“Home away from home” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #89 of 207 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
North Carolina
“Home away from home”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2009

This is our sixth year of staying at Monterey Bay. We love this place! The first year we went was on our honeymoon and my sister in law told us about this place. We have continued to make this our place to stay on our trip back every year to Myrtle Beach. All the rooms are three room suites, which include full kitchen and bath, living room with fold out couch and wall bed(Wall bed pulls down easily and sleeps great), and bedroom with doublebeds. You can easily sleep six. When we left out in the morning after eating the "FREE BREAKFAST" you are right near all the entertainment areas such as Barefoot Landing, Broadway on the Beach, everything is right near the hotel. When you get back to the motel the cleaning staff have been , made your beds replaced your dirty towels and emptied trash.
The free breaksfast I mentioned is really good. Starting out the morning with your meal ready to get you started for a busy day was a great way to start the day. The serving staff always greeted us happily and sometimes we were even entertained with a poem for the day by wonderful gentleman that helped serve (JIM I THINK)
The grounds and pool areas are kept imaculate, and the indoor pool temperature was perfect.
This is not a motel for young party age people, more of a place to come home to after a busy day at Myrtle Beach to relax and get ready for the next busy day. With so much to do at Myrtle Beach it is a blessing to have this room to come back to.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (258)
Mansfield, MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2009

We have stayed at the Monterey Bay Suites 4 times and My daughter and her friends (we bring 2 of her friends with us) will not stay anywhere else... it has everything we need and the staff is always friendly... now that the girls are getting older and still want to travel with us (age 19) we offered to stay closer to the center of MB but they said NO they would drive there at night so we are going back again this year. she is bringing 2 girlfriends and this time I will get them their own room it is just a bit too small for 5 adults and 1 bathroom...
my husband and I love just sitting ont he balcony at night and listenting to the ocean... it really is a perfect vacation, very relaxing and the weather is always nice and HOT!!!!

Jacksonville, NC
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Monterey Bay Suites Sat Feb 7-9. We arrived late Saturday night, and when arriving to the hotel, we went to check in, and we were very pleased with the front desk. We got our room keys and went to our room. The room was clean, and very nice. We went down to the pool area (indoor) and relaxed in the hot tub(temp was a little too hot) but overall relaxing. In the morning, we had the complimentary breakfast provided by the hotel, and it was okay, nothing too special, but it was hot which you dont get from a lot of other hotels. Eggs(scrambled)a sausage patty, pancakes, and potatoes. We enjoyed to rest of the day down in Myrtle Beach, returned to the hotel later that night, used the pool area again, and went to bed. In the morning, bright and early, we were both woken up by the sound of workers outside of our hotel room door, yelling, and talking like it was nothing. I had to open my door, and ask for them to please be quiet! I guess the hotel is in the process of painting the exterior of the building. About 5 minutes after asking for them to keep it down, they proceeded being loud, and now, were on the building, scraping paint, and we could hear EVERYTHING in our room. I called the front desk, and explained the problem, the lady appologized and said she would take care of the problem. 15-20 mins later, the noise stops for about 5 minutes, while the workers, instead of scraping paint off the side of the building, move to the roof instead (we were on the 16th floor) and decide to start their construction up there. So instead of the noise coming in from the side of the building, we are now laying in bed, trying to rest, hearing drills, and hammers on the roof, in our room! So i call the front desk again, spoke to another woman, and she said the problem would be taken care of...30 mins later, it is still going on. My husband and i were now awake, and aggrivated, that we just packed up our things, and checked out early. In my opinion, if a hotel is going to do construction on their property, near or around guests rooms, they should not start until check out time (which @ this hotel is 11:00 am) Guests pay money to have an experience...a relaxing one...and in no means was this relaxing! We probably will not be staying at this hotel again, but if you decide to stay, call ahead and make sure they are not going through any type of renovation, because your stay...will not be relaxing!

• Liked — clean rooms
  • Disliked — Loud noise...construction....nothing being done about the problem!
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Myrtle Beach hotels

pvictori
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2009

WARNING! Corner ocean front does not mean ocean front, there is a huge hotel blocking any ocean view. The staff was friendly and allowed us to change rooms. The breakfast was very good every morning and the server was sooo sweet.

• Liked — The staff was amazing
  • Disliked — The parking garage was pretty small and the corner ocean front view
2 Thank pvictori
Concord NC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2008

We've just returned from another wonderful stay at the Monterey Bay Suites in Myrtle Beach. As always, the suite was spotless, well-stocked with linens and perfect for our family. The indoor pool and lazy river area are a delight for children and adults alike! Of course, the FULL breakfast was scrumptious. The servers always make us feel like 'homefolks.' We highly recommend that you take advantage of all that Monterey Bay has to offer at very reasonable rates!

• Liked — Location, ease of reservation,friendliness of staff, suite size, breakfast!
  • Disliked — Everything was wonderful!
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank Charlimac
Sunshine Cab Company NYC
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2008

Similar experience to the review directly below ours. We checked in on 12/25 in the evening. Were supposed to stay until 12/28. Went home a day early even though we were paid up until the 28th.

This hotel has you pay up front for your entire stay when you check in. Never had to do that in my entire life, not even Vegas. The room was clearly not clean, but also not the filthiest. Didn't see any bugs or roaches during our stay, but did not feel comfortable with the level of clean. There were no blankets, only sheets and a comforter that covered the bed.

All the things said about the parking garage are TRUE and we know how to drive. Have never seen a parking garage this tight - even in NYC.

The indoor pool was always filled with children - any time day or night, and it certainly was not as big as it looks on the website.

I think there may have been a Muslim convention of some type during our stay because the majority of guests were clearly Muslims given the manner of dress. The women even wore their outfits in the pool. They held prayer meetings in a room directly off of the lobby area.

Can't comment on the free breakfast because we ate elsewhere. That was probably a smart move.

I wouldn't stay here again and I would not recommend this place to a friend. We had friends who had stayed here several years ago and said it was a great place. Well that was several years ago and it sure seemed like a way different place than they described. It sure isn't accurately portrayed in their website. We were very disappointed.

1 Thank JimIgnatowski
North Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2008

I was impressed with all the amenities I saw advertised , such as the pools and lazy river , but upon arrival I was shocked. I regretted coming here , and if there wasn't a three day cancellation requirement, i would have walked out the door as soon as I went up to my room.The room had an awful smell and it just did not feel clean.I have been to alot of hotels and this does not measure up.This felt like a cheap, sleazy motel.I got the creeps lying on the bed and thank God I keep a throw in my car-I used it to cover the pillows, before laying my head on it. House cleaning was terrible- the cleaning lady left a dirty dish we had left in the sink right where we left it. She bearly straightened the sheet on the bed ,clean up the tub, drop some cheap feeling towels in the bathroom and didn't even bother to straighten up the place.Usually in hotel bathrooms you get a shampoo ,conditioner ,soaps and a lotion ,but in this one, all that was provided was a shampoo-no conditioner and a small soap.
I couldn't wait to get home to wash the filth of this hotel off my body.
I would not come back here even if this was the last available hotel in Myrtle beach- I THINK I WILL STAY IN MY CAR INSTEAD!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Cleanliness