“Budget Hotel”

Ranked #88 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Toronto, Canada
“Budget Hotel”
Reviewed May 24, 2011

We stayed here for 3 nights in May. This is a budget hotel, through and through. The pictures on the hotel website are misleading. The rooms look newly renovated and they are, at best, tired.

We stayed in an executive oceanfront suite. There is a small bedroom when you first walk into the room with two double beds. Very old beds with ugly old bedspreads. The bathroom is just outside of the bedroom. Small but does the job and the water pressure in the shower was awesome.

Next, there is a narrow one-sided kitchen. Full refridgerator, microwave and stove. It would be a huge challenge to do any real cooking in here as there is really no space for that. Oh yeah, and unlike the picture of the kichen online, there were no wine glasses in the cupboards.

Then there is a small living room which has a balcony looking out to the ocean. I didn't mind this room. There was a small dining table, couch, chair and also a double? murphy bed that pulled out of the wall.

Walls are paper thin. Got woken up in the middle of the night twice by our partying neighbours. You would have thought that they were in the same room as us. I have never, ever been in a hotel with such thin walls. You could hear every word they were saying.

Most of the guests here are partying teens or big groups of families who could otherwise not afford a hotel room had they not been splitting the room cost three or four ways. I was even starting to wonder if some of them weren't actually living there.

The breakfast was not good. I am surprised by some of the reviews saying that it was. The "hot" breakfast consisted of toast and butter (no bagels or cream cheese), canned fruit cocktail, some cereals and then there was a small station where a server, either pleasant or surly, depending on who it was would dish out one small ice cream scoop of scrambled egg, 2 sausages, a tiny spoonful of potatoes and a premade waffle. There was a big sign saying you could not go up twice. Now I am no big breakfast eater but I would have preferred a bit more eggs and sausage since I don't eat toast, canned fruit cocktail, cereal, waffles or potatoes. Make sure you have your room key and your bracelet to won't be served.

As for housekeeping, we kept the place very tidy - beds made, dishes washed, cothes picked up and electronics safely stored away so all they had to do is come in, wipe down the counters, replace the towels, take the overly generous tip and leave. I can report that they wiped down the counter, took the towels and overly generous tip and left. I called "guests services". First off, they really need to rename this "service" considering the surly $#@hole that answers the phone. I politely explained that housekeeping had come and gone but had not replaced the towels and asked if someone could come by. I didn't think that this was a big deal. Anyway, I'm sure this guy was giving me the middle finger over the phone. Seriously, I know it. It took two more calls and a couple more middle fingers before he bothered sending someone by with some clean towels. This was at least 4 hours later.

The outdoor/indoor pool was fine as was the hot tub.

The best part of the hotel was the location. Oceanfront. We loved getting up early and going down to the beach looking for washed up treasures like jellyfish, little fish and shells. What a beautiful beach.

My family loved our first trip to Myrtle Beach but we won't be back to Monterey Suites.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank LSmithTO

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (261)
Sophia, North Carolina
Reviewed May 23, 2011

Everyone was very nice & helpful. Room was good size, clean & with oceanview. We had a blasted in the pools in & outdoors. Hot tub was wonderful. My husband and I really recommend Monterey Bay Suites. We plan to go back in September.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Lynn
Reviewed May 10, 2011

Room was nice. location was good. HOWEVER, I was extremely disappointed with response when my sister fell on the hotel premises and broke her wrist and arm. She went to the front desk for help in getting to a medical facility (I was in a class at another location and not easily reachable). They told her they might be able to take her to the urgent care center but it would be a while. My sister ended up calling a cab to transport her to the urgent care center. Later I went out to get my Sister's prescriptions filled and after driving around for 5 minutes trying to get a parking space in the parking garage I was going to park on the first floor in the RV area long enough to take the medication up to my sister. A hotel employee rudely told me to move my car immediately or it would be towed, and promptly drove away not allowing me to explain. Unusual circumstances, a disappointing response. KC North Carolina

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Lakefield, Canada
Reviewed April 13, 2011

We have stayed at this hotel for March break before and it has been alright. This last visit there was not enough pillows in the room and apprently they were all out in the hotel. The breakfast good have been better and portion of what they did have a little bigger. It was also very very noisy during the night.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Myrtle Beach hotels

Columbia, South Carolina
Reviewed April 11, 2011

The rooms are good . Refrigerator was to big for room could not acces the bathroom from kitchen. price was outstanding. Will refer to friends . Wish had gotten a ocean front view got the 2 balconies with angle view. . clean lady pickup towel never return with new ones.

Room Tip: Go online do the specials
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank foushee31
Hurley, Virginia
Reviewed March 28, 2011

We have stayed here twice and loved it both times. For the money you can't beat what you get. It is almost impossible to find a nice room w/ a full kitchen @ this price. Plus you get free buffet breakfast.....this place is a steal. I would stay here over and over again.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Lynchburg
Reviewed March 17, 2011

We were greeted with a very professional staff member when we called to make our reservations. We requested a certain room and upon arrival our reservation request was granted. Everyone of the staff that we met were so courteous. The cleaning lady was so enjoyable to talk to, the lady serving our breakfast was so energetic and pleasant, it made for a wonderful start to a GREAT DAY at the beach. The food was delicious. Our room was very clean and comfortable. Our Son and his family already have Spring Break reservations from our recommendations. We have shared our experiences with our friends and we are already looking forward to our next trip to the beach. We would highly recommend Monterey Bay Suites for a wonderful beach experience.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple