“Not really worth the $$ but decent.”

Sea Crest Oceanfront Resort
Ranked #21 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed July 11, 2011

I have stayed at Sea Crest a dozen times over the last 10 years. Back in the day, it was a great price, free continental breakfast, CLEAN, and overall good value.

This time, not so much. First I spent over 240 per night....definately the most I have ever paid here. I have never gotten a return customer discount....never. This time, they didnt even have a record of me ever staying there before...new computers or something I was told. Check in was no problem really. I was promised an upper floor 4 months ago when I booked and when my room was ready, they tried to give me the 5th floor. The check in girl told me there was nothing they could do but she did give me to a supervisor who said no problem.... and she put us on the 12th floor.

We had an oceanfront room and although its not super roomy, it is big enough. They have not updated the hotel much which leaves me wondering why so expensive. (they did have flat screen tvs) The carpet is old and dirty, the light fixture in the kitchen was rusty and not working. The place is generally very "lived in". Its ok if the price is ok.

I agree with the other poster, the maids are lazy. When we got to our room the first thing I noticed was the tv had a bunch of kid handprints all over it. It was never wiped off the entire six nights we were there. One day, there was a little milk or something spilled on the table. Still there after the room was "cleaned" You have to do your own dishes but there is no dish soap. Bring some or go buy it because they wont do it for you.

The fire alarms going off in the middle of the night and once during the day were scary. Nothing like being on the 12th floor of a hotel and the fire alarm going off at 3am. (Where are the stairs again?) I called to the front desk and they said that the guy was testing it and they asked him not to do it anymore. Thanks for that lady.

So the pools....I know they get a TON of use but I think they could be kept cleaner. The new kid area has brown stains all over the bottom. The main pool outside was nice most of the time. One hottub was broken. The indoor pool........one day I went in there and there was NO ONE in the pool. Its a little deeper than the others and it looked so inviting that I just jumped in. When I came up some lady sitting in there said, "hey, they closed that pool" I looked over and on one side by the stairs, there was caution tape. No notice anywhere on the doors or anywhere else. further inspection led me to conclude that someone crapped in the pool and that is why it was closed. WOW! Thanks for the extra signage. Some reviewer on here who complained but said she found this pool all to herself...I wonder why....

The location is great! I love that everything is so close. Parasailing, banana boats, Family Kingdom, ect...all within 5 minutes walk.

The outside activities kind of sucked this time. There used to be limbo, a guy walking around with a maccaw, and other kid stuff. This time, at least one guy outside by the hotdog stand who wouldnt say hello to my wife when she wanted to get a cheap hotdog. One time, he was just gone for like 45 minutes...no where to be found. Karaoke was cool as always.

Lastly, the croud this year was a little to trashy for me. The caliber of the guest has really diminished over the years. I guess the old crowd learned already what I am learning now.

Next trip to MB, I'll really have to check out other places instead of just googling the number for SeaCrest.

Room Tip: Reserve early and be relentless with the staff up front. Get there on your check in day EARLY.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank mat7355
Write a ReviewReviews (3,211)

Reviewed July 11, 2011

I've seen a lot of bad reviews on here and let me tell you its not as bad as it sounds. There are some areas that can be improved (as with any resort\hotel) but all in all it was well worth the money. My kids had a blast here and are already asking when we're going back. If my family had a good time then thats reason enough for me to come back again. This isn't a 5 star resort so if thats what you're looking for then dont book a room here other than that this is a great place for a family vacation. We will definetely be back next year.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Jimmy0518
Reviewed July 9, 2011

There is no way that people have stayed here and given this place a 5 star review. It is outdated, not clean and no way deserving anything above a 2. Hotel staff were friendly. Called about problem with our stove and was told by maintenance that I should not bother talking to management. He said they don't care. If I was spending $60 a night I would have expected the type of room we had. Not when your spending over $200 a night. I would think it would be easy to find $60 rooms in myrtle beach nicer than this place. Bottom line: sheets felt dirty, carpet felt moist the whole time we were there, if you took a shower and walked in the room barefoot for 5 minutes your feet were black. I felt like my 1 year old needed a tetnus shot after stating here. Chasing him around for 5 days to keep his mouth off of everything was not enjoyable!

• Stayed: July 2011
2  Thank roadlesstravelled69
Reviewed July 9, 2011

We had a great time at the hotel and it fit our needs perfectly. We just wanted a nice, clean hotel on the beach with kitchenettes and laundry facilities and that is exactly what we got. We were in the older part of the hotel, no ocean view, but it didn't matter. We had a wonderful breeze and it was fun to watch guests coming and going. It was also relatively quiet, which was wonderful. The kitchen in our room was great for cooking breakfast and lunch daily. We even cooked dinner in our room one night when we were too tired to go out! The parking lot was very convenient too being right across the street. Also, loved the fact that you could get a Starbucks coffee in the cafe in the morning.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 9, 2011

This is not a 3 star resort. over priced. Room is very small same size as a normal room with a very small kitchen put right in the door. Got ocean front efficiency room 3rd floor right over pool. Always loud no privacy on balcony. False fire alarm 4 times during week 3 were in the middle of the night & everyone had to evacuate. For families I recommend staying in north Myrtle & not in Myrtle beach. Best resort down town is oceans one.

• Stayed: July 2011
1  Thank unhappyfam
Reviewed July 9, 2011

We have stayed here at least once a year for the last 3 years and enjoyed it. This was our 1st year for Bike week, with all the bad publicity about the hotels not being accommodating the Sea Crest was not one of them. 'They went out of their way to take care of all our needs with vehicles,trailers and the bikes. We have a time share at one of the others in MB but we always stay here and have not had a bad experience yet. We will keep returning.

Room Tip: We like the 1 bedrooms that end in 26.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed July 7, 2011

Totally disgusted with the room, size, and hotel amenities. Website is misleading and the outside property appearance is 10+ better than the unit I was given to stay in. Ridiculous and I will not refer or stay with Sea Crest in the future. Regardless of how I look,color, or whatever, I did not expect to be treated like a second class citizen when asked to have a refund and later told that rooms are given to OTHER people on a regular basis, even when there is a vacant, identical unit available and the other guests just has not arrived. I thought there was no promise on location of a room. To be told that the room was not ready when I arrived is understandable;however to lie and say that it was being cleaned is totally unacceptable when, in fact, it appeared only to have had cleaner towels added and sprayed with a horrible smelling air freshner. King sized in no way even within a stretched imagination. Nothing was king-size. Misleading advertisement and overpriced standard- size is what I found the unit to be in the smallest imagination.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room before you pay.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family