“An enjoyable 5 night stay”

Myrtle Beach Atlantic Palms Oceanfront
Ranked #139 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed September 23, 2012

We found this hotel to be a very good value booking thru Hotwire. We were a little put off by the reviews after booking and expected some problems. The side room was VERY SMALL and the ocean view was almost nonexistent as several reviews mentioned. The staff was friendly and the room was very clean and up-to-date. The parking spaces underneath are sparse and most parking is across the street. Complimentary coffee for the room coffee maker can be had by asking at the desk. The location is oceanfront and within walking distance of the boardwalk and two downtown fishing piers (1.4 miles), a close by family amusement park (2 blks) and another fishing pier (about 2 miles). The bed was very, very comfortable and the bedding was of premium quality.

Room Tip: Avoid a side room if you want a good ocean view.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 21, 2012

The hotel is not the worst I have been to but we will not be going back either. We had a room with 22 double beds, an oversize sofa chair and kitchenette with a very small side balcony which overlooked the property next door that is under contruction so all you saw was scaffolding and boarded up doors. The staff was friendly the night we checked in however was very rude when we asked the front desk for more towels and a blanket. The room was extremely small. We had a blood stain not only on the pillowcase but also the pillow which made me wonder if they even changed the pillowcase. The bathroom sink leaked. Parking is a mess when you are trying to check out as there are only 4 parking spots at the front doors so when all the guests are leaving at the same time it gets backed up into the street. Not a horrible stay but there are plenty other 1st choices next time.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank MichelleS4893
Reviewed September 6, 2012

After reading some of these reviews, it could make anyone think twice about booking a hotel on-line, but you can't always take other people word for it. I had spent many hours browsing for hotels and finally just decided to pick one because on our budget we didn't expect to get much. My boyfriend and I stayed for two nights and were very pleasantly surprised with what we got!

The lady at the front desk was very friendly and immediately made us feel welcomed, we had no issues checking in or out, and parking was free (well included in your payment) and conviently located. There were no hidden charges and we didn't get any surprise bills later. Our room was small, but perfert for two. We had a mini kitchen furnished with dishes, pots & pans, and a full fridge. Some comments were made about the smell in some other reviews, but the smell was from the salty beach air, it wasn't overwhelming and it wouldn't deter me from coming back. Having a comfortable bed is one of the most important things to me and I was NOT disappointed. Tempur-pedic bed was super comfortable and we had clean linens. Our bathroom was clean with a modern feel to it (the whole room as a matter of fact). We had clean towels and the water temp was perfect everytime.

The one thing that wasn't so great was a drink that I ordered downstairs at the bar, it didn't have any flavor to it (it was a miami vice). It's the little things that can make your stay enjoyable or horrible and I can sincerely say that we had an enjoyable stay. When it's time to make another trip to Myrtle Beach, we will booking here again!!! I love getting the best bang for my buck!

Room Tip: We stayed in an even numbered room onthe 3rd floor ( think it was 14). They didn't advertise a o...
1  Thank CB803
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Let me first say that we stayed in an odd numbered King Side Efficiency.

Overall, the decor in the room was modern and nicely stated. The exact room pictured on the website were not exactly what we found in terms of bedding and room color but this was a relief. I would not like the same comforter to be on my bed that was in a picture from 2009. The in-room amenities in this this hotel are great. Full Fridge/Freeze, oven, microwave, coffee maker, toaster, silverware, cookie sheet, pots/pans, dishes (including a can opener!). They do have a policy that you do not leave food in the fridge and clean all dishes used.

The bed was soft and comfortable with sheets and a blanket used as cover. The sheets were good quality. I thought I would be chilly during the night but found myself quite comfortable. (who really wants a thick comforter at the beach?) There was a large chair in the corner with a coffee table in front of it. The dresser has a large flat screen TV on it with cable including HBO. There was a closet behind the mirror with linen for the pull out chair and hangers for clothes. The bathroom was well cleaned with many towels and a bathmat folded on the tub when we entered. The sink was a modern-looking full bowl sink. There is plenty of counter space in the bathroom with storage under the sink.

I inspected the sheets, blankets, counters, and every other thinkable space for any spots, stains, or questionable areas. I could not find a single area. (I have allergies, trust me I look.)

