“Great location for a family getaway”

Monterey Bay Suites
Ranked #88 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
New Philadelphia, Ohio
“Great location for a family getaway”
Reviewed April 25, 2014

My husband, daughter, and I spent 5 days here from April 20-25. There are many great things about Monterey Bay...but there are also a few things that could be better.

Positives:
-the staff was fantastic! Some of my favorite people at the hotel were the ones who served breakfast. They were always so upbeat and kind!
-the breakfast was pretty darn good and very filling!
-our view was gorgeous! We had a corner room with 2 balconies which gave use beautiful views in just about all directions.
-the parking garage. I have read many reviews about how difficult the parking garage can be due to how tight it is. I didn't have a single problem. I drive a full sized Honda Pilot and was able to park anywhere I pleased and get up and down the ramps without any problems. All it takes is a little time and understand that it's a parking garage, not the Indie 500. I loved being able to park right literally in the hotel, not across the street.
-the kitchen! I was pleasantly surprised to find all the amenities of home within the kitchen cupboards and a full sized stoves so I could cook dinner in our room.

Negatives:
-the rooms could use an update. My daughter and I ended up sleeping on the Murphy bed because the mattresses on the Queen beds were pretty darn hard as well as having itchy comforters. I understand this isn't the Ritz, but you would expect to be able to sleep comfortably where ever you go. Also, a couple kitchen tiles were falling off the wall and a lamp was broken upon arrival.
-the all around cleanliness of the room. I AM NOT saying that our room was in any way overly dirty. The housekeeping staff was great and did their jobs well...however, things can get easily overlooked. For example, two of our pillow cases were dirty (one had a big brown stain and the other had dried gum stuck to it). My other cleanliness complaint has to due with the air conditioners. Our second night we turned on the air conditioner in the bedroom and instead of blowing out cold air, it first spit out clumps of black dust and dirt.

All in all, Monterey Bay was a good choice for my family's vacation and we look forward to returning soon (to hopefully more comfortable beds).

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Johnson1102
LeeDennison, Front Office Manager at Monterey Bay Suites, responded to this review, April 26, 2014
We are glad that you chose us as your vacation destination while in Myrtle Beach and that you enjoyed your stay with us!! I have forwarded the housekeeping information to our Executive Housekeeper and we will definitely check out the air conditioning unit in that room. We do hope that you come and see us again in the near future!!!!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (261)
Ohio, Illinois
Reviewed April 21, 2014 via mobile

We have came here for the last four years and have our vacation booked for june this year. Clean and affordable place to stay, parking is a little tight but its not awful. Rooms are clean and up to date, staff are always very helpful and friendly. Overall very nice place and would recommend to anyone.

• Stayed September 2013
LeeDennison, Front Office Manager at Monterey Bay Suites, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
We appreciate your comments and are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay here at Monterey Bay Suites. We do hope you will come back again soon!
Charlotte, NC
Reviewed April 17, 2014

This was our second stay with Monterey Bay Suites. The staff is very friendly and personable. The location is great and within minutes of everything. The breakfast selection changes daily and was tasty for hotel quality food. I love the pools and hot tubs and the fact the pool is steps away from the hotel. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
LeeDennison, Front Office Manager at Monterey Bay Suites, responded to this review, April 20, 2014
We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us!!!!!!!!!!! We do hope you will come back again soon in the near future!
Greensboro, North Carolina
Reviewed March 24, 2014

This past weekend my son and I went down for his birthday. We had no idea what all was in town and we were only able to get a room here. I was impressed. We got an ocean front view room for an affordable price. It was pretty awesome being able to swim in a heated outdoor pool in the winter. The only problem I had was that the elevators were all a little scary with the noises. There was nothing to fancy about it but it is ok for a weekend trip.

1 Thank Crystal B
LeeDennison, Front Office Manager at Monterey Bay Suites, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review for your recent stay with us here at the Monterey Bay Suites. We do look forward to seeing you again in the future.
ontario
Reviewed March 17, 2014

We stayed here for 7 nights over the march break, March 8-15. We got lucky with the weather as we were in the mid to low 20s most of the week. This is an average hotel, I would say a 3 out of 5. It was mostly clean, nothing too fancy. The maids were great, always gave clean towels and made your bed everyday. The breakfast was okay, nothing to rave about. The pools were good, one was not heated but the other 2 were so that was good. One thing to say about the pools/hot tub is that they are highly chlorinated, ruined 2 of my bathing suits and turned my daughters blond highlights green. If you are looking for an average hotel then this is it....served our purpose an had a great ocean front view. If you are only booking this for the free breakfast aspect then go elsewhere, it really is nothing too special.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
LeeDennison, Front Office Manager at Monterey Bay Suites, responded to this review, March 21, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave some feedback about your recent stay with us. We appreciate your comments and are glad to hear that overallyou enjoyed your stay here at Monterey Bay Suites. We do hope you will come back again soon!
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed March 13, 2014

My wife and I came here to get away for the weekend. The room was ok, but nothing fancy. The sink continually dripped; I tried to get it to stop and it would not. The bed was comfortable. The view in our room that had an angled ocean view it was ok but not exactly what I expected. While we were there we saw people being thrown out of a room after multiple visits from security.

Note we stayed on the 10th floor within a short distance to the pool and hot tub outside. The pool was fine and we spent a lot of time in the hot tub. But, this hot tub only half of the jets were working in it. The lazy river, and indoor pool on the ground level were nice, in addition the hot tub was nice too. While there we saw someone cleaning the pools and checking ph levels, etc each day. This is a positive note. Also the outdoor space right beyond the pool was very nice with corn hole, swings, areas you could eat outside, lounge around, etc.

The breakfast was all right and you are limited to one trip to the hot buffet items. I had not known this before booking. There was some fruit, cereal, toast, and other items. My main focus was the hot items though (eggs, waffles, grits, sausage, bacon, etc). The staff was all very polite and helpful.

My wife and I got stuck in the elevator nearest to the parking garage. I will say that after buzzing the alarm and help button and talking with staff. A staff member did come up and help us pretty quickly. It was great to see his hand come around the elevator door to pull it open. We had been stuck on the 10th floor and were more afraid of the elevator dropping us down 10 floors. Also, about an hour or so later we went down to the lobby to ask for suggestions for dinner. During that time I heard the man behind the desk on the intercom asking if the people in the elevator were ok multiple times. Then about 20minutes later (while still talking with the Wyndham lady) a person came down mentioning that an elevator was stuck and not opening the door. This is a major concern that after the issues the elevator was not shutdown or signs put up so no one would use it. Also, this may have happened on more than just the one elevator but it does not sound good in terms of possible maintenance. So we took the stairs as much as possible after the elevator incident.

The lady from Wyndham also was making comments pointing out negatives or putting down items in comparison to some of their fancy new Wyndham hotels. I thought that was not in the best taste.

Also, the icemaker on our floor did not work and I had to go down two floors to get ice. Despite all in my review I would stay there again; had it Not been for the elevator issues. The elevator issues are enough for me to not want to go back to this establishment again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to leave us some feedback about your recent stay with us here at the Monterey Bay Suites. We are happy to hear that overall your trip went well and we do want to apologize for the inconveniences that occurred with the elevator during your stay with us. These types of issues are promptly looked into and the elevator company has since been out to the property and addressed those issues.

We do hope that this won't deter you from a future stay with us and please feel free to give me a call at any time if you would like to stay again!
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed March 11, 2014 via mobile

Our third March week here and the unit we got had a few problems that were fixed promptly by the house staff. Family friendly place to
stay. The tenth floor heated pool and hot tub
are our favorite. Free breakfast was always worth getting up for. Myrtle beach sand beats west coast Florida sand by a mile!

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Henry C
Thank you for taking the time to come and leave a few positive words about your recent stay with us at the Monterey Bay Suites. We are glad to hear that your room issues were taken care of in a prompt manner and we do look forward to seeing you again in the near future!