“Close to the beach but lacking” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sheraton Myrtle Beach Convention Center Hotel

and 1 more site!
Sheraton Myrtle Beach Convention Center Hotel
Ranked #41 of 207 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
“Close to the beach but lacking”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is very close to the beach and that is its main benefit! We had a higher level suite which was very spacious and made for an excellent room/s for our family. There are no balconies which we did not like. The pool is so tiny that it is not suitable for the size of this hotel. We are platinum members and don't feel like we were treated as such. The breakfast person was rude and hassled everyone over showing their yellow card. There weren't enough carts at check in to help with luggage. The one upside of this hotel is their housekeeping staff, we found them absolutely delightful. Bring your own pillow unless you like either sinking completely or being so fluffed up that your head can't get comfortable.

• Stayed August 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Juli P, Director of Revenue at Sheraton Myrtle Beach Convention Center Hotel, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Good afternoon KellBell04, thank you so much for leaving us a review. We're very happy you enjoyed the close proximity to the beach, as well as the suite you stayed in. We're sorry you had a couple of challenges while staying with us & hope that they were reported to a manager so that we could address them right then. We'd like you to give us another chance the next time you come to Myrtle Beach. Thanks again & have a great day, Juli Pray

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (253)
Fredericksburg, Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2013

Our family of four stayed here the week of 8/12 for four nights. We got a good price through Hotwire, and that is really the only reason we would ever stay at this hotel. The room we got (1133) was perfectly adequate and clean. The beds were firm but very, very springy so that whenever my daughter would turn over in the middle of the night, I'd be woken up. Not a restful sleep. The pillows, as others have noted, are really mushy and have to be folded in half to get any support. Some of the staff provide exceedingly poor customer service. One of the women at reception (Genevieve?) had a particularly chilly and unwelcoming demeanor. The morning after we had arrived, I came down to get something from our car, which my husband had put in the parking garage the night before, while I brought the kdis upstairs. So I didn't know where the parking garage elevators were, and asked. She gave me this cold stare and said, are you a guest here? Well, it was 8am and my hair was still wet from the shower and the most reasonable assumption would have been yes, I was a guest, but she decided to take the position that I must be a bum coming off the street. I affirmed that yes, I was a guest and why would I ask where the parking garage was if I were not staying here? She rolled her eyes and said, "because they do." Is there a fraud issue at this hotel that staff are so cynical? Later that morning, we had that breakfast buffet at Vidalia's, the hotel restaurant. (Not recommended, BTW: the buffet food had been sitting for a while, since the items were drying out.) The hostess who sat us was really surly, no smile, no good morning. The waitress who brought us drinks was loudly asking each table what their room number was, and seemed to be hoping that we would pay cash because we had to ask for a pen to fill out the ticket and bill our room. When we got back to our room at the end of the day there was a message from the hotel asking us to confirm whether the $50 breakfast charge was legitimate. My goodness, what sort of joint is this, where guests are constantly challenged? If the level of fraud that takes place at this hotel has resulted in this sort of culture, then this is a downscale, not an upscale hotel that can't possibly 4 stars. We won't be returning to again, regardless of the deal. There are plenty of other options in Myrtle Beach.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Juli P, Director of Revenue at Sheraton Myrtle Beach Convention Center Hotel, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Good afternoon tgd721, thank you very much for writing us a review. We're thrilled you enjoyed your room with us. We're very sorry you received poor customer service. I can assure you their is no fraud happening here & that I will address the rudeness with the staff, we take that very seriously here. We do hope that you will come back & give us another chance. Thanks again & have a great weekend, Juli Pray
Naugatuck, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013

I should start my saying my husband and I are SPG members and this hotel wasn't my first choice, the Sheraton Plantation Resort was where I really wanted to stay, but it was just too many points per night and the Sheraton CC let me book the junior suite with all of my points. That being said, this hotel was top rate and if I ever head back to South Carolina this would be my first choice every time. The hotel was about three short blocks from the beach, which is a good thing as the boardwalk can become busy and noisy. The hotel always had refreshments in the lobby, which was always appreciated by my kids. The junior suite was AMAZING. We had a king bed which was incredibly comfortable, and the kids slept on the pull-out sofa. The bathroom was large and had a jacuzzi tub which I took advantage of. We also had a patio which overlooked the eastern part of the hotel which gave us a view (albeit small) of the ocean. The hotel and our rooms were always clean. In fact there was always a housekeeper working around the hotel maintaining the property. The pool and pool deck again always clean, warm, and inviting. The best part of being an SPG member is the access to the SPG lounge where breakfast, snacks, and dinner appetizers are always plentiful and free. The dinner appetizers were more like dinner in my opinion...very filling. The waiters in the lounge were very helpful and polite. My only negative comment would be to please have more assistance at the concierge desk. The reason for this is the concierge desk is where guest have to pick up and drop off beach towels. There were occasions where we wanted to pick up towels and had to wait twenty minutes because the concierge was helping other guest, or trying to get them to see the Sheraton Plantation timeshare...very annoying and inconvenient when you have small children itching to get to the beach. Other than that small hiccup, I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking to have a comfortable and pleasurable stay in the South Carolina area.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Juli P, Director of Revenue Management at Sheraton Myrtle Beach Convention Center Hotel, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
Good Afternoon JilianTirado. Thank you so much for you wonderful review! We truly appreciate hearing your feedback. We are so happy to hear you enjoyed our property and will be returning in the future. Wonderful to know you were able to enjoy the amenities we offer here at the hotel. Thank you for letting us know about the concierge, we will be addressing this issue. Thank you again for this great feedback. We hope to see you soon. Have a wonderful weekend.
Columbia, South Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2013