I have come to realize that people will complain about anything and then do not ask for what they need. This was a great hotel. The room was clean with room service coming by each day. We asked them not to vacuum on the second day but they nice ladies switched out all of out towels and gave us more toiletries without asking! All staff acknowledged us and were friendly. They housekeeping ladies even noticed that we left up our do not disturb sign and asked us if we needed anything when we ventured out later that day.

The downside of the room was my boyfriend and I had to share the large chair to eat when in the room because there really was no other place to sit and eat. I'm sure this was not the case in larger rooms. There was not a luggage rack for me to unload my suitcase with but I got over that quickly. The downstairs restaurant has normal bar food. I was looking to have breakfast in bed, did not want to eat pizza.

You do have to go to the ground floor to get to the pool and beach. The garage is well lit day and night and I felt safe there. The garage does have a few hotel materials down there far off in a corner but the garage was painted nicely and bright.

For loading and unloading, there is a small space in front of the hotel. There are spaces available under the hotel for loading and unloading. The parking lot is across the street and people in myrtle beach do have a hard time stopping for pedestrians. We could always find a space in one of the lots, there are 8 in total with a security guard patrolling the lots. We always found a spot to park in. It seems that many hotels have lots across the street so this isn't something uncommon.

The location of the hotel was great. You can walk to the beach which we did each night. There are a couple restaurants located next to the hotel but most restaurants are a few blocks up on Kings Highway. There were people and families walking about even late into the night. I felt safe walking over a half mile away from the hotel. I found women walking alone from the grocery store (even on side streets with few street lights). If you're a walker you can walk to the grand strand and many other attractions.

In all the front desk staff were helpful. The housekeeping staff were more than nice. The hotel room was clean. Beautifully decorated with many amenities. Great Time, Great Hotel. Two thumbs up.

Room Tip: Odd side rooms that are not oceanfront, have a view of a hotel under construction. Select an even s...
2  Thank Rachel S
Reviewed September 2, 2012

This hotel could be nice if only the management cared at all. It is a very dirty hotel. The pools were never cleaned once the entire week we were there, it's pretty sad to watch the hotel next door clean their pool from our balcony daily and look down and not see a single staffe member from our hotel even step foot in the pool area. The pools all had sand and trash in them, a lot of the pool walls had slime that people had scratched there names in and some were a few months old by the dates they added. The deck area was filthy with dirt and mildew it looked like it hadn't been cleaned in months. Some of the ceiling tiles were broken making then place look run down. Worst part is all the cleaning tools are there but are not touched. The stairs leading to the beach are broken and unsafe in spots. Then main floor is the only clean floor just for appearance I believe, the hotel bar isnt open it's not even finished being removed so they have a make shift bar at the pizza area, which can't spell jalapeño right on any of there menus which is funny. The rooms are nice bed was comfy we had a corner ocean view room which was big enough for the two of us. Bedding could be better sheets had stains, towels had stains. They do not provide coffee in the rooms but have a sign saying to get coffee from the front desk, but we just went to the hotel next door that had a Starbucks in it. Most of the staff was nice except for one lady during the day who seemed to care more about her cigarette breaks then actually working. The hotel is located in a good area which is close to everything. Overall this hotel could be a very nice hotel they just need to fix it up and clean it more.

Room Tip: Get a corner ocean view they are much bigger then some of the other rooms.
2  Thank Jw413
A TripAdvisor Member
Bishopville, South Carolina, USA
Reviewed August 30, 2012

I enjoyed my stay and plan on using this hotel again. The room are nice and l love the kitchenette. The staff is friendly except for one of the desk clerks. She need to be a little more friendly. The upgrades are beautiful.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with cheaprooms.com
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 29, 2012

We almost cancelled our reservation after reading some bad reviews but this place turned out to be a diamond in the rough. Right from the time we walked in and getting into the room, my wife and I wondered about those bad reviews. Rooms are better than 4 star hotels. It does have some minor negatives but I would say, this is a fantastic value for the money. Location is just perfect and access to beach is just a few steps away from the pool and jaccuzi. We ended up extending our stay by another day.

4  Thank manojnancy