“Wonderful Week at the Beach”

Monterey Bay Suites
Ranked #86 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Ohio
“Wonderful Week at the Beach”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

I am not sure what some people were expecting at this hotel. Reading many of the reviews I almost feel like I must have stayed at a different hotel! Our room was very clean. I brought my own cleaning supplies and didn't need to use them. The sheets, bedspreads, everything was clean, dust free, and not stained. The TV in the bedroom was small but we weren't there to watch TV and this didn't bother us. Housekeeping was very efficient, and were at our room before 10am. I once asked if she could come back later and she said ok, and when we got back from the beach at 1pm our room was cleaned. If she didn't have enough clean towels she would get them and bring them back promptly. The front desk was helpful as well with supplies like coffee filters which we forgot to bring.

The breakfast in my opinion was just fine and the portions were adequate for my family and I have three teenage sons. The room size was great for my family of five. The boys got the bedroom and we had the murphy bed which was big enough, clean, and comfortable. There were plenty of extra pillows and blankets in the closet in the bedroom. I liked that there was a living room door so we could close off the living room and pretty much have our own bedroom at night. The bathroom was small, but manageable. I didn't see one single bug, nor any signs of them.

The pools and hot tubs were clean, and there were always towels available. I loved that there were two cornhole sets and the short walk to the beach was awesome. We had a beautiful view of the ocean from our balcony and we never waited more than a few minutes for an elevator. Every staff member was polite and spoke to us, even in the elevator. There was sand and some wetness in the elevator. If this bothers you then I would recommend not staying on the beach. I don't know how you would avoid this issue with people coming and going from the pools and ocean.

One thing that bothered me was that the fridge opened towards the bedroom not the kitchen and since you couldn't have the fridge open and walk through it made it more difficult to get in and out of it than it had to be. The other issue is parking, and quite honestly the only reason why we will consider a different location on our next visit. The parking garage is so tight, it is so stressful trying to navigate it. There weren't always spaces on our floor so we'd have to try to keep squeezing up the tight ramps, and even though we were driving an SUV with a large wheel kit we were denied oversized parking. If you are driving a compact car this wouldn't be a problem. Overall we had a very nice stay and would have rated this place a 5 if it weren't for the parking.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
AshelyAldridge, Front Office Manager at Monterey Bay Suites, responded to this review, July 28, 2013
Thank you for staying with us. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to seeing you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (263)
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Enjoyed our 2nd stay at Monterey Bay Suites with 2 of our children. Great location and the beach is great. One of my only complaints with the beach was getting hit by a surfboard after the lifeguards ran them off. Still have a huge bruise on my calf after 10 days.

Breakfast is hot & plentiful. Loved the lady serving on several of the days. She was very personable and cheerful. The indoor/outdoor pool was great to cool off in after swimming in the ocean. Very warm and refreshing. They added a nice swingset for the kids to use and my hubby & I enjoyed the cornhole game.

For the price, the room size was nice, though a little more space would be nice. Elevators can be a little slow but I'm a patient person. Did take a little time to get dry towels at the pool and to refresh the ones in our room on some days.

All in all, love this place for the family vacations.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Kannapolis, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed July 6, 2013

I'm sorry others have not had good experiences here. I've been here three times and each time has been wonderful. The rroms have been clean and well-cared for, and I've never had to wait too long for an elevator. I love the roof-top pool and the breakfast is nice. The staff has always been friendly and helpful.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Booboo616
Reviewed July 3, 2013

First time staying on the beach Monterey Bay was perfect for our family we had a great time staff very friendly and helpful the free breakfast was great and loved the access to the beach and was not over crowded cant wait to go back

Reviewed July 2, 2013 via mobile

We were scheduled to stay six nights at this hotel, but checked out after the first night. Parking garage is horribly small and not enough spaces available. Exterior of hotel is old and not appealing--cockroaches in garage, but luckily none in room!! Should've never checked in!!! Got to room and upon entering it had an odor, beds were disgusting and blood stain on comforter. Carpet old, greasy and stained. Cabinets in kitchen filled with dust and crumbs, stove streaked with grease stains, furniture stained and old! Very small room, nothing close to what it appears to be in photos. Bathroom so, so small! When I went to get a refund the staff refused. Very rude. Called front desk manager at home and she hung up on me, refusing to refund my first night's stay, so we stayed the first night. One great amenity was the breakfast in the morning---it was hot and well-seasoned. All I have to say is buyer beware!!!! Don't do it!!!

1 Thank JenniB007

Travelers are raving about these Myrtle Beach hotels

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 2, 2013 via mobile

This hotel was a rip off. Dont believe the pictures on the site. Lies. It is fairly cheap, but not worth it. For the negatives : The free breakfast - not like your every day breakfast. The food was not good and always crowded and dirty tables. And those elevators. Expect a good half hour wait for one. Next, the staff gave you a weird vibe, like they just didn't want to be there. Also room service, or "housekeeping", never got done or did a good job. One day we were left with no towels until 5 PM. The rooms were very small and tight. Not for familes with more than 3 people. The wall bed was discusting and smelled of mold. Lastly, that parking garage. Re-dic-u-lous. Absolutely horrible. Especially if youre driving a minivan. For the positives: the view is pretty good, and the activites for children they had mondays, Tuesdays, thursdays and Fridays. It is more of a kids resort. Lots for them to do. Lastly, the pools were fairly clean. In my opinion, I would not stay here ever again, even if I was paid.

2 Thank Emilyshakro1
Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 1, 2013

We vacationed here with family. The location was great and the room was adequate for our group. The parking garage is tight as others have stated. We found the staff to be very friendly, courteous and helpful during our stay. The breakfast was pretty good (included for the price). The younger ones loved the pools. The access to the beach was okay - did not like having to walk through crowded pool areas to get to the beach - would recommend a ramp for those who may have handicaps. We would stay again if in the area.

Room Tip: Every floor has a beautiful view. For less noise, choose a room closer to the end of a hall and away...