“Great, Affordable Hotel - Beware of the Pool!”

3 Palms Oceanfront Myrtle Beach
Ranked #138 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed August 21, 2012

My boyfriend and I recently stayed at the 3 Palms Myrtle Beach during our 5 day vacation to the Grand Strand. We chose the 3 Palms based on price and the pictures posted on the website, as well as other reviews. We were not disappointed! This hotel is very centrally located - right on the beach, and only a 10 minute drive to Broadway at the Beach. There are also many restaurants that are within walking distance. The only complaint about the location is that the area a few blocks down, near the Family Kingdom theme park, is a little "seedy", especially at night. However, during the day, we did not encounter any issues.

The room itself was great. There was a large king sized bed, which was very comfortable, a large dresser with 3 large drawers, a very good sized closet, with hangers and an iron. There was also a love seat tucked away in the corner, and a nice sized flat screen TV. The bathroom was also a good size, and fully stocked with travel sized shampoos and soaps. A cool "bowl sink" was in the bathroom, which was a nice touch. A complaint about the bathroom - there was no liner in the shower. We never inquired about this, but it did mean that the curtain itself, as well as the floor, got very wet during showers. Also, the bath towels were very thin and cheap, and there never seemed to be enough. We felt as though we were constantly calling down to the front desk for more towels.

The kitchen was great, although we did not use it as much as we thought we would. It was nice to have a full sized fridge, however, to store food and beverages throughout the week. We were so pleased with the room, it was clear that the hotel had been recently renovated, and it was nice to stay in such updated accommodations.

Another complaint is that the lobby, hallways and elevators had a weird odor. Almost like cleaning supplies gone bad if that makes sense. Luckily, this odor did not creep into the rooms. Also, I would avoid the restaurant on site. The menu is very basic (wings, chicken fingers etc), and the food is not very good.

I have seen many complaints about the parking and size of the loading / unloading zone. We arrived on a Thursday and left on a Monday, so maybe this is why we had no issues when loading and unloading. We were able to drive up, unload our stuff, and exit the area with no problems. Also, there are 4 lots directly adjacent to the hotel that are exclusively for 3 Palms guests. There were only two occasions when the lots were full, and then we were able to park in the overflow lot, which is just one street behind.

A word about the pool - in order to access the lazy river, pool, hot tub, and the beach, you have to take the elevator to the ground floor and cross through the underground parking garage, which was strange, and frankly, probably not very safe at night. The hot tub itself was tiny, and located just adjacent to the parking garage, and covered by the roof. It seemed to be in bad shape, the tiles were peeling. The pool itself was in the same condition - very small, and the deck itself seemed to be dirty and also in poor condition. The lazy river wasn't much of a "lazy river" - you had to propel yourself around it, and the inner tubes seemed to be old. However, we were there for the beach, and did not use the pool once, so this was not a huge deal.

Overall, for the price, this hotel was great. The room was very clean, nice accommodations. We would definitely stay at this hotel again!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 16, 2012

At our initial check in the concierge service was nice after that it was all down hill we reserved a room for 5 people one could not make thankfully because the room was way to small ( sitting on the bed to eat meals) to acommidate that many people but they put us in it anyway?( no desire to remedy the problem) We had a beautiful view of the unfinished construction ( has to be at least 5 years old!!) and the garbage ( alot of beer cans &bottles) from our tiny balcony I called the front desk at 8:45 p.m. to inquire about the ice machine and no answer! this is still their busy season? On our 3rd day our room was not cleaned until 3:10 p.m. (no big deal) but the lady's cleaning decided to have lunch in our room (no break room I suppose?) we have been coming to this area for quite a few years and will return but will not be staying at the 3 palms again next time I will look harder for better accommodations for my family 3 three palms is not worth the $

• Stayed: August 2012
Nicole M, Director of Sales at 3 Palms Oceanfront Myrtle Beach, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2012

We strive to give our guests the best possible service during their stay. Were any of your issues addressed with management during your stay? If we know what room and/or floor you stayed on we can research the issues.