We were here with 2 grandchildren, 6 & 7. We had chosen the Sheraton thru a package deal with Ripley's Aquarium powered by Reserve Direct. VERY disappointed! Used to amenities such as complimentary hot breakfast buffet and parking. Here, parking is $8.00 per day, breakfast is $12.50 per adult; $8.00 per child. Parking garage is not well lit and is not accessible to the Hotel except through the lobby. We were assigned to a 5th floor room with a "lovely" view of nothing but a rooftop. Noticed many room service trays left outside in the hallway for pickup. Temperature in our room was very warm and A/C took forever to cool it down to a comfortable level. Beds were so soft that we had back aches upon waking. Also, sitting on the edge of the bed caused one to sink down to the box spring. Evening desk clerk was very rude and condescending when questioned about available amenities. Will not stay here again and do not recommend. This hotel did not live up to the quality that is usually expected in a Sheraton Hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank P R
Juli P, Director of Revenue Management at Sheraton Myrtle Beach Convention Center Hotel, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Good morning P R, & thank you for taking time to leave us a review. We're sorry you didn't enjoy your stay with us. Sounds like you found a lot of things unacceptable to you & it is our hope that you addressed these concerns with a manager while here so that we were given an opportunity to make them better. Thank you again & have a great day.
Charleston, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2013

I want to thank Meredyth Oliver & Juli Pray of The Sheraton, for making my weekend in Myrtle Beach happen.There was a mix up on a reservation for a non refundable room.It looked like I would have to forego my trip,but these Sheraton employees made it happen.This was me and the Wife's 9th wedding anniversary.All that said.I would recommend the Sheraton Myrtle Beach Convention Center Hotel.This Hotel is very nice & clean.The location is truly a plus.Close enough to do the beach thing or visit Broadway on the beach for eating & shopping.This looks to be a great Family hotel.It has a glass covered swimming pool and many other cool amenities.I will stay there again.

Room Tip: I read an earlier tip on trip advisory that held true for my stay.Ask for a room on the 10th floor a...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Juli P, Director of Revenue Management at Sheraton Myrtle Beach Convention Center Hotel, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Good Afternoon William K. Thank you so much for your fantastic review!! We are so happy that we were able to help you resolve the issues you experienced with your reservation. We are also thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay with us! We really hope you will be staying with us again soon. Thanks again for the feedback, we really appreciate it. Have a wonderful week!
Bayboro
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

I stayed here over the weekend and everything was fine:) Rooms were very clean and the staff was very courteous! MY ONLY COMPLAINT WAS THE BEDS. THE BEDS ARE EXTRA SOFT, AND I LOVE EXTRA FIRM MATTRESSES. I would definitely stay here again when given the opportunity!

Room Tip: choose the 7th floor and up to get a good view of the skyline:)
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Good Afternoon DavisFamily. Thank you very much for taking the time to write us this great review! We are so pleased to hear you enjoyed the facility and had pleasant experiences with our staff. We really hope you'll stay with us again soon. Have a great day!!
Deer Park, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

Our stay was great except that the air conditioning was not working properly. The staff corrected this problem and we were given back the points we used for two nights. We had a room on the 11th floor overlooking the ocean. The room was well appointed and very clean. We made use of the club lounge every day for breakfast and the fresh fruit was great. We would stay there again gladly because of the staff. I would recommend this hotel to anyone staying in the myrtle beach area.

Room Tip: If possible stay up on the higher floors
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Good Afternoon Barry D. Thank you very much for your review. We enjoy hearing your feedback. Thank you so much for you praise of the staff. We are pleased to know you enjoyed our Club Lounge. Glad you were able to resolve your issues while you were with us. We hope you'll be staying with us again soon. Have a wonderful week