“Thumbs down all the way”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Ocean Plaza Motel

Ocean Plaza Motel
Ranked #169 of 207 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
“Thumbs down all the way”
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Where should I start? One of the worse motels/hotels on Myrtle Beach is a starter. I wanted to check out when we got there but hubby didn't want too. How in the world does this place pass inspection is beyond my imagination and belief. The maid never showed up to clean our room or replace the towels. The keys don't work and are so outdated. There was mildew/mold or in the room and bathroom. This place needs to be knocked down and a wrecking crew needs to come as rebuild it. The only good thing was the ocean view. 4 starts my butt LMFAO. If I shared photos on here they probably would feel embarrassed.

1 Thank SandraS18
povmgmt, General Manager at Ocean Plaza Motel, responded to this review, July 26, 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Washington, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 15, 2013

I had to write this review because of all the reviews I read about this hotel when planning our vacation. I was weary about choosing this hotel because of all the bad things that were said about it but it was fine! Is it a 4 star hotel, no, but you aren't paying for a 4 star resort! The ocean view was beautiful, the beds were comfortable, the staff was friendly and helpful, what else could you need! Was the room spotless, no but the maid came every day was very friendly. The hotel is right on the ocean which in itself causes a musty order you would have that in any hotel on the ocean! also the dampness from the ocean causes moisture in your room witch does give it a "icky" feeling but that is not because the room itself is dirty because it is not! I also want to say that we found the staff very friendly and helpful! Kim you were awesome!!! I had read what people said about the " rude" staff, and it simply isn't true. If they were rude I would have to say you should look at how you acted towards them! If you want to stay at a decent hotel with a great price do not be afraid to stay here. We were completely happy with our choice and plan to return!!!!

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms have a beautiful View worth the little extra money
3 Thank amy m
Thank you for taking the time to comment on tripadvisor. We appreciate any and all guest feedback. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. We would be happy to have you as a guest with us again in the future. If there is anything that you may need, please do not hesitate to contact us. We are here to assist you with your reservation needs. Have a wonderful day!
Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed July 12, 2013

I can't imagine this motel would pass a health inspection in the room we stayed in. The cabinet doors in the kitchen were falling off the hinges. The only lights available were a small lamp on the nightstand and a tall one. Both lampshades were cracked, and the electrical part of the tall lamp was so loose we were afraid to use it much. The towels were as rough as sandpaper, and had hairs on them. The toilet wouldn't flush everything down, the shower curtain was disgusting, and the water pressure was almost non-existent. The motel still uses actual keys instead of cards, and the deadbolt key wouldn't hardly turn. We were on the seventh floor, but the elevator only went to the sixth floor-we were told nothing of this until we checked in! There was only one elevator for all the guests to use AND the poor housekeepers, so it took forever waiting around and good luck finding a luggage cart. The elevator even broke down while we were there with someone inside, and trust me that elevator didn't have enough ventilation or air conditioning so hopefully they were okay. I would have happily paid a little more for a decent place to stay if I'd known how bad this one was going to be.

Room Tip: Side view rooms do not have private balcony! You share one with the rest of the people on that side...
1 Thank HollyJ74

Travelers are raving about these Myrtle Beach hotels

Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed July 8, 2013

When booking my room I was really worried about this hotel because of older reviews, but because of the price I went ahead and moved forward with booking our room. Upon arrival we entered during shift change, so it took a little longer then normal, the two ladies were friendly, and very efficient making sure we were checked in. I was very surprised that this hotel still had old key entry and Keys to get into there rooms, which isn't a big deal just needs to be updated. We stayed on the 4th floor. Our room was very clean upon entry, nice big king size bed, the room was very roomy, the air was blowing, and the room felt great. The only problem with the room was the table was broken we went to sit our bags down, and the table had fallen over other then that the room was great for the money. The appearance of the hotel was pretty yucky, the office had cob webs in the corners and really old looking. If the owners would take some time for some TLC on this hotel it would be perfect! I have no really huge complaints and would stay here again for the price, and money!

Room Tip: If you choose a side view of the ocean, you have to walk outside and look between buildings to see t...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank awolfen7
Thank you for taking the time to comment on tripadvisor. We appreciate any and all guest feedback. I would like to apologize for any inconvenience that you may have experienced during your stay with us. I thank you for voicing your concerns and bringing these issues to our attention. I will make sure that your complaints are forwarded to the appropriate department heads for further review so that the issues can be taken care of. Thank you again for the valuable input. It truly is appreciated. I hope you have a wonderful day. We hope to have you as our guest again in the future.
Worcester, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed July 7, 2013

We booked online since we live in Massachusetts and have never been to the beach. It seemed nice online and stated that it was close to everything downtown. Well it was at least 4 miles from the strip so you had to drive and pay to park. We stayed door 3 hours after we found out that the tub had black mold all over the ceiling! When I told them thy said oh well here is your money and we were left stranded with a 6 month old baby and no where to stay. It was such a disappointment. Never will I ever go back again.

1 Thank Beth M
Princeton, West Virginia, United States
Reviewed July 5, 2013

I was worried about staying at this hotel with all of the bad reviews and when we got there the staff was very friendly. We stayed in Room 209. Our room was great and very clean. The only complaint that I have is out of the 4 nights that we were there housekeeping came everyday except for one day. We swam in the indoor pool because the outdoor pool was too cold. The pools were very clean. We will stay at this hotel again. I seen on a review that someone said their GPS did not locate the address of the hotel but ours did.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Tammy C
Greenwood, South Carolina, United States
Reviewed June 30, 2013

The hotel is disgusting and it smells very bad. The parking garage was flooded with some kind of black filth and garbage.... I ruined two pairs of shoes walking through it. As soon as we got to our room, we noticed the doorknob was broken so we told the woman at the front desk and she gave us another key (as if that would help). Well, we couldn't get back into our room because the door was so messed up and had to wait 30 minutes for the maintenance guy to try to repair it, but he ended up just ripping the whole doorknob off the door. The bedspread was disgusting and dirty and sticky. We had to go to a Kmart to buy another blanket because I refused to sleep on it. The mattress was also hard as a rock. The pool had several cigarette butts in it and was obviously not clean. The only good thing about this hotel is that it is ocean front, but still NOT WORTH THE MONEY!!!!!!!!! I will never stay at this place ever again. horrible experience

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple