“Pleasantly Surprised”

Sea Crest Oceanfront Resort
Ranked #21 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed June 23, 2013

First off let me say how wary I was of staying at this hotel. After reading multiple reviews I was on the fence- most reviews were great, others were very bad. As we drove down S. Ocean Boulevard to find the hotel, at first glance both my husband and I were somewhat apprehensive looking at the Sea Crest. It looks a little worn (needs a new paint job) and we wondered what we we had gotten ourselves into. We stayed in the Angle Oceanfront Junior King Suite and stayed from June 16-21st. After reading reviews that dealt with theft, we made sure to take pro cautions. We locked all of our prescriptions in a small lockbox we brought from home. Our computers and other valuables were secured and hidden when we left the room.

Good:
-After we had booked the hotel, a better price became available through a different site. We contacted Sea Crest to see if they would honor the other site's price. Not only did they honor it, they gave us a better price!
-Check in went relatively quick (about 10-15 minutes).
-Our room, 1138, was at the end of the hall, facing towards the parking garage. Around the corner was a separate elevator that always ran quickly.
-Air conditioners worked GREAT! Both blew cold air, never had a problem!
-King sized bed is firm, but comfortable. We both slept great!
-Kitchen comes stocked with dishes/silverware (Also has a strainer, 1 smaller pot, 1 big pot, a big bowl, hand can opener, pitcher, AND dish soap)
-Bathroom area is slightly cramped, but in great condition.
-2nd bedroom contained a double Murphy Bed- our 3 year old daughter loved having her own room!
-Balcony door locked VERY tightly. This was a concern of mine as our daughter was staying in the room connected to the balcony. The view could have been better, but you can still see plenty of the ocean/beach!
-Plenty of pools and water play areas (inside/outside).
-Towels are provided by the pool area (they are kind of hidden so if you don't look, you won't see them.)
-Great access to the beach.
-Checkout was a breeze and took less than 2 minutes (We checked out at around 9a Friday.)

In-Between:
-Elevators ran slower. However, the main hotel building has 14 floors, so this is somewhat understandable.
-Noise level: Sea Crest is located next to Hotel Blue, which plays LOUD music at its pool area. We drowned out the noise by using a humidifier we brought from home for our daughter. My husband and I could still hear the music somewhat (I used earplugs b/c I have problems falling asleep with outside noise.)
-Parking Garage is located across the street. Had it been my husband and I, the situation would have been fine. However we had our 3 yo daughter with us so crossing the street was somewhat treacherous. Elevator ran well. The parking garage as a whole was not designed very well (parking spaces were cramped and getting out of the garage was somewhat dangerous as the entry/exit lanes were next to each other. We made sure to go incredibly slow, but it was still scary.)
-The walk from the boardwalk to the hotel is long. I'm not the thinnest person and it took me about an hour to walk the distance.
-Housekeeping would not enter our room while our daughter was napping because they didn't want to wake her up. They gave my husband extra towels every day with no problem. However, this is about the only nice thing I have to say about the housekeeping staff.

Bad:
-Housekeeping was VERY inconsistent. We made sure to put our Do Not Disturb sign out. We were up by 9-10a every day, which is apparently when they clean the 11th floor. The first full day we stayed, someone from housekeeping knocked on our door around 2p, asking if we needed any towels. We said yes and asked if they would come in to sweep the floor (it was covered in sand from our beach trips.) They came at about 4p and refused to come inside because our daughter was napping. While this was "considerate," my husband told them it was okay for them to come in and they wouldn't. On Tuesday, our room had still not been cleaned. Yet again they came back during nap time and refused to come inside, but gave us lots of towels (which we needed.) On Wednesday, the tile floors were getting pretty gross. Before we left to go out (at about 11:30a) I made sure to stop at the front desk. I explicitly told the clerk that we needed someone to clean our room and even told them it was okay to come in if we had the Do Not Disturb sign up. We got back at around 2p and no one had cleaned the room yet. By the time we left for dinner at about 6p, no one had showed up. On Thursday, we were up by 9a. As we left for the beach, a house keeper actually came to our door to see if we needed anything. We told them the room DESPERATELY needed cleaned at this point (gross floors, tub needed cleaned etc.) We got back from the beach at about noon and our room was still uncleaned. We left for Broadway at the Beach at around 1p and returned from dinner at about 8p. Our room was FINALLY cleaned! I noticed that they had not changed the sheets though...I swear they were sandy! Nothing was stolen which is also a big plus.
-The outdoor area near the kiddy water park/lazy river were not cleaned very often. There was trash under beach chairs and the lazy river had small pieces of trash in it every time we entered.
-Water park water temperature was luke warm. My daughter didn't seem to mind, but I thought I was going to freeze!
-Outdoor lazy river smelled HORRID. An unidentifiable stench lingered at the entrance/first "turn" and smelled like a mix between rotten eggs and sewage.
-Though the indoor lazy river did not smell and had much warmer water, it was over run by much older, unsupervised children that were horse playing and being obnoxious.
-The pool area could use an update (paint mostly).
-We stopped at the "concierge" desk by the elevators to ask for a recommendation for a good and cheap seafood place. The concierge, Derrek, conveniently had a bag of coupons for a place called Landry's, which was at Broadway at the Beach. He said they had crab legs, which is what I was wanting. After giving us the coupon, he started in on his timeshare gimmick and would NOT shut up. Finally after he determined that we didn't make enough money, we were able to get away. Drove to Broadway at the Beach. My husband let me out as he looked for a parking spot. Before I put in our reservations, I looked at the menu. Nowhere on it could I find crab legs! Not only did we waste gas, but our daughter was getting EXTREMELY hungry at this point.
-The elevators got stuck a few times (thankfully we were not inside.) This seemed to happen on a daily basis though.
-Wi-Fi is very spotty and slow.

Overall, our first family vacation was great. When we return next year, chances are we'll be staying at Sea Crest.

Room Tip: Angle Oceanfront Junior King Suite- ask for room 1138. The room is in great condition! It does face...

Reviewed June 21, 2013

This hotel stay was the WORST I have ever experienced. After asking a housekeeper how to fix the broken safe in our room we returned from dinner to find several things missing, police officer that came said it happens all the time in the area with housekeepers. The place is falling apart & disgusting in places. You have to park your car across the street. The city has the street water runoff onto the beach (there are signs every 100ft or so on the beach that saw this & that it is unsafe to swim in the water. Don’t waste your money…the pictures greatly misrepresent this horrible place. Go anywhere else so that your family is safe & your belongings don’t get stolen if you leave the room.

Room Tip: The staff will rob you...do NOT stay here!!!
3  Thank Tonya B
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Stayed in Sea Crest for one week with my family. Our 3 daughters got a suite and were very happy about this, however it was more like a large studio apartment. Location for beach is great and room views of beach were great. It's a bit of a walk to the boardwalk and restaurants. There is a nice bar next door for a nightcap. Not much happening in the hotel at night. Broadway or the boardwalk are good places to go. Lifts were constantly soaking from people getting in straight from the pool so it was a bit annoying when you got dressed up at night time to go out and you have to get into a dirty lift. I will definitely return to myrtle beach but will stay somewhere else as we have no very young children.

Reviewed June 20, 2013

First off, let me say that I never complain. Meals, experiences, etc I usually keep my comments and opinions to myself or those close to me. This is the first online review I have given, EVER. That being said, it is not my goal to discourage or negatively effect this resort. I dont have any personel vendetta towards sea crest. Below are my experiences; Good and Bad.

