“Good Food... But”

Cuisines: Delicatessen
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed January 6, 2014

I'm afraid that the Kaminskys have, over time, morphed into the South Carolinians and have put a southern spin on their NY style deli. Now don't get me wrong, there're definitely splashes of NYC all over the place. But when my wife and I entered for the first time yesterday, it was my intention to have a smoked whitefish salad sandwich, and my wife was thinking blintzes. I ordered my whitefish and was told they don't make that anymore. Big disappointment for me. So I ordered tuna salad on rye... the closest thing I could get to whitefish. Asked if they had blintzes... no. Also, no evidence of potato pancakes or knishes or Jewish salami on the menu. Didn't see evidence of sour cream on anything. No pickled tomatoes. No matzoh balls. No kreploch. A NY Deli???? I think not.

This is not to say that the food was not good... it was. But please. If you're gonna call yourself a NY Deli, then offer the kinds of things New Yorkers will expect to find there.

9  Thank Bob F
Michael K, Owner at Kaminsky's New York Deli, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2014

I would like to thank the deli maven for their interpretative review & suggestive ideas
as to how i should run my business. My wife & I in the 15 years in the deli business in Myrtle Beach feel that we have brought a little piece of Long Island to the south. We make all our salads fresh every day as we do our soups when it is soup season. We source out from the north the things that mean to us what a new york style deli should be based on our Long Island experience. Your review is correct as we do not carry the traditional food that a New York Jewish Deli would carry as we have tried them all. Apparently you missed the Matza Ball soup from last week and neglected to see the knishes in our showcase. I only wish that you would have tried our Corned Beef or Pastrami , as a true New Yorker would have and not the tuna fish. Just as I would not judge a chinese restaurant by their egg rolls please dont judge me by your lack of knowledge of my business.
Mike Kaminsky
Owner Kaminsky's NY Deli

Reviewed January 3, 2014

Over the holiday season I decided to take my mom for lunch here at Kaminsky's.
She was VERY Happy. We both had the Ruben , and it was so fresh and tasty.
My mom just went on and on about how much she enjoyed it. Will definitely be back.

1  Thank SuperDave550
Reviewed December 9, 2013

Had a pastrami special, liverwurst, and chicken salad. Food was well prepared and very New Yorkish. The owner and staff were very nice and the deli was very busy in the off season. I want to go back soon and try the breakfast. Good find and will definitely go back soon to try that steak and cheese.

Reviewed November 23, 2013

Food was good. Loved the Rueben - Just wish the owner would have been more of a gracious host. Was told as I walked in at 2:04 pm that he was closing at 2:30. Told the next customer the same thing. 3rd person coming after me @ 2:15 pm was told that their order had to be take-out because he was closing @2:30. Then the owner walks over to a table with 2 senior ladies having conversation and tells them "You know we are closing at 2:30" (of course the poor ladies looked puzzled). On top of that at 2:17 pm (keeping track of the minutes because he was closing at 2:30) I went to the drink station to get a refill of some very tasty iced tea - it's gone and was told that ran out (funny there was a full dispenser 13 mins prior). I all my years of eating out have I never been push out of a restaurant. Don't know if this is his standard operation practice but a word to the wise if you want to eat and not be rushed you might want to try Arby's down the street for their Ruben.

9  Thank Marcus S
Reviewed November 15, 2013 via mobile

Amazing authentic New York deli. The best Reuben you'll EVER put in your mouth...I get it every time with the tuna mac. Ok people listen up...these people are from New York...that's why the place is so authentic....they are not rude....they are just to the point people. They are very nice but they have low tolerance for the stand up there for 15 mins wishy washy ppl who can't make their mind up kind of ppl. There are plenty other places you can go in MB if you want slow, syrupy sweet southern charm that waits until you leave to talk ugly about you kind of place. You come here for the amazing food.

1  Thank Tammy H