“My family loves it....”

Family Kingdom Amusement Park
Ranked #14 of 123 things to do in Myrtle Beach
More attraction details
Owner description: This charming, old-fashioned amusement park features more than 30 fun-filled rides including an all-wooden roller coaster, Log Flume, Go-Kart tracks, historic carousel and the largest Ferris wheel in South Carolina.
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Last April, we all went to MB again for about the 7th or 8th time and we always make it our business to go to Family Kingdom Amusement Park before we leave to come home. The atmosphere is always entertaining, my children love the rides and the food fair is enjoyable also. We usually spend atleast 4 or 5 hours there each time. It's best to get the wrist bands for your riders. I will be going again the next time I'm there.

1  Thank KAYLUVMB
Write a ReviewReviews (1,341)

Reviewed January 21, 2013

We have been going to MB every year since the early 70's. We make sure Family Kingdom is on our "must do" list every time. The roller coaster is old school, wooden. They just don't make them like that anymore.

Reviewed January 15, 2013

Honestly, it was just like an old-fashioned amusemnet park, not much to do if you're afraid of heights. I only rode about 8 -10 rides, mainly because i'm afraid of heights and i wasn't going to go on "The Fox Swamp" or "The Log Fume." i did enjoy the food and the Yo-Yo Swings though-that's about the only high ride i'll go on, because it's relaxing if anything. Also i hate haunted house rides or anything of that sort, so i didnt ride that Pistolero Roundup. My Sister and my cousin and Aunt rode it though. And my Sister thought it was scary and my cousin was traumatized, he was more scared. My Aunt was the only brave one of the bunch. They told me that when you first ride inside, it's pitch-black and some other really scary stuff, and how when they rode through the next door it was a scary old man and old lady layin in a bed and the cart stopped and if you freaked out and made any noise while they slept (which my cousin screamed) then the old couple got out of bed to get you while you sat in the 2-saeter cart and you had to shoot them for them to get back in the bed and the old lady's eyes were popped out or sometin, i can't remember all of it, but they said it was so extremely scary. Which was a GOOD thing i didnt follow along. My sister also rode the "Fox Swamp" wooden rollercoaster and even though she said it hurt her stomach on the drop she said it was really fun, and she indeed went again. MY SISTER IS A REAL DAREDEVIL AND WILL GO ON ANYTHING, which is the reason why i won't follow along with her. Overall, i went on the same rides over and over for a thrill and ate pretty good.

Reviewed December 20, 2012

This park was really just a hangout for teens to hook up to be honest. Granted we were there during Grad Week...so it should've been somewhat expected I guess. The rides were fairly expensive for what they were. We opted for individual tickets so the kids could do the drop tower, music express and the Swamp Fox (roller coaster).

The one bright spot for me was the Swamp Fox. It was a great coaster, well maintained, fast and aggressive! Other than that , we really got out of there pretty quickly. It was just a crazy experience...not amusing at all other than Swamp Fox.

Reviewed December 8, 2012

I’d never been to this park before. I’d always gone to the Pavilion park that was on 9th avenue and Kings Hwy. Since that park was gone, I wanted to go to another with my grandchild. Family Kingdom seemed like a great choice.

When we drove onto the property, we were greeted by a parking attendant who asked for $6 for parking. There were 2 differences between this parking lot and those of other amusement parks: it accepted cash only, and if you left and returned to the lot, you had to pay $6 again. At least the parking space was very close to the park.

I decided to get 2 armbands at the ticket booth-I paid the same price - $24.50 – for me and my grandchild, who is 3 years old. There were the basic rides that one would expect to see at an amusement park-the giant swing, a wooden roller coaster, a kaleidoscope-type ride, a carousel, and a train. There were many kiddie rides, including the Red Baron and the Cycles, both of which my grandchild liked. A couple of rides weren’t exactly PC, but since I’m not either, I didn’t have a problem with them-those were the Speedy Gonzalez Kiddie Coaster and the Pistolero Roundup, where you compete against your ride partner by shooting at targets. I’m guessing the latter used to be a haunted house ride once upon a time.

The first thing we did was get on the Log Flume. It was a little shorter than the one that had been at the Pavilion Park, but it was fun nonetheless. Because I had my granddaughter with me, I could not ride the roller coaster; she was only 42”, and the minimum height was 52”. She could go on most of the other rides at the park.

The two of us went on the Hurricane, which had no line in the afternoon, but had a line by evening. The same thing happened at the Bumper Cars, where they made sure that kids under minimum height were accompanied by a “driving” adult (and not a teenaged companion or relative). I liked the Galleon and the Log Flume, but my grandchild did not. We both liked the Hurricane, so we rode that one twice. One thing that I thought was amazing was looking out at the ocean while we rode the Ferris wheel.

The ride operators were very vigilant about checking for height and for armbands; this caused us to have to stop at the entrance of each ride since my grandchild just made the minimum/maximum height of 42” for most of the rides. (NOTE TO PARK-Color Coded Armbands, like the ones in King’s Dominion, could save time with this procedure. The child gets measured once at the beginning of the visit, and that’s it).

It was a humid day in early September, so inevitably we got very thirsty. The cool lemonade looked like a great treat, so I tried some in the afternoon. When we returned in the evening, we got another, but this time I ordered a large size. We also ordered a funnel cake. The nice ladies in the booth near the park’s entrance (the one closest to the parking lot) made a tall cup of lemonade, and I immediately took a big sip since I was so dehydrated. As I stared at the display cups, I realized that they’d given me the wrong size. I went back to the window and pointed out the error. To my surprise, the cashier gave my cup back to the person who’d made the lemonade, who poured the contents into a plastic container, discarded the old cup, and used the correct sized cup with the mixing container. In other words, she took the liquid that I had drunk from, and placed it into a vessel that she would be using to make other people’s lemonade as well. I wonder if the Horry County/SC Health Board knows about this. An item that’s been “over the counter” is to be discarded. The woman should have started over with fresh ingredients. Perhaps she was going to set aside the mixing cup to wash; if she did, she didn’t do it while I was standing there.

Later that evening, we returned for about 90 minutes. I decided that I didn’t want to pay the $6 again, but it did cost around $2.50 to park at a meter across the street. Those meters are monitored until midnight.

Other than the mistake with the beverage, we had a great time at the park. I took off one star for the big faux pas with the drink. I will definitely visit again, but this time I’ll get bottled water if we get thirsty.

6  Thank mooviemadness