“Good stay with some difficulty”

Monterey Bay Suites
Ranked #87 of 208 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Jamestown,Ohio
“Good stay with some difficulty”
Reviewed July 23, 2010

We stayed at this hotel mostly for the free breakfast. After reading the reviews, they are clear about what you will encounter. Hopefully this will help. We arrived late in the night beacause of travel difficulty. mostly wrong directions from bing.com. This did help us as we didn't have to go thru the rigm and roll about the "free gift" after registration. Avoid this! First lets look at the good points. Room was very clean. Bathroom was clean. Kitchen was a bit cramped to say the least. but clean. Beds and linens were clean.The pools and hot tubs were very nice and clean. Main pool area was cramped at times but not all of the time. The free breakfast was very nice. Food was fresh and very good. Only downside was that if you came down late, you had to wait or have someone in your party save a table. Service a bit slow for the amount of people there. Just not the best set up/serving area overall. OK the bad/negatives: Parking was very cramped and overloaded do to the hotel being booked full. The biggest problem, you had to park from ground to floor 8 only!! There were 6-7 levels closed off! We found a place each time we returned but was a hassle. Lobby had a internet area but was closed shortly after we arrived. Very Very slow and is always that way according to the desk. Had problems with Wi-Fi connection also. Elevators. Oh boy! be prepared! Very slow as listed in other reviews. Staff and guests using 3 elevators together. If we had to go down, we used stairs quite a few times! Overall, we like the hotel minus the difficult parking/elevators. The free breakfast saved us alot of money as there were 6 in our group. Hotel location is nice as long as you don't want to be near the action of downtown! We would stay again but, would probably book the Carolinian. Stayed there 2 years ago. Its great!!!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (259)
Columbia, SC
Reviewed July 19, 2010

My family and I stayed for a week at this hotel and from the moment we checked in until the moment we left, we were more than happy with the value, service and accommodations.

The rooms were clean and well maintained. The view from our balcony was lovely. The kids really loved the indoor/outdoor pool and lazy river. My husand and I enjoyed being able to order snacks and drinks poolside as well. The complimentary breakfast was very good in comparison to a regular continental - it had eggs and bacon among pastries and cereals, as well as fresh fruit.

Our room was very comfortable and we took advantage of the kitchen amenities on the evenings we didn't want to dine out. We even ordered cheeseburgers from the restaurant one evening and they were very good.

The parking was a little difficult because the deck is narrow but we took our time and found a parking spot on our floor which we were able to return to several times during our stay.

All in all it was a great trip and the hotel was not only nice, it was very affordable. We will definitely be returning to Monterey Bay next year!

Burlington, Canada
Reviewed July 19, 2010

Very dirty and poorly maintained. I could live with the outdated decor but they could replace things like lamps that don't work, bedside clock that was impossible to set as the buttons were worn and didn't work properly, missing items from kitchen, etc..The beds were uncomfortable and the bedding was terrible. You got a sheet and the dirty bed spread which constantly slipped off the bed overnight. Could they not afford blankets? Housekeeping usually forgot to leave something daily but managed to put a note on the dirty table reminding me about their tip. The last day of our accommodations was the only day they provided the cleverly folded towels (hoping for a good tip?) yet they forgot to leave toilet paper. Elevators were a nightmare. Wi-fi only worked 2 days of my 9 night stay and was patheticly slow when it did work. I received 2 different excuses as to why it didn't work and looking at a lot of the other reviews from months ago, they received the same explanations........I guess their router gets struck my lightning a lot??? I stayed here the previous year and the wi-fi was the same although it didn't completely go down for such a long time. Needless to say, this was my last stay at Monterey Bay. I am not that picky and was not expecting a 5 star hotel but this place would be lucky to be rated a 2. I honestly don't understand the reviews that raved about this place. Could it be the management posting them??????

1 Thank myrtlebeachlover2010

Travelers are raving about these Myrtle Beach hotels

West Virginia
Reviewed July 18, 2010

I am seriously shocked at the good reviews this place is getting!! This is the 5th year staying at Myrtle Beach for vacation, and my family and I have not had a worst time than we did this year! ( Thanks to Montery Bay) Here is just a small amount of what was wrong with this resort...The parking is horrific, if you have a topper on car (or oversized vehicle)stay on first 2 levels if there is room, if not your SOL, the elevators were so caked with dust that if you breathed in too hard you would choke, due to the fact there was no air cond, unless you call a dusty fan air cond, room was dirty, I was afraid to even take a shower without flip flops, the beds had a plastic pad which was torn and had a date of 9/1/09 I am taking this was the last time changed..YUCK!, the bathroom was tiny and floor was stained, dirty, and the smell in the whole room was so bad that we had to buy air freshners, the balcony was so small that all four of us( 2 adults, 2 children-10yrs&7yrs) could not move around, the lazy river is inside and very small, but other pool was not bad...By the way, there is always a catch when they give you something free, like their free breakfast...If you do not want to spend the next 1/2hr in the bathroom, I would skip the "FREE BREAKFAST"... and the FREE WIFI - was out of order for the first 2 days of staying then when it was "fixed" you could not use in your room, and the 10th floor as one attendee relayed to me. It would work in the lobby, but at a slow speed, and frequent boot offs from server!... If you are considering on staying here, please find a different resort! We read all the reviews on here before going and there seemed to be more good than bad???...but the bad reviews were spot on about our stay.....PLEASE DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY, AND RUIN A GREAT AREA TO HAVE A VACATION LIKE WE DID!!!!! (P.S.- They actually asked me if the next time staying in Myrtle Beach, would I book their resort to stay........what a joke!!)

4 Thank BeachBum1077
Whittier, North Carolina
Reviewed July 16, 2010

I had an excellent time. The staff was friendly, the location was excellent, and the room was as clean as could be expected (Im a real neat freak). I would recommend Monterey Bay to anyone traveling to Myrtle Beach.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed July 13, 2010

not very clean. I killed a cockroach IN my bed. the rooms are much smaller than pictures on the internet, more like a hotel rather than condo. elevators and parking terrible. needs updated. I checked out 3 days earlier and went to another place "Dunes", paid a little more but was worth it. I guess you really do get what you pay for. would not return here nor recommend.

1 Thank skf92
north carolina
Reviewed July 13, 2010

Last visit was 10 years ago. What a change. Guess these folks are going to forget patrons, sell out and make condos. Found roaches, a MacDonalds Straw and dirt behind pull down bed. Floor was NEVER cleaned, found pizza on floor when we checked in. Sheet rests directly on mattress; no mattress pad and the sheet elastic was loose. Wheelchair handicapped must state they want the wheelchair accessible room - else suffer being stuck in the living room area with no way to wheel back again past the bed in case of fire. Same might be said for strollers. Also, the wheel chair will not fit through the bathroom door in the regular rooms. Want an elevator? Grease up your wheelchair for speed. You're going to wheel back & forth past elevator 1 and the partition that separates it from elevator 2 & 3 because one series of buttons controls all. No parking above 8th floor due to construction. Don't count on any elevator to arrive any time soon. Construction people using them. There's a metal trip tab on the window frame floor that is in the sliding glass door to the balcony, most probably to keep wind out but it is an enormous tripping hazard for those who do not pick up their feet. One good thing, they've put bumpers on the spiraling, narrow ramp. SUV's won't be too heavily damaged. Sports car buffs will love it. Pedestrians shouldn't even attempt that way down. No free breakfast is worth the stay here - although I really enjoyed the cheerful elderly man who worked there and greeted guests every morning, the only bright spot in this dismal abyss.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family