“Nice, clean hotel”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Ottawa, Ontario
“Nice, clean hotel”
Reviewed June 19, 2013

2 friends & I (all over 60) stayed here for 5 days & were very pleased. The living area was spacious & clean but the bathroom was quite small. Breakfast was more than adequate with eggs, sausage, waffles & the usual toast/pastry assortment. The breakfast staff are amazing, cheerful & helpful. Check-in & check-out staff were also great. An in-room safe was also supplied at no charge. The hotel is at the quieter end of the "strip" which was nice. Our only complaint was that the phone in our room wouldn't ring. We reported it & were told that they'd send a technician over. That never happened. If we ever go back to Myrtle Beach, we'd definately stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank penguinlady59

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (289)
  • Turkish first
Eastover, South Carolina, United States
Reviewed June 17, 2013

We have spent many nights in Myrtle Beach, SC. We thought a few times about staying other places, trying to find cheaper places. We always end back at Best Western Plus Grand Strand inn and suites, because we start comparing other places to it. We ask ourselves questions like, "Does it have a lazy river"? or "what kind of beds do they have, and are they clean"? Those things matter when you travel with your family. I am amazed at the service the staff gives their guest. The detailed service makes you feel like you really matter. They seem happy take care of you too! I enjoy waking up in the morning, walking down to get a cup of coffee and have it with a smile from a lady asking if you would like waffles. Thanks again BW staff for making our stay..PERFECT.

Room Tip: If you need help choosing a room, never fear to ask the helpful staff. They are good at their jobs.
4 Thank Susan B
Concord, North Carolina
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Having never stayed in a hotel in Myrtle Beach, I did a lot of research before making a reservation for our family vacation. Due to the number of positive reviews, I chose this property and was not disappointed. Our room was very clean and spacious, including a kitchenette. That being said, I wish the bathroom was a little larger and had more counter space. The bed was very comfortable and the staff very nice and helpful. We had a nice view of the beach from our balcony, even though we were only two floors up, and the beach was just a short walk across the street. The downside is our room faced Ocean Blvd., which can be loud into the late hours of the night. The pool, lazy river, and hot tub were kept very clean, and my boys enjoyed the pool and lazy river immensely! Unfortunately, we never made it to the continental breakfast, but the smell that lingered the day we checked out was wonderful! Best Western has three buildings on this property and until we arrived, I had no idea in which building our room would be. In all honesty, I probably would not have reserved this room had I known it opened to an exterior corridor, but we were nestled away in a corner room on the second floor, so I felt safe enough to stay and not move to another hotel. If I had to do it again, I'd book over the phone instead of online to get all of the information I needed. In summary, we enjoyed our stay and I've already recommended this property to a few friends that are planning family vacations.

Room Tip: Rooms facing Ocean Blvd. can be loud late into the night.
3 Thank Angela F
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed June 16, 2013

This hotel was much smaller than I expected when I arrived. The accommodations were split - half of the standard hotel motel type rooms were around the small pool area on the west side of the street. The oceanfront suites where I stayed were a walk and across the street. It was a full block's walk to get from the front desk to the oceanfront building and in the morning when w wanted breakfast - it was a little far in the humidity and overwhelming heat. Even though the hotel offers free breakfast, I'd bring food with me to cook in the suite next time to avoid the hassle and uncomfortable walk.
The front desk staff was not good at all. They were very pleasant but the information supplied and process of my credit card information was a mess. After a very long drive, we got to the hotel to check in and it took almost a half hour to check in. The person was new and kept apologizing which I understand, but it was a bit off putting. I used a different card to check out than what I used to check in, and the font desk clerk incorrectly posted the information. I didn't find out till I got home and saw that my debit card was incorrectly charged, and it took a full week to get the mistake corrected!
The breakfast was fair. Hard round egg patties with greasy sausage, no fresh fruit, freshly made waffles was really all that was appetizing. The coffee was good, but for what I was paying, I expected a lot more than what they served. It wasn't good. In addition, they only serve for a short time and there were never enough tables and chairs to sit and eat.
The room/suite was small but comfortable. The little tiny kitchenette would suffice for quick meals but the towels in the kitchen were gray and scarey to use - they really looked dirty and disgusting. But there were plenty of fresh clean towels in the clean bathroom so that was good.
My biggest complaint was that upon making my reservation. they didn't really give me much information on what to bring so I was prepared. They supplied towels that could NOT be used on the beach. If I would have known that I would have brought some from home. There are chairs for rent on the beach however, I rented a chair for $7.00 - all I had was a $10 bill. I gave it to the lifeguard attendant, and he said he didn't have change but would get it and bring it to us. That never happened. We were on the beach for hours and when it was time to leave, I went to get my change. The lifeguard was eating a sandwich that he had just bought but still claimed he didn't have change. Sensing this was a scam, I asked why he didn't get it. He just shook his shoulders. When I reported it to the hotel manager Jack, he said the beach had nothing to do with the hotel. I just feel that precautions needed to be made and/or if they told you about this at the front desk, I could have been prepared. It felt like a big rip off.
The pool and lazy river was very small and not anything remarkable.
So I rate this hotel a 3* simply because of the cleanliness. But I wouldn't stay there again. It's not real close to the boardwalk or attractions for families. They don't really offer any kind of help for travelers visiting for the first time. I asked about restaurants in the area for suggestions and the hotel manager just shrugged his shoulders.
Normally I wouldn't have much expectation for this type of property, but I paid close to $200 per night for 2 nts and 2 rooms. I really felt like I got ripped off for what I got.

2 Thank Judy R
Jack R, Owner at Best Western Plus Grand Strand Inn & Suites, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write an honest review; as I mentioned in our emails, I always appreciate hearing guests feedback so that we can better serve our customers in the future. Again, please accept my apologies for any way in which we did not provide you with exceptional customer service and high-quality amenities.

I would like to emphasize, for the benefit of future guests reading the review, that Myrtle Beach is a public beach, and so the lifeguarding service is not connected without our hotel in any way. I can assure you that our experiences with the lifeguards have always been pleasant, and thus we had no reason to warn guests about the experience. Nevertheless, I am sorry that you had a negative experience with them and that you felt that it could have been prevented. We will certainly take your experience, and your comment regarding beach towels, into consideration when speaking with future guests.

Customer service is one of our greatest priorities, and so I would like to apologize again that your check-in experience was difficult. I am also sorry that we charged the incorrect card at check-out. Although we do our best, we are imperfect, and I am very sorry that our mistake caused you inconvenience.

I also appreciate your feedback regarding breakfast. I should mention that in addition to the sausage and waffles that you mentioned, we have recently added scrambled eggs to our breakfast selection. We serve these foods along with biscuits & gravy, fresh fruit, muffins, pastries, grits, oatmeal, cereal, and (occasionally) cinnamon rolls and/or french toast sticks. I am sorry to hear that you didn't find it to your taste; hopefully, we can continue to better this experience for our guests.

Again, please accept my apologies for any way in which your stay was less than exceptional. I hope that you will consider staying with us again so we can have another chance to provide you with superior customer service. I would love you welcome you back to our property again.
New River, Arizona
Reviewed June 12, 2013

My family spent four days at this hotel in Myrtle Beach. The room was very clean and comfortable, the service outstanding and the breakfast great. The attendant Theresa was very accomodating and Jack was a terrific host for his hotel. We enjoyed out entire stay at this lovely hotel.

Shelbyville, Tennessee, United States
Reviewed June 12, 2013

My husband and I were on our honeymoon and showed up late on a Saturday night. The owner was working and gave us a great deal on a two-night stay. We had a king suite looking at the beach on the fifth floor. The continental breakfast was hot, good and much better than other hotels. We left our balcony door open just to hear the pounding waves against the shore. We plan on going back and requesting the same room. Thanks for your hospitality.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Poughkeepsie, New York
Reviewed June 8, 2013

We had booked this hotel for one night to extend our trip to Myrtle Beach. It was more than expected for the price. The room was reasonably priced and had two air conditioning units. The bed was very comfortable. It had both a small living room and kitchenette and the bathroom was exceptionally clean. It is not beachfront, nor was the parking ideal but overall it was a very good experience.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family