“Not on the beach...but that's a good thing.”

Sheraton Myrtle Beach Convention Center Hotel
Ranked #53 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Adrian, MI
“Not on the beach...but that's a good thing.”
Reviewed August 6, 2012

My family and I stayed here June 17 for 4 nights. We stayed in a club suite room on the top floor with a nice balcony (with 2 chairs and small table) with a great view of the beachside hotels and the ocean. My daughter could literally touch the "S" of the Sheraton lighted sign on the hotel, which she thought was awesome.

Check in was smooth. We are SPG members and used our points for the stay. Being SPG members and because of the room type that we were staying in, we had access to the club lounge. This included a hot breakfast (varied with oatmeal, scrambled eggs with bacon/ham/cheese/veggies, and hash) and snacks in the afternoon (cakes to veggies to chips/guac dip). Soda, juice, milk, coffee were available throughout the day/night. PC and printer with free printing also available in the room, which was nice since wi-fi was limited to the lower floors.

Also, because of our SPG status, parking was waived and we received a free drink coupon for the bar on site.

The room itself was large enough for my wife and I and 3 children (age 11, 7, and 2 1/2), with a King Bed, pullout Sofa, and sitting chair. The staff was great, housekeeping was friendly, but especially...the woman in the club lounge. I forget her name, but she was one of the most friendly person on staff that we have encountered in all of our Sheraton stays. The first morning, we got a late start and arrived for breakfast about 10 minutes before "close". She made every effort to accomodate us, even sending me with a "to go" plate for my wife who was still getting ready in our room. Each breakfast ended with a special treat for my kids (granola bars or rice krispy treats), handed to them by her.

Overall a very nice stay. About a 20 minute walk from the 11th floor to the ocean with 3 children and a wagon full of beach supplies...not bad.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank cbecerrajr
JuliPray, Manager at Sheraton Myrtle Beach Convention Center Hotel, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
Good evening cbecerrajr, from all of us here at the Sheraton we wanted to say thank you so much for leaving us a great review on tripadvisor. You touched on alot of areas of your experience with us & we hope that we met your expectations. It is our hope that while travelling to Myrtle Beach you will choose us again to serve you & your family. Have a wonderful week ahead & thanks again, Juli Pray

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (264)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 4, 2012

3 blocks away from the beach, not bad. No hassle with anything, freindly staff, and $8 a day for parking. This is how a stay should be! I and my fiance stayed on the 9th floor room 914 with a beautiful view. Bed was soft as ever and hugs the body when going to sleep. The hotel is in a perfect location and just a few blocks from everything. We drove from Philly so getting around was not a problem. I highly recommend this hotel to anyone that is looking for convenience.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
NY
Reviewed July 30, 2012

This place was great. We were staying at the Sheraton Broadway Plantation for a week but wanted to go down a few days early and spend sometime closer to the beach. We opted to use SPG points and stay here rather than over pay for something no as nice right on the beach. We are very glad that we did. First, if you plan on walking to the beach don't listen to any of the reviews that claim its a bit of a hike. its a very SHORT ten minute walk to the beach, and accommodations more than make up for the fact it is not a beach front property. Check in was easy. We arrived a little early and instead of making you wait around and hold your place in line they put your name on a list take your cell # and call you when your room is ready. This was different and a very fair approach. In the spirit of full disclosure we a SPG gold members and received a few perks because of that but that but keep in mind the SPG program is free to join. Our membership in that program entitled u s access to the club lounge, complimentary breakfast in the morning and an evening cocktail reception as well as ocean views from the club floor. Now with that the hotel as a whole was also great. The 2fl bar, the restaurant, and the coffee shop all made eating and drinking easy, regardless of what you were looking for. Staff was very attentive. Called about a broken TV remote they had a new one delivered in less than 5 minutes. The entire hotel was immaculate, the parking was convenient and reasonable, the staff was friendly, and the hotel was busy in a good way and everyone seemed happy.

Room Tip: Join the Starwood Preferred Guest Program, its free and comes with great perks.
2 Thank prkchopxpress
Wyandotte, Michigan
Reviewed July 29, 2012

My family and I came to Myrtle Beach to watch my son play baseball. The room was clean and a good size, but the air conditioner did not work well, the sink backed up and the you stood in water over your ankles when taking a shower. I complained about these items to the front desk 3 times before they sent anyone to my room. Then after being here over 5 days, housekeeping finally changed my sheets but in the process, my daughters baby blanket was taken out with the dirty sheets. I called the front desk twice, and went down there and they told me nothing was turned in. Also, the pool was filthy. My kids called it the "pool of hair" I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

3 Thank canterbj
Orlando
Reviewed July 29, 2012

We booked this last minute as we were driving back to Florida from the northeast. check in was a breeze. Room was ready by 11am. room was spacious and clean. The beds were amazing. We would have stayed another night but we wanted a hotel directly on the beach for our second night. My only complaints were that the hallways were very noisy. The fitness center was very big and aside from the bikes and one treadmill not working properly, I found other machines that worked great and I got a great workout. We didn't eat at the property but were offered a 25% off coupon for the restaurant which I thought was a nice gesture. The pool area was small but clean. Overall a very nice property.

Tampa, Florida
Reviewed July 25, 2012

Rooms were great, the maid service was amazing and they were so nice. Starbucks coffee provided was a bonus. I also had the best massage of my life by hotel massage therapist, Victoria, on site at the hotel. It made my trip. Can't say how wonderful I felt after. The front desk seemed a little under staffed and the concierge gave us coupons for restaurants that were absolutely terrible (Carlos n Charlies) would NEVER send any guest there. I felt a little raw about $8 per day parking and no free continental breakfast. Great stay overall and good location.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Columbia, South Carolina
Reviewed July 25, 2012

I prefer non-traditional accommodations away from the crowds, hustle, and bustle of the strip. However, I was in Myrtle Beach for a conference and as all sessions were being held at the hotel, it made sense to stay here in the interest of time.

Location
The hotel is located away from the beach front: a few blocks away. There is no ocean view at street level (to speak of ). If you request a room on the 11th floor, the view of the ocean is pretty nice. It is conveniently located near several restaurants and bars, typical beach gear stores, not far from the boardwalk, and other attractions.

Rooms/ Check in

Check in went quick and smoothly-staff was pleasant- though I might attribute this to conference organizers.The room was a standard room with 2 queen beds (hands down the most comfortable, I have ever slept in). There is seating near the floor to ceiling windows, so that you can take in the view. There is a large desk, for adequate work space, dresser, armoire with a flat screen and a mini fridge. The closet space is fairly small, but enough to accommodate a few days worth of hanging clothing. The bathroom was a nice size, clean and spacious, with double sinks, plenty of counter space (granite or some similar material), shower tub combo. Fixtures all look new .Overall, rooms are very clean, fairly spacious, with like new furnishings, carpeting and tile.

Dining
There is a restaurant and bar on the 2nd floor: Breakfast and service was great at Vidalia's. M-Bar leaves a lot to be desired as far as service- the bartenders are all in a bad mood all of the time: they serve you when they are good and ready, and do not expect any conversation: no small talk, no exchange of surface pleasantries, nor "bar therapy"- take your issues (if you have any) elsewhere: You have been warned!

Layout
The building itself is oddly structured. The parking garage and lot is adjacent, but is open air and you still spend sometime outside getting to your car: walk ways are not completely covered. If you are out late, plan on parking five or six floors up in the uncovered deck ($8.00 a night). There is no entry, bridge from where you park to your floor in the hotel: Plan on elevator time leaving and coming.

Which brings me to the next issue: lack of elevators: there are only four elevators to accommodate 11 floors worth of hotel guests; they are all located in one corner. Inevitably there will be a line extending out of that corner in front of the area where you check-in- not a pleasant experience: Plan your check-in/out and entry and exit carefully: I would avoid typical check in times, if possible.

Amenities
With a tight conference schedule, we did not have an opportunity to take advantage of a number of amenities (pool, fitness, etc) As far as wi-fi: either there is none or it is only available up to a certain floor. There are computer stations in the lobby area: if you wish to leave the room just for internet access after a long day.

Conference Space
There is no shortage of it. It is spacious, nicely decorated, and ample areas outside of conference rooms to accommodate displays, if needed. There is easy access to restrooms, the gift shop and Coffee Bar.

Verdict
I would return for business: for pleasure, not so much.

Room Tip: Request a room on the 11th floor if you care about the view.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business