“Great View, Great Price...”
Review of Ocean Plaza Motel

Ocean Plaza Motel
Ranked #155 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed October 31, 2004

After reading the reviews, I was prepared for the worst. I was pleasantly surprised. Our oceanfront room was comfortable with a wonderful view from the balcony. The linens though a little stiff (I'd forgotten how hard the water is at the beach) were changed each day. Oh, and don't forget to pack conditioner. The bedspreads were a little faded but they were clean and without holes. The bathroom was spotless. Worried about reviewers complaints about the maids not making the beds if clothes or personal items were on the beds, I tried to make sure all my stuff was out of the way. However, I must have forgotten one skirt on our second day. When we returned to our room, I was surprised to find it hung neatly and the beds made. The elevator was a little slow but hey, it's the beach. Who's in a hurry, right? The indoor pool was clean and nicely heated. Though the whirlpools weren't whirling right (one was shooting water out everywhere and the other was perfectly still) the water was good and hot. We had a great stay on a tight budget.

6  Thank ShayRay123

shelbyville, tn
Reviewed October 10, 2004

great place to stay. at less than $300 a week you can't beat it. minor problems that we had were
fixed in a second. look folks it's not the hilton!
but if you want a clean well serviced room, friendly
staff this is it. basment parking a little tight. indoor
pool could have been warmer. stayed from 2 october to 10 2004. will book again. over all, great.

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 28, 2004

We have stayed here twice--this is not a luxury hotel, but is clean and cheap. No complaints here!!

8  Thank Brandy H
Louisville, KY
Reviewed August 3, 2004

I found my room to be nice and clean. I did not stay in one with a kitchette but mine had a microwave and fridge that were clean and in good shape. I did not see any dirt or holey bed spreads.
I found the front desk staff to be very helpful and informative.
It is a not a luxury motel but it is a nice family place and a good value if you want to stay right on the beach.

• Stayed: July 2004
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Houston, Texas
Reviewed July 28, 2004

I recently brought my family to the beach for our yearly vacation. These days it gets expensive and very hard to find a decent hotel for a great low price. I was worried about the cost being so low, but they surprised me. Sure, it was no Ritz but it was well worth the money. We had a complaint about the pool being dirty but they had someone cleaning it with-in minutes. I have been coming to the beach since I was a girl and I cannot remember a hotel we have stayed at that has not had some sort of a problem...besides the friendly staff made it all OK. I will definitely be back. Thanks again ya'll!

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Ohio
Reviewed July 7, 2004

This hotel is absolutely nasty!!! I walked into the room and was immediately in tears over the filth. The beadspreads were worn with holes and mildew, the sheets were gritty, and the kitchen floor looked like it hadn't been cleaned in years. I was reluctant to let my children lay their heads on the pillows but we didn't really have a choice since it was 4th of July weekend and everything else was booked. The shower had ZERO pressure and it was either scalding hot or ice cold. The chemicals in both pools were way off balance and it's amazing that none of us got sick from the water. All in all, it was just a horrible time and a waste of money. You should just tear the place down and start over!!! I won't be back and I will warn anybody who may book a room here to BEWARE!!!

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Management response:Responded July 9, 2004

If a guest has a problem with something let someone know. If this is a true and honest review I would hope the guest would speak up while visiting with us. My staff and I will do whatever possible to make our guest happy and comfortable. I have many positive response cards at the front desk. Please be sure if you decide to stay at Ocean Plaza your needs will not go unattended. If I did not care I would ignore reviews like this, I do care.
Thank you for reading my response; please feel free to write me anytime.

Joe Weiss

Kannapolis, NC
Reviewed June 15, 2004

Terrible. The elavator was VERY slow and only goes to the 6th floor. We had only one burner on the stove to work. Not enough places to park. Rooms were nasty. Stains on floors, holes in our bedspreads. Place seemed really dirty. Some type of nats or bugs flying around in the rooms. I was disappointed that they charge as much as they do for the type of place it is. People working the Front desk were not very friendly at all.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Management response:Responded June 18, 2004

We here at Ocean Plaza will do whatever it takes to keep our guests happy. Our front desk is very cheery and likeable. This guest mentioned their oven. If the oven does not work and we cannot fix it, I will buy a new for the room. Whatever it takes, I have receipts and guests that will testify to this. Ocean Plaza is an older hotel, does the elevator go to the 7th no. The building was engineered this way. Every guest is notified of this fact . Are the rooms clean, YES. We have housekeeping on the clock until 11:00pm to keep guests happy. Compare our rates. We have an older hotel that is Ocean Front, with an Ocean Front pool, an indoor pool and 2 hot tubs. Ocean Plaza guests also have access to a 2nd Ocean Front pool and a 2nd indoor pool which is located next door. Parking, we have more parking than any older hotel. We devote ¾’s of a block in the heart of Myrtle Beach for parking. At check in if a guest is not happy with their room we will refund their money. I will do whatever is in my power to make our guests happy. Please write me with any questions. My name is Joe Weiss and I thank you for reading my response.

Joe Weiss