“Fine for what it is”

Ranked #156 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Washington, DC
“Fine for what it is”
Reviewed August 10, 2013

This is not a five, four, or even a three star hotel. This hotel is fine for what it is. I needed a last minute hotel on our way down to Florida. This popped up and I took it. The rooms are clean, in decent shape and there was plenty of hot water. On the other hand, the towels were pathetic, I had to get toilet paper from the front desk and I felt like I took my life in my own hands every time I used the elevator. With that said, it was right on the ocean and it was perfectly fine for one night. I certainly wouldn't consider staying any longer than a night or two.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
povmgmt, General Manager at Ocean Plaza Motel, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to comment on tripadvisor. We appreciate any and all guest feedback. I would like to apologize for any inconvenience that you may have experienced during your stay with us. We are an older property, and we do cater to an economy traveler offering the lowest rates we possibly can. I thank you for voicing your concerns and bringing these issues to our attention. I will make sure that your complaints are forwarded to the appropriate department heads for further review so that the issues can be taken care of. Thank you again for the valuable input. It truly is appreciated. I hope you have a wonderful day.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Salisbury, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed July 30, 2013

My stay was horrible from day one of going to the hotel...I had reserved 2 rooms one for me,my husband and kids and the other for my in laws...my in laws were staying july 19 - 21st but me and my husband stayed through the 24th of july...we go to check in and they had both rooms leaving out on the 21st so they had to fix the problem..on the 21st my husbands goes to check out his parents and was told that we were leaving on the 23th which was supposed to be the 24th... i talked to a manager and she told me that the whole mix up was my fault because other members of my family had called to make reservations ( rooms that were not in me nor my husbands name) she was very rude and i have never heard a manager speak to a customer like she was talking to me....i will never stay here again the front desk are horrible..they are very rude and need to learn how to talk to people and respect their customers and the maid service was horrible i had no toliet paper or towels..i had to go to the office bathroom just to get toliet paper...never have i been to a place to where the manager had me in tears from being so furious and frustrated!!! they need to get a new manager and employees that can get reservations right the 1st time! and who can show some respect to their customers!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to comment on tripadvisor. We appreciate any and all guest feedback. I would like to apologize for any inconvenience that you may have experienced during your stay with us. I thank you for voicing your concerns and bringing these issues to our attention. I will make sure that your complaints are forwarded to the appropriate department heads for further review so that the issues can be taken care of. Thank you again for the valuable input. It truly is appreciated. I hope you have a wonderful day.

Travelers are raving about these Myrtle Beach hotels

Reviewed July 26, 2013

My husband and I came here for valentines day and it was a great place to stay. We loved it. It wasnt the prettiest place to stay but it was cheap and worth it. We stayed here for two nights and it was 80 dollars. The bathroom was great. Had enough towels for us. They also let you do this thing where you check in your room and make sure everything is good. The tv was great. They had all good channels. Had a great oceanfront view. The only thing i disliked about this place was the silverware, plates and pots were so dirty so bring your own or buy a dish soap to clean it. Our room didnt smell at all. The bed was comfortable. We saw a roach which we didnt like so they should fix that. Other than that we enjoyed our stay. We would love to come again :)

• Stayed February 2013
2 Thank vanessahra7
Thank you for taking the time to comment on tripadvisor. We appreciate any and all guest feedback. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. We would be happy to have you as a guest with us again in the future. If there is anything that you may need, please do not hesitate to contact us. We are here to assist you with your reservation needs. Have a wonderful day!
Rockville, Maryland
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I booked this hotel thru a service called "Book It." I was staying here July 16 thru July 20, 2013. I had requested a 1st floor room because of my handicap. Upon checking in I was told that my room for two adults was on the 7th floor the top floor. I decided to go take a look at the room and upon getting on a smelly elevator with no ventalltion I noticed that the elevator only went to the 6th floor, not knowing you had to get off and walk up two flights of steps. The room too was smelly but nothing Lysol and Febreze could not handle, room rated a 7 out of 10. It did have an ocean view but the balcony did not look safe. I could not stay at this hotel because of my health. My daughter and niece did stay. I exchange rooms with my niece, to a really nice resort. During their stay the linen was never changed, beds were never made up, room was never vaccumed or clean in any way. They called the front desk on several occasions and never got a answer. Only got towels twice the entire stay there. Me, myself would not recommend this hotel to any of my friends

1 Thank Edna H
povmgmt, General Manager at Ocean Plaza Motel, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to comment on tripadvisor. We appreciate any and all guest feedback. I would like to apologize for any inconvenience that you may have experienced during your stay with us. I thank you for voicing your concerns and bringing these issues to our attention. Unfortunately, we are unable to gurantee floor levels or room numbers. I will make sure that your complaints are forwarded to the appropriate department heads for further review so that the issues can be taken care of. Thank you again for the valuable input. It truly is appreciated. I hope you have a wonderful day.
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Where should I start? One of the worse motels/hotels on Myrtle Beach is a starter. I wanted to check out when we got there but hubby didn't want too. How in the world does this place pass inspection is beyond my imagination and belief. The maid never showed up to clean our room or replace the towels. The keys don't work and are so outdated. There was mildew/mold or in the room and bathroom. This place needs to be knocked down and a wrecking crew needs to come as rebuild it. The only good thing was the ocean view. 4 starts my butt LMFAO. If I shared photos on here they probably would feel embarrassed.

1 Thank SandraS18
Washington, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 15, 2013

I had to write this review because of all the reviews I read about this hotel when planning our vacation. I was weary about choosing this hotel because of all the bad things that were said about it but it was fine! Is it a 4 star hotel, no, but you aren't paying for a 4 star resort! The ocean view was beautiful, the beds were comfortable, the staff was friendly and helpful, what else could you need! Was the room spotless, no but the maid came every day was very friendly. The hotel is right on the ocean which in itself causes a musty order you would have that in any hotel on the ocean! also the dampness from the ocean causes moisture in your room witch does give it a "icky" feeling but that is not because the room itself is dirty because it is not! I also want to say that we found the staff very friendly and helpful! Kim you were awesome!!! I had read what people said about the " rude" staff, and it simply isn't true. If they were rude I would have to say you should look at how you acted towards them! If you want to stay at a decent hotel with a great price do not be afraid to stay here. We were completely happy with our choice and plan to return!!!!

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms have a beautiful View worth the little extra money
3 Thank amy m
Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed July 12, 2013

I can't imagine this motel would pass a health inspection in the room we stayed in. The cabinet doors in the kitchen were falling off the hinges. The only lights available were a small lamp on the nightstand and a tall one. Both lampshades were cracked, and the electrical part of the tall lamp was so loose we were afraid to use it much. The towels were as rough as sandpaper, and had hairs on them. The toilet wouldn't flush everything down, the shower curtain was disgusting, and the water pressure was almost non-existent. The motel still uses actual keys instead of cards, and the deadbolt key wouldn't hardly turn. We were on the seventh floor, but the elevator only went to the sixth floor-we were told nothing of this until we checked in! There was only one elevator for all the guests to use AND the poor housekeepers, so it took forever waiting around and good luck finding a luggage cart. The elevator even broke down while we were there with someone inside, and trust me that elevator didn't have enough ventilation or air conditioning so hopefully they were okay. I would have happily paid a little more for a decent place to stay if I'd known how bad this one was going to be.

Room Tip: Side view rooms do not have private balcony! You share one with the rest of the people on that side...
1 Thank HollyJ74