“Horrible, Terrible, Rotten, Disgusting, Filthy...”

Myrtle Beach Atlantic Palms Oceanfront
Ranked #139 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed May 25, 2005

Most Unamerican horrible place to stay. I own a cleaning service, wanted to get away from cleaning. My first night was spent up until 2 AM cleaning our room to get the sticky residue, splatters, scum, and filth off of everything! Our houskeepers did not speak English...Supposedly. They didn't understand VACUUM Cleaner by attempting to play charades with them. The parking was awful if nonexistent. The Elevator's stunk like rot and were down right scary. Their were dead crawling insects in our room, or at least they were playing dead! Continental Breakfast meant, get there first or forget it. Everything was stale. Don't want to be completely negative: Coffee was okay! Ice machines were all broken except for one on main floor which was always about empty. Do not walk around outside without shoes. Everything needs maintanance, painting, or just plain cleaned. Don't bother to complain, the owner is foreign and just plain doesn't care what you think.

• Stayed: June 2002
3  Thank luckiestone

Charleston, WV
Reviewed August 22, 2004

I am writing in regard to the Best Inns and Suites Hotel at 703 South Ocean Blvd., Myrtle Beach, SC 29577 phone 843-626-3610

My family and I stayed there for one night on August 14, 2004. I am glad I only paid for one night because we could not believe the condition of our room when we saw our room. It was supposed to by an efficiency with full kitchen. The room was very small with the beds very close to the dresser and it was awkward to walk thru. The bathtub had hair in the shower. The room also had wall paper coming off the wall and yellow places in the ceiling. The hallway smelled like dirty gym socks. We were in room 602 which was supposed to be a side view. Side view of a parking garage, no ocean insight. Only one dirty plastic chair on the balcony. The balcony had rusting rails.

Their brochure stated rooms with kitchens and suites they offered: Stove/oven, microwave, full size refrigerator, coffer maker and other accessories upon you request. Our room had NO coffee maker, NO pots and pans, NO cooking forks or spoons, NO dishes, No dish cloths, etc. Their brochure said if we hand a complaint to bring it to the attention of management immediately and don't wait until check out. I went down stairs and ask why our room did not have any cooking utensils and if I could have a dish towel, etc. I was told they did not provide dish towels and if I wanted something to cook with, I would have to pay $20 to rent pots & pans. They said they did not have a coffee pot for the room even though their ad clearly stated the room would have one. The pool was dirty and their outside SPA was yellow, I am not kidding the water was yellow. The elevator to our room shook all the way up and the door over the emergency call phone was gone.

I told the front desk I was unsatisfied with my room and they let me see another room, well it wasn't any better, so we remained in the room 602. The staff tried to stay that due to Hurricane Charlie the hotel was not up to par. I told them that a lot of these things were going on way before Hurricane Charlie. They had no answer for that. I told they I felt they were not up to Best Inn Suites' Standard, they just shrugged their shoulders and said you just don't know our clientele? Well, I thought I was staying at a nice hotel not a dive?

Their ad said the breakfast starts at 5:00 am to 9 am. Their ad says breakfast includes cereals, milk, toast, bagel, muffins, sweet role, cream cheese, butter, jelly, two types of juice and coffee regular and decaffeinated. We went down at 6:00 am for breakfast. At 6:20 the last Tupperware container was put on the counter. Breakfast consisted of stale bagels, a small pastry dish with a little cream cheese on it, a jar of jelly, a jar of butter, bread served in a dirty looking Tupperware container. Stale honey buns cut into small bite size pieces served in a dirty looking basket. NO juice, no muffins, no sweet roles.

For all this service my family paid $70+ of our hard earned money. I did learn one valuable thing, from now on, I will never pay for a room before I see the room first.

