“Enjoyed my stay”

GreenLeadersSilver level
E. Pittsburgh, United States
“Enjoyed my stay”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

The room was clean and attractive with a private balcony on the ocean. The elevator wasn't working when I arrived and carried my things to the 4th floor, but was repaired shortly after it was reported. All staff members were friendly and helpful. The ample complimentary breakfast included make-your-own waffles, scrambled eggs and sausage. My rating would be "excellent" if it were less pricey!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (278)
  • Turkish first
Toronto
Reviewed August 10, 2013

We were passing through smithsville on the way to Myrtle Beach. The hotel was very spacious and clean. It was steps away from the outlets so we had the bonus of a little shopping before we got to our final destination. The children enjoyed swimming in the pool and the breakfast was good. My husband raved about the water (he enjoyed his shower!) I would stop here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

1 Thank MVPARP
McLean, Virginia
Reviewed August 7, 2013

After reading many reviews on Trip Advisor, I selected the Best Western Plus Grand Strand. Compared to other hotels offering similar amenities, the Best Western was a good deal. Check in went smoothly, as did check out, although I did have to wait for the front desk people to get to me. I would suggest that if there is a line, then two staff members don't need to be helping the same guest, even if the guest is having an issue. The hotel is across Ocean Blvd from the ocean, but it's a short walk. We got extremely lucky with our room. It was to have been non-oceanfront, but actually, it was. We looked across an empty lot to the ocean. No elevators to our room, although there was an elevator to other parts of this building. The room was spacious and very nicely decorated. Immediately, we all commented on how nice it smelled. The terrace was great. Two sturdy white rocking chairs, and plenty of room. It overlooks Ocean Blvd., so it was pretty loud, with all the traffic. The pool is a good size one, with depths of 9 feet, so diving was possible. I'd recommend a few more chaise lounges, but I always managed to get one, as did the other 3 in my group. The managers did a good job in keeping it clean, and ushering people out at midnight. The lazy river was small, and kind of tight to maneuver, but the kids enjoyed it. I saw some adults in there, as well. It was turned on at 9 a.m., but one morning, I saw 2 adult men in there at 8:30 -- no current, so what's the point? The breakfast buffet has early hours. 6:30-9:30. Sometimes, the line is very long. The food was good. Scrambled eggs, waffles, cereal, breads and danishes, some fruit, sausage, and very tasty sausage gravy. The food and juices were always replenished. Sometimes the coffee wasn't, though. I didn't care, not being a coffee drinker, but there were some in my group who couldn't find coffee a few times. If I could make a recommendation, for flow, I'd put the plates at the front of the line, with the utensils, and the drinks at the end. The parking was never an issue. There are a couple of spots that you have to back up out of in, right onto Ocean Blvd. We did that. Once. Throughout the day and evening, we came and went, and upon our return, always found parking close to the stairwell we needed to use. Some vehicles should've parked on the side, bordering The Virginian hotel, since the parking spaces near the pool are hard for large SUVs to get out off. We saw one large SUV, even with help from guests at the pool, hit the pool fence trying to get out. They have vending machines, and ice machines. We had to ask housekeeping what the trick was with the ice machine...you have to keep your room card IN it while getting ice. The housekeepers were quite friendly and nice. Warm and helpful. Greeted us with "good mornings" when we passed by. We didn't need anything but towels on our 2nd day, and they were quick to give us a lot of fresh,clean towels. They did a fabulous job at keeping up with the vacuuming and cleaning. So many hotels are disgusting. Dirty. Not this one. Everyone in our group of 4 felt comfortable and relaxed in the room. The beds were comfortable, as were the pillows. The little mini comforter, though, kept sliding off. I guess these half comforters are the new thing in hotel bedding, because I see them in other chains. They don't do much to keep you warm, and they don't stay on the bed. Most of the time, they're on the floor, which isn't good. None of us had any trouble falling asleep due to any discomfort. The individual temp control in the room worked wonderfully. One person in our group wanted it very cold, set it at 72, and it was indeed cold! The kitchenette had more to it than I expected. I didn't really need anything more than a mini fridge and microwave, and we got more than that. There was a full size, very clean fridge. A clean, working microwave. A mini range. Pots and pans, utensils, plates. EVen a small bottle of dishwashing liquid. Everything was working and clean. All in all, very enjoyable experience. it's an excellent value, and the hotel is not run down, seedy, poorly maintained, or anything like some of the hotels within walking distance. You don't want to go on vacation and feel like the place is crawling with unseen vermin, and you have to keep your shoes on at all times. None of us felt that way. In fact, one of the people is planning to return next summer to the very same hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

2 Thank JOANN W
Jack R, Owner at Best Western Plus Grand Strand Inn & Suites, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Thank you so much for your thorough and detailed review! I am sure that future guests appreciate your comments as a way to better prepare for their own vacations. Thank you, too, for your helpful suggestions about various aspects of your stay. We are constantly seeking to better our property and are always making changes such as the ones you mentioned in your review. I'm so glad to hear that overall, you found my property to be clean and our amenities to be excellent. I'll look forward to seeing your friend again next year, and hopefully welcome you back as well!
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 7, 2013

This hotel was clean and kept up. It was across the street from the beach which was fine. The bathroom was small, but that was minor. We had a balcony which the kids just loved and the pool was nice. Given the crappy hotels in the area, this was a found gem. I would have preferred to stay in North Myrtle Beach, but this worked out perfectly fine for our purpose. The front desk staff were helpful. Also, it was the only hotel that recycled. I was impressed by that.

High Point, United States
Reviewed August 6, 2013

We absolutely love this hotel! Everyone has always been wonderful to deal with. The management, the front desk, the housekeeping staff, the breakfast staff, the maintenance staff....hope I didn't forget anyone! We can't wait for our next trip there!

3 Thank Shawn P
Raleigh, United States
Reviewed August 5, 2013

I spent months looking for somewhere to stay during my family vacation and to be honest all the good reviews on tripadvisor influenced my choice and I am glad it did. This hotel is very clean and accommodating for large groups. I was impressed by how polite the staff were when answering my questions and my calls. It is a very fair price for being so close to the beach, the pool and lazy river are smaller than the pictures make it look but it is still very nice, parking is bad because the lot is so small but staff is very helpful when finding somewhere to park. The tub looks a little gross but not too bad (I'm a germaphobe so take that comment with a grain of salt, the rest of my family thought it was fine). Overall, very impressed. Great experience and I would recommend it to anyone, especially larger or extended families.

2 Thank Khishaana J
We always look forward to family reunions, and so I am very glad to see a review from a larger group! We feel so honored that, after months of research, you chose our property. Thank you for your pleasant words, too, about your experience. I hope that, if the bathtub needed additional attention, you let my staff know so that we could address the issue. Cleanliness is one of our top priorities, and so we take comments such as these very seriously. Thanks again for your positive recommendation. We look forward to seeing your next time!
Ipswich, United States
Reviewed August 5, 2013

We stayed here for two nights as part of our honeymoon trip. The room was lovely and cool, which was mandatory during the heat wave. We were given a nice basket of goodies with a sweet note of congratulations, which was a lovely gesture. The location was good to enjoy all of the area activities, and the price was reasonable. The free wi-fi was terribly slow at times.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple