“Wish it had been better.”

Best Western Plus Grand Strand Inn & Suites
Ranked #20 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 19, 2012

The best thing was that the room was right on the beach. A ground floor, beachfront room with a balcony and 2 rocking chairs. Dunes do prevent you from seeing the ocean, though on the bottom floor. WIFI worked ok. Staff was friendly, we saw 2 people once each. The room was clean.
Negatives:
This building is across a main highway from the main building. There very little parking and loading and unloading you car is difficult and inconvenient. Folks from the other building drive over to go to the beach causing even less parking to be available.

The room's lighting is horrible. They seem to be using energy saving lights, we needed to use a flashlight to read in the room! Way too dark in the room.

Not sure what kind of mattresses they were but they collapsed on the sides when you sat on them. Once you were in bed it was comfortable enough, but the mattresses weren't solid at all.

Kitchen was good and worked well,which we used to fix our own breakfast. The free breakfast was across the highway in the other building. We needed to continually move the table and chairs in order to use them and they were so heavy and the ceramic flooring was very noisy. We could even hear the people above us moving their furniture.

I love the beach and was disappointed that the hotel wasn't better.We left a day early and drove to Florida. We most likely would not stay there again.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank G D
puravidaagain, Owner at Best Western Plus Grand Strand Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2012

I'm so sorry to hear that my property was not to your liking; we strive to make each guest's experience exceptional and so we take your feedback very seriously. I'm glad that there were many aspects of your stay that were positive, including the cleanliness of the property and the friendliness of my staff.

I do apologize for the inconvenience you experienced regarding the parking in our oceanfront building. There are a sufficient amount of spaces for guests staying beachfront and we ask all of our guests staying in the main building to refrain from parking in the oceanfront spaces. Also, we are very diligent in ensuring that only our guests use our lots. However, I recognize that the space is limited and apologize for the frustration it caused you during your stay.

All of our mattresses are Kingsdown Pillow Soft or Pillow Top, which means that they are some of the most highly acclaimed on the market. Unfortunately, everybody prefers their beds at different hardnesses. We do our best to accommodate all guests; I wish you would have mentioned these concerns to my staff so that we could take measures to make you more comfortable. The same goes with the lighting: we do use energy efficient lights throughout the property but we would have been happy to replace the bulbs in your room during your stay so that you were more comfortable.

Again, please accept my apologies for those aspects of your stay that were less than excellent. My staff takes guests' feedback very seriously and we hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you.

There are newer reviews for Best Western Plus Grand Strand Inn & Suites

Reviewed October 17, 2012

My husband and I were extremely pleased with our stay. The staff is extremely pleasant and always going out of their way to help. Our room was spotless and thank you Scott for the upgrade. We stayed in a king mini suite that is wonderful! We definately will be back! Great staff!

1  Thank lori01pa
Reviewed October 17, 2012

I have MS and chemical sensitivities and need more accurate information when booking a room. They were very knowledgeable, helpful and really went out of their way to make my stay good. The room was nice and clean.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
puravidaagain, Owner at Best Western Plus Grand Strand Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2012

Thank you so much for writing a review! I'm sure that other travelers who have chemical sensitivities will appreciate hearing of your experience at our property. We always do our best to accomodate guests' requests... I'm pleased to hear that the measures we took in cleaning your room were successful. We hope that you come back and visit us!

Reviewed October 16, 2012

My two friends and I planned a trip to Myrtle Beach the second week in October an d I searched for a reasonably priced hotel near the beach with enough room for the three of us. The reviews on Travel Advisory for this hotel were the best I found. After searching their site I found a 2 suite with three queen beds for close to what other hotels were charging for two beds. Although the room did not have an ocean view I booked it. Then I worried until we arrived. It was south of the boardwalk and far from activities according to some, in an older part of Myrtle Beach and I had made the choice for us. I could have saved myself the stress. From checkin to checkout the experience couldn't have been better. Dennis greeted us like old friends, the rooms were exceptionally clean, beds were comfortable, there was a kitchenette and a great view of the ocean! Breakfast was plentiful with bagels, yogurt, biscuits, cereal, and waffles. The area was very clean with plenty of seating. An attendent was very helpful. I would definitely stay here again. Only downfall - we didn't bring bathing suits because thought it would be cold. Lovely pool and warm enough to swim. Note: five minute drive to boardwalk, ten to fifteen to shopping and theaters.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends

Thanks for your complimentary review! I'm glad to hear that we were a "pleasant surprise" and that your worries were unfounded. We work hard to ensure that every guest has an exceptional stay with us, and so it is always appreciated when guests give us positive feedback. We'll look forward to welcoming you back during your next visit to Myrtle Beach. Next time, though, you'll have to come ready to swim!

Reviewed October 16, 2012

Standard basic motel rooms, quite a bit away from the main strip. Nice outdoor pool area but overlooking a busy road- indoor pool across the road. Handy for the beach, but so is every other hotel. Nothing really special.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank oneash
Reviewed October 15, 2012

I needed a hotel in Myrtle Beach on short notice as my boyfriend got a last minute job offer in the Horry County Fire Department. We needed to stay Friday-Sunday last with only 24 hours' notice and got a queen suite with kitchenette for $60-68/night. The quality far surpassed my expectations, not only for the price but in general. The hotel was very clean and they accomodated our request for extra pillows. The bed was very comfortable and housekeeping did an excellent job... they even straightened up our things when they came in! It was a releif to come in to a lemony-fresh and clean hotel room after being tired from a 13 hour drive and then all day spent house hunting. I also needed to work from the hotel on one day and the business center was a good spot to get work done.

The continental breakfast was better than I anticipated, they had an extremely personable staff member making belgian waffles each morning and greeting the guests. The front desk staff was pleasant and helpful regardless of whether it was 12am or 12pm. I would highly recommend this hotel and if I need a place to stay in Myrtle I will definitely be back.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Kate C
Reviewed October 14, 2012

We enjoyed an ocean front room celebrating our 20 anniversary. The room was spacious, clean and comfortable. The whole facility was well maintained. The breakfast area was very clean sausage, eggs, biscuits, waffles, fruits, etc. The breakfast area was managed by a very pleasant woman who willing to make the waffles or get what ever you may need. The people at the front desk were all very nice and informative.

Room Tip: The room was a cross from the elevator but we never heard a sound. It was a quiet private room.
1  Thank Gretchen V