“Not as good as a few years ago”

Monterey Bay Suites
Ranked #90 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I have stayed here 3 times and I think the overall quality is definitely going down, especially the cleanliness. I am not sure I will return. In the previous 2 stays, the rooms were very clean with nothing to complain. This time there was a bit of mold in the bathroom, the room was not cleaned properly with dust in the corners and sliding doors. The room itself was great with bedding for 6 and ocean front balcony with great sunrise views.
The breakfast was good, not great. Loved the fact that there was hot stuff like oatmeal, grits and potato wedges/tater tots.
Still good value for money, but simple things like a good room cleanup can go a long way.

Room Tip: Choose higher floors for better view
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank pralhadgoggi
Write a ReviewReviews (1,386)

Reviewed August 28, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for 3 nights. Our party of 8 had 2 ocean front suites. One on 8, the other on 9th floor. The rooms are strange, you walk into the suite through the bedroom, then through very narrow kitchen to the living room... Decor needs updating but the view from the rooms was amazing. Kids loved the lazy river, pools and waves in the ocean. Magic show was a great bonus :). Wonderful ladies were serving yummy breakfast. It would be nice to have a coffee in the lobby during the day...as in other hotels. Clean rooms. Would recommend. It was quie a ride up and down the parking with an SUV.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Agnes75
Reviewed August 28, 2013 via mobile

This was my 3rd summer staying at Monterey bay with my family. I will start by saying that we keep returning to myrtle beach because of the variety of activities for the entire family, it truly is the perfect vacation spot for very young children that aren't yet interested in Disney erics(mine are 2 and 4 months). Love the location of Monterey bay because it is away from the 'strip', which I try to avoid, but a short drive to all attractions and restaurants. I also love the price, it's why we keep returning;very affordable. Each year the clientele has become more and more questionable. This year there were many large groups of obnoxious people that kept my family out of the pool area. Yelling, swearing, throwing stuff in the pool, spotted. This of course is not the fault of the hotel, but I do believe the low price tag can attract the wrong types of people in some cases. There is also a lack of security at Monterey bay to stop this behaviour. My other complaint was the cleanliness of the hotel, especially the pool area. The free breakfast is pretty good. The rooms are also fine. I won't be returning mostly because of the obnoxious guests that seem to be so prevalent at this hotel. I will say that it is very affordable and the best deal on the beach for a full kitchen suite. It has gone down hill in the last 3 years and could use a face lift- but for a cheap beach vacation, it's fine if you can look past the poor behaviour of fellow guests. I cant anymore and therefore will be willing to fork out more money next year for a more exclusive resort

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 28, 2013

My husband and I stayed for a week the room was clean but there was a smell coming from the air conditioner could have been milder not sure. Breakfast was very nice only suggestion would be to have more than one buffet line for the hot food...the line did take a while to get through.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed August 27, 2013

My family and i vistied Monterey Bay Suites in Myrtle Beach S.C and WE LOVED IT!...Other then the decor in the rooms can use a little more updating, but it was our 1st time our Ocean View in all of our rooms was great my housekeeper was great her name was Caroline, everything we asked for it was done with NO problem. We will be visiting again in the near furture. AND the breakfast was gooood.

Tasha-NJ

Reviewed August 22, 2013

My family and I give Monterey Bay mixed reviews. Unfortunately for the hotel, every plus was followed by a minus.

Plus! This place is away from the stifling traffic that you will find in the downtown areas. The neighborhood, about two short blocks from Kings highway) is for the most part residential. You can easily travel by foot or car to many local restaurants in just a few minutes.

Minus! You cannot trust that the room you reserved will be available at check-in. At check in, the lady at the desk placed us in a room towards the street when we had reserved an executive oceanfront room. She did not tell us of the switch... ..we quickly learned of it as we arrived at our room with a view of the street. When I challenged them about the mix up, the manager Ashley told me that there was mechanical problem in the room assigned to us and we could move into on the next day. Later that same day we met two other families that were given the same story. The following day, Ashley again denied that the hotel overbooked the oceanfront rooms.. ..even after one, apparently honest girl at the desk, admitted that they were indeed overbooked. We finally did get into the right room... ...with the dishonest Ashley acting as if she was doing us a favor.

Plus! The pool and grass areas are nice. The grass area gives you a place to hang or relax away from the pool (or beach).

Minus! No real cabana bar at the pool. There was a stand that sold drinks but it was open but one day of our visit (and only for four hours). Also, the hotel ran out of pool towels shortly after 1 PM. Gotta bring your own drinks and towels in this place.

Plus. The oceanfront room was nice and comfortable for a family of four. The maid staff kept the rooms clean and stocked with towels.

Minus! The room carpets were somewhat dirty, but this could be probably said of many MB hotels in mid August. There is no dishwasher in the room kitchens and the maid staff would not clean the three glasses and two plates left in the sink. So if you plan to eat in your room, be prepared wash and dry your dishes by hand.

Plus! The included full hot breakfast was good. I would say this was the hotel's best feature.

Minus! If you go to breakfast at 9 AM, you will be challenged to find a table to sit and eat it. There were a few tables outside overlooking the pool and beach.. ..a pleasant spot to have breakfast.

Room Tip: Protect yourself from being bumped from overbooking. Call a day ahead and confirm that your getting...
1  Thank Jerry127
Reviewed August 19, 2013

I stayed here with my family of 4 in beginning of August. It was our first time here. It wasn't really updated...kind of felt like we were in the 70's with the green couch and colored furniture. It was clean though. The pool and outside area was fantastic. We went out there and drank in the evening and played corn hole while the kids played on the swing set. The kids loved the lazy river and parrot kiddie pool. It was generally pretty quiet and we didn't hear much noise from our room. Everyone that worked there was attentive and nice.

If your are picky and looking for luxury this is not your place. If you are just looking for a reasonable room that could use some work that is right on the beach w/great pools this is fine for you.