Reviewed August 11, 2012

After a thorough review online, we were pleased to find this hotel --- until we got there. The pictures online were NOTHING like the room we got - I'd LOVE to know where those rooms are! I paid for a double suite (which we NEEDED) and requested a good sofa bed, but inexplicably got a king suite with a terrible, broken-down sofa bed, which was never explained, even though I asked why at check-in. They replaced the sofa-bed after I called about it, but the new one was not much better - stains on the couch cushions and mattress provided --- yuck. Also, it appeared that housekeeping Never swept the floor or changed any sheets for our 3-night stay and kept shorting us on toilet paper and bathtowels, resulting in our constant calls for enough towels just to have one bathtowel and washcloth per person each day. The "restaurant" downstairs appeared to be open, but no one would take our order. LONG check-in and check-out lines and we got ants in our car from the off-site parking. Loading area is a ridiculous cluster area and almost impossible to navigate. Only one room key ever worked. Only Pros --- Kitchen was nice, Beach was right outside the back of the hotel, and the consierge was friendly and helpful. However, we wish we'd stayed somewhere else and next time we are in Myrtle Beach, we definitely WILL.

Room Tip: If a sofa-bed is needed, be sure to ask for a "good one". Apparently, this is a guest res...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank FlashandWW
Reviewed August 7, 2012

I was excited to get such a good rate for 2 weekend nights at an oceanfront hotel for my friend's bachelorrette party weekend. Once I got there I could definitely see why the rate was so good. Off site parking was frustrating, especially at night when we all arrived. They let you pull up front to unload but there were so many cars arriving at the same time it ended up just being one big cluster of cars (a complete mess!). The elevators were TERRIBLE! You press one floor and it would stop at every floor between you and that floor even if no one was at the floor it would stop on. This happened EVERY time. The room was much smaller than imagined- the king size bed took up the entire room and there was barely enough room for the pull out sofa (twin size) to pull out. I will say the bed was comfortable and the room was clean. 2 out of the 3 staff members I dealt with were nice, one was fairly short with us. The lazy river isn't really a "river", you have to propel yourself.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Cat I
Reviewed July 31, 2012

It began with the unfriendly and ever so long service we encountered at check-in by Sean Mone. He was unfriendly, unhelpful and so slow. It took almost 20 minutes to check us in, and in the end, all he did was hand us our keys and the sheet of paper, which I later realized was our receipt. I was quite taken back by the fact that I was charged upfront for my room. I guess that is an assumption on the hotel’s part that we will not enjoy our stay and not want to stay longer. I have never checked into a hotel and had to pay upfront! I was floored by this. The only positive side to your hotel is Becky at the Concierge desk!

Throughout our stay, we encountered an abundance of rude maids. They appeared to hate their jobs so much. Definitely not a friendly encounter when your customers are trying to enjoy a pleasant vacation. On the Wednesday of my trip, as I opened the door, the maid was in the hall and said, “What do you need?” I said, “New towels please and our room cleaned. We have sand on the floor that needs to be vacuumed.” As I returned to my room, I noticed that my towels were on the kitchen counter draping onto the stove! Not in the bathroom, and the room was how we left it! No cleaning had been done!!!

In addition, we ran out of toilet paper because the maids did not clean and replenish our amenities! Our toilet leaked the entire time which caused water to always be all over in the bathroom so we had to use towels to soak it up. I let the front desk know immediately when we saw this happening and it was never fixed.

In addition, our fridge did not close properly and we had to prop it to stay closed. I also let the front desk know about this and it was never fixed.

I attempted to speak with the manager on the day of check-out, but was told that he was busy and unable to be disturbed. Wow!

I will never return! Run - don't walk to another hotel!

Room Tip: Pick another hotel!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank A T
Reviewed July 30, 2012

My week vacation that I paid over $2000 for at this hotel was great, until day 6 when I got a knock on my door from the rent-a-cop downstairs, at 12:30 in the morning while I was sleeping, telling me that there was marijuana smoke/smell coming from underneath my door. He claimed that we covered the smell up with axe after he entered our room. I have never smoked marijuana in my life and was appalled by this accusation. They also had already charged my credit card immediately without inspecting this first. I will never stay here again. The desk staff is rude and the manager never followed up with us. I wish I had more room to write more bad things.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Alyssia C
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Other than the small room (604) with 2 beds and a sofa bed, we really got a good rate and should not complain. Room had a "side view" of the ocean, but all we used the small balcony for was to dry out our swim suits and towels. No big deal. Room was equipped with a refrigerator, stove, sink, microwave, with cooking utensils, dishes, glasses, and plates. Only problem, whenever we used the toaster or fried meat the fire alarm went off. Hotel has small indoor parking garage, and we managed to find a spot every day. Otherwise, there is a large space across the street. Pool area, indoor and outdoor was adequate. Short walk to beach with lifeguards. On weekends the huge hotel next door had a DJ playing very loud music all weekend that carried over to the beach. There are grocery stores and an ice cream shop short walking distance from hotel. Restaurants are mostly located some distance away from hotel. All things considered, we enjoyed the hotel and our stay there.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family