“you can't beat it for the price!”

Viking Ocean Front Motel