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Fayetteville, NC
Reviewed July 27, 2004

I have just recently stayed at the Best Inn & Suites during the weekend of 7/16-7/20. I throughly enjoyed my stay. I did think the parking lot was an issue, but now I understand why so many people are overweight in America. They just want to roll out of their cars into the room. The rooms were in good shape. I was not expecting the standards of a Hilton when I was only paying $100 a night during peak season. The pools were in good shape as well, and was convienently located in front of the beach. That was nice! Overall I thought the property was in decent shape and exceeded my expectations. I would recommend this hotel to anyone. Thanks for reading this review!

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 17, 2004

Check in went smooth. Upon reaching the elevator, the floor was very wet and very worn! Due to the environment of which the hotel is located this was to be expected. After entering the dimly lit wall-way the carpet was so soaked, water was sloshing out from under our feet. We located our room & the door was very hard to open, as if the jam or door itself was swollen & we had to apply a lot of force. After entering, many alerting concerns were observed. Just to state a few, the balcony door was screwed shut (which is a known Fire hazard), the room had not been kept-up to good housekeeping standards, the adjoining room door was opened & to no surprise was found very filthy and unkept!!! I will say that the restroom seemed to be clean. We Did leave this Hotel and found better conditions at a neighboring Establishment. But I can not in Good Faith even Rate this Hotel, with 1 Dot. Unless it is brought up to the standards of it's surrounding fellow Establishments, I would not advise any customer or travel agencies (.coms) to carry them as an advertised Hotel. I feel it says allot about a Company who will improve it's self after receiving genuine objective criticism.
Thank You for the Opportunity & Right to Freely state my experience and opinion!
Michelle from Kentucky

1  Thank Michelle D
Dallas, TX
Reviewed June 2, 2004

We are in our second night at the Crappy best inn. First of all, the mean old lady from the counter gave us a bad key, which she apparently fixed, but now our other key doesn't work. Secondly, the elevator is old and falling apart. I also got STUCK in there for about 2 minutes and hit the panic key which didn't alarm anybody. Thirdly, parking stinks. They have underground parking for about 5 people with only one way driving access. STUPID!!! Then the rest of the parking is across the street. It is impossible for every hotel hostage to have parking. AND when you are crossing the street from the parking lot to the hotel, you are crossing the busiest street in Myrtle Beach! Also they have no secutiy around. There are hoodlums hanging out all over the hotel. You will definitely not feel safe here. I would only recommend this hotel to my worst enemies.

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Charlotte, NC
Reviewed April 21, 2004

This place is a joke. I agree with the other reviews about how nasty and smelly it is. DO NOT stay here, unless you have very low standards. I guess it would be ideal for young people who are just looking for a cheap place to sleep after partying all day. It would take alot of alcohol for me to sleep in those beds. The rooms looked like they were rented out hourly - no telling what had been going on in there. Very dirty and nobody around who is willing to help. We were only there for one night, since we were going to a condo the next day - but that was one night too many. I would have refused to stay, but all the other hotels were sold out. We wouldn't even sleep with the covers pulled back because the sheets were so disgusting. We only rode the elevators long enough to bring our luggage up. It was like taking your life in your hands. I wasn't sure we would make it to our floor. They shook so bad you would swear there was a hurricane hitting the hotel. The parking was a joke. IF you can get a spot in the deck then you are lucky enough to park with all the piles of trash and used furniture, etc. Don't even drive in there if you have a large car. We have a Navigator and could barely get back out of the deck. (there are only a few spots of parking in there because of all the garbage piled up) We ended up having to park in their other lot which is across the main road and down a bit. You are out in the open for anyone to be tempted to tamper with your car. Plus, we have 2 kids and it was a pain trying to cross the busy road every time we wanted to go somewhere. I could go on about all the other "problems" this place has, but I think you get the point. Bottom Line = AVOID THIS HOTEL!!!!

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Charlotte, Nc
Reviewed April 17, 2004

Honestly, I don't know what everyone was fussing and complaining about!
At least, our stay there was very acceptable. We got clean towels whenever we needed, and house keeping was prompt and on time every day, sometimes twice a day, with whatever we needed done. I would most certainly recommend this hotel to anyone who wants a fairly comfortable stay at an affordable place. Hope this is helpful!

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member