Good:
the resort was located in a very useful spot in myrtle beach, not far from ANYthing. 10 minute drive to broadway at the beach, 5 minutes from boardwalk, 20 minutes to murrels inlet. A lot of great restaurants close by. I suggest Ultimate California Pizza Kitchen (order the UCLA). The suite was spacious and had a great view, nice tv's (LCD flat screens), Plenty of swiming pools, 2 kids pools (one in doors and one outdoor). The kids pools are 1 ft at the most, with the ends being more shallow, great for toddlers and babies accomapanied by parents. Live music at night with outdoor tiki bar. Mostly clean (for the most part). You can tell that this resort sees a lot of turnover in clients. House keeping staf were VERY kind and polite.

BAD:
When we arrived in the outskirts of MB we called to check on our rooms since we had my toddler we needed to plan ahead on what we were going to do. And since it was only 1:30pm (early) we wondered if we could go ahead and check in since we had been on the road for 11 hours. The lady who answered the phone advised us we couldnt be told about the status of our room until we arrived there. Which I wouldnt neccesarily have a problem with except when we did arrive and walk into the lobby there was a lady on the phone advising a customer that his rooms were ready (on the phone, just as we had been denied moments before). Next, we were going to our room and we discovered that the room wasnt even the right one. We had booked a suite with two rooms and a kitchen, instead we got a bedroom and kitchenette. The check in desk ladies advised us that they did not have one availible but would probably be able to move us into one the next night. Which they did have a suite for us the following day, to which we packed up our stuff, and moved ourselves to the room which we had originally wanted, with no offers to help by the hotel. (so much for resort experience, right?) Next the first room we had been assigned to had slidding glass doors to the balcony that would not lock, this is a problem with us since we have a toddler who has no idea what falling 9 stories would do to him. 2 hours later after advising the front desk of this, a man showed up to fix it and he replaced the handle. It sorta worked after he replaced it, but you had to hold your mouth right. fyi, the next room we went to (the suite on the 15th floor) had the same issue and the door would not lock to the balcony. Also, both rooms had front doors that would not deadbolt.

Next the starbucks on the 5th floor, while it is a great idea and resourceful to have, is a cheap knock off of a real starbucks. They sold me milk that was 3 days past date, and turned. When my toddler took a drink he spit it back out and made a sour face, I tasted it and it was HORRIBLE. I took it back and they replaced it, but didnt offer anything else other than an 'Im sorry!". I make mistakes but this really was the beginning of my wife and I NOT enjoying our trip.

The elevators are SO busy that you have to wait extended amounts of time to get one, due to so many people coming and going from the beach, pool, parking lots, etc.. they hotel cant really do anything about this due to structure and engineering but it is still a pain and I have to say it is a negative. Especially since parking is across the street from the hotel (on one of the busiest roads in MB, with a 5 foot cross walk designed for guests to hopefully encourage oncoming vehicles to stop, WRONG! This was a dangerous spot to tell you the truth.

Though the pools were plentiful and a nice concept and design with a great kiddie pool area (my son really enjoyed this, as did I) 20% of the little water spouts on the different structures in the pool didnt work, and often times when walking around the pools carrying my 2 year old there were chairs so close to the edge of the water (no space) that I could barely walk through and not worry about stepping into the lazy river. Also there needs to be some sort of structure seperating the 3 feet deep lazy river and the kiddie pool. My son (not being afraid of water) felt that he could run from the kiddie pool to the lazy river and would literally try to jump/climb in. Life would just be easier if there was a barrier/fence as there is all over the place (which I like) to help seperate the areas. Also, in the mornings the water was extremely cold in the kiddle pool, from where the staff were washing the sidewalks off with hose water and filling the kiddie pool back up with hose water.My son wouldnt get in the water willingly till the evenings.

It should be noted that even though seacrest cant control this issue, that the hotel bordering seacrest (hotel blue) tends to have very loud rap music playing through some days and it is VERY loud, (jarring the sliding glass doors loud) with a bar and pool designed for adults it usually can get pretty out of control. At least once, we witnessed an almost all out brawl between some drunk guys and secruty 40 feet from where we were playing with our 2 year old in the kiddie pool. Look on Google maps, the pool at seacrest is just across a small parking lot from the pool area at hotel blue. Again since this isnt seacrest's issue, one just needs to take into account that this other hotel is there and when making a decision to stay at seacrest you do have to deal with other people from other hotels.

The first room we were placed in had a stove int he kitchentte that had knobs on the front of it, and after being there an hour we noticed that one of the burners were red hot from where our toddler had turned all the knobs. So beware that the rooms are not kid proof, however the second room were in the stove knobs were on top which relieved some aprehension of him burning himself or us.

In conclusion:
This trip was not as fun, or relaxing as I had intended and planned. Though much of this is probably due to it being the first big trip we have taken with our toddler, seacrest resort is responsible for most of the rest of the blame. I never felt 'welcome' or like the staff really cared if I was there or not. The nicest people I came incontact with were the housecleaning. And even they looked over worked and ran down. One actually complained to us about having the whole floor to herself to clean because there were 1-2 others who had called in. We felt bad so we left the "do not disturb" sign in our door slot all week, we changed our own trash, and switched out our own linen. This place lacks a true managment/leadership presence. I honestly dont know if they had anyone working there besides the 3-4 ladies at the front desk where you check in, and housekeeping. I saw no one else that looked as if they were running things. The resort's website is 10 x better than the resort ever thought about being. This place has potential, if ran by the right people. We had 1 more night left to stay in MB in this resort and opted to leave a day early, if that tells you how great our experience was. If you can stay here really cheap and have teenagers or school age children who like water, this would be a lot of fun for them hence the pools, and such. Other than that, we werent impressed and felt seacrest dropped the ball with us. We will never goto south MB again.

Room Tip: if you have children get a suite! make sure it is a 2 room suite.
2  Thank jason w
Reviewed June 17, 2013

I was a little disappointed after having to wait to check in, but I overlooked it since it was a busy weekend at the beach. After checking in the room, the angle side view of the beach on the balcony was not as appealing as I thought it would be. The balcony was private, but our hotel was across from another hotel which wasn't as private as I thought. The furniture in our room needed to be steamed cleaned terribly. The chair and sofa had stains and was in dire need of cleaning. The bed was comfortable. I had the most difficult time obtaining a wifi signal. The hotel did not have any premium channels such as HBO, Showtime, etc. I used to stay at Sea Crest almost every time when I visit the beach, but this time I was not impressed with the hotel. The elevators were slow. I did not get to enjoy the pool, spa or lazy river because it was too over crowded which was not the hotel's fault due to the weekend being busy. Unfortunately, I have a new location where I will stay from now on when I come to the beach.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sweetness01
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Very helpful staff. Great water attraction for toddlers and children. My daughter loved all of the pools and the water slide. The kitchenette was well equipped and the view was nice. The rooms could have been cleaner/more up to date for the price but the location was wonderful. This was the second time that we used this hotel and we would stay again without hesitation.

Reviewed June 17, 2013

So after a 3 year hiatus we visited Myrtle Beach again and as previous vacations we stayed at the Sea Crest again. We figured not much would change after 3 years. SURPRISE!!! the lobby staff were just as nice as we remembered, and the maid service staff were VERY friendly. Now on to the slide attendant. This guy was not in the mood to work at all. He didn't say more than 10 words, and just pointed at the tube when it was someone's turn. He didn't once look anyone in the eyes or smile. In the kid's playland area, there were chicken wings floating all around it and no one cared to pick them up. The patrons of the resort were also not as friendly as in previous years. Elevators used to be held for folks to get on, this time around everyone didn't bother to wait. We had to get our Do Not Disturb door knob sign replaced 3 times because it kept disappearing. To top it off, we were forced to move all of our belongings off the floor 2 days in a row due to carpet cleaning. Now I know this has to be done, but it was a major inconvenience. especially when the notice stated a particular day, but the cleaning crew didn't get to it until the following day. it wasn't a bad stay, but I feel that the actions of one slide attendant and other nuisances will keep me from going to the Sea crest next year. I'd rather pay more for better amenities and overall enjoyment.