to everything the area has to offer.

Room Tip: The main building is across the street from the beach. Save a few dollars and stay here, rather tha...
Green Features: Clean sweep TV remotes, recycle bins in the rooms and all over the facility.
1 Thank BabsNMarty
Jack R, Owner at BEST WESTERN PLUS Grand Strand Inn & Suites, responded to this review, October 5, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and especially that you took advantage of our pool facilities. We love our lazy river, and are glad that you were pleased with it, as well! It's always great to hear that we exceed our guests' expectations, and enable you to have pleasant and relaxing vacation. Thanks again for the review. We'll see you next time!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
  • Turkish first
Taylor Mill
Reviewed September 26, 2013

This was the second time staying at this hotel and again I enjoyed my stay. Kelli at the front desk was very nice and was able to assign me the room I requested. The house keeping staff was very nice. They made sure the room was very very clean.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

United States
Reviewed September 26, 2013

Within walking distance of the beach. Has an on sight pool & lazy river. Rooms & beds were very comfortable.Very quoit Breakfast was awesome. Very quite outside during the night. Staff was very kind and always ready to help.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Norwich, Connecticut
Reviewed September 25, 2013

My husband and I originally booked a different hotel via Hotwire, but after reading some poor reviews, we decided to book the Best Western based on the good reviews. It's very convenient to the beach -- even if you aren't staying in a beachfront property, you can walk less than five minutes and it's there. We even had a slight oceanview. The room was huge. I think we booked a king suite as we had a seating area with kitchen. The seating area was very dark and the only window opened up to a hallway. The air conditioner in that room was really loud so we kept it off which made it warm. The kitchen was nice, although since we were only there two nights, we only used the fridge to keep our Cheerwine cool. The bathroom was nice, but the tub was really high so I had a difficult time getting in and out of it, and I'm a perfectly mobile adult. The shower also had a slow drain. The bedroom itself was nice. The breakfast, like many have said, was okay but it gets so crowded that we just went and bought our breakfast instead of wrestling with the lines. Overall, it was a decent hotel, but I'd probably look elsewhere in the future.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback. I'm so sorry to hear that you weren't fully pleased with your room. I do wish that you would have let my staff know that you were hoping for something different. We have over 21 different room types, in an effort to accommodate every type of party. We would have been happy, for example, to place you in a room that had more windows or a different style of bath tub. My maintenance staff would have also appreciated that opportunity to address the noise coming from the air conditioner and the slow drain. I have somebody on staff 24/7 for issues such as these. Regardless, I am deeply sorry that we did not meet your expectation in every area of your stay. I hope that, despite the inconveniences, you will give us another try in the future. We strive to provide every customer with an exceptional experience, and we would love another opportunity to serve you.
Fayetteville, Arkansas
Reviewed September 25, 2013

We usually stay at Marriott with points but they were booked up for "point stay" so I chose Best Western due to the cleanliness reviews and travelers pictures. We selected a room on the beachfront and paid extra. It was worth it! . I am sitting now on the balcony and I have nothing in between me and the ocean:) We are on the third floor and the view is great.

Room: tile in the kitchen and bathroom. Carpet in the bed area. The carpet is worn but vacuum clean. The AC unit vent is approximately 12 inches from the nearest queen bed and when it blows cold air at night it will freeze out the person(s) in that bed. We suffered our first night. To remedy this we left our sliding glass door open, which in turns automatically shuts off the AC. We closed our balcony drapes to keep the bugs out while we slept and enjoyed hearing the crashing waves throughout the night. Mission accomplished.

The Bathroom: clean and plenty of towels. The shower curtain looked torn in several places by the rings so I asked if they could replace it and they did, right away. With another curtain in the same condition. I laughed with the maintenance man and apologized that maybe that is the "style". Maintenance guy also cleaned out the drain bc we had some standing water as you took a shower. He handled it promptly.

Kitchen: dish soap provided so you can wash your dishes. A plastic drink pitcher also came in handy. Microwave and stove was very clean. Full size refrigerator with automatic ice maker. Nice.

Bed Situation: The mattress and box-springs were encased in clean zippered coverings. Yes, I do check for bed bugs ( I am that way). The pillows also had clean, white zippered casings underneath pillow case. We had two queens beds and typical of MOST hotel and/or resort is a "soup bowl" mattress. We found this trend to continue at this hotel. No, we are not heavy weights.

Breakfast: they keep this area very clean and I appreciate it. Go early to avoid the busy families, 6:30-9:30am. Breakfast was typical. They did have sausage patties and I saw an earlier reviewer stated no meat substance. Kudos for BW owner to monitor the reviews and respond accordingly.

Balcony: Awesome view of the ocean, no parking lot etc. It has two wood rockers and a small beverage table. Only caveat: someone was smoking on their balcony and their smoke somehow made its way to my balcony :(. So when they left it was bliss again.

Parking: Always found a spot at our oceanfront building. Same for the main building.

Restaurants: Bovines in Murrells Inlet >AVOID, unless you enjoy INSTANT MASHED-POTATOES on a $28.95 Fish dinner plate and BAGGED salad (COSTCO fish and shrimp). We assumed fresh caught fish would be served since we are sitting on the Atlantic. Oh well.

Staff: Polite room cleaners. Cookie was the first maid I met, lovely lady. The maintenance guy was polite and helpful. Front desk was friendly and helpful.

Tomorrow is check out. Unless something goes sideways, I can recommend this place :)

Room Tip: Third floor or above on ocean front
Emmitsburg, Maryland
Reviewed September 25, 2013

First off, the absolute best thing about this hotel is the staff. Whether it be a manager, clerk or housekeeper, every single staff member we came in contact with was very friendly and eager to please. There is a lot of competition in MB for tourist $$'s, and they work hard to make your stay here pleasant.
The room had a single queen, plus full size fridge, a stove top and sink, which were very helpful with my wife's dietary needs. And though not a large room, it was very comfortable for us, and was kept spotlessly clean by housekeeping.
The building we stayed in, on the west side of the street, is a bit older but is good repair. The "condo" on the east side is newer, but doesn't seem any more appealing.
Good breakfast - crowded. Here again, staff worked very, very hard to keep lines moving and get people their food. A manager pitched in making waffles for folks for quite a while, which was a great help. Good conversation with other patrons in the room.
It's an easy walk to the beach, or most of the downtown area. Don't necessarily have plans to go to MB again, but if I do will check out this hotel first. We enjoyed this place very much.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your positive words, and especially for your compliments regarding our customer service. We appreciate that you notice the efforts we put into making our guests' experiences excellent (including making waffles in the mornings!). We truly believe in providing customer service, and do our best to be friendly and helpful in every way. Thank you, also, for your feedback regarding the room. I'm glad that you had such a great time. If you ever make your way back to Myrtle Beach, we'll be glad to welcome you back!
Reviewed September 25, 2013

Stayed here four days and was very happy with the room,the location,the price,and the breakfast! It's not on the beach,but you can see the ocean from the third and fourth floors.Parking is tight,especially in interior courtyard,but is better around exterior lots,not a big issue.Room smelled of fresh carpet,and was spotless...like it was just built or renovated.Bed was super-comfortable!!!Courtyard has pool,hot tub,and lazy river.We had a great time,and would DEFINITELY stay here again!

• Stayed September 2013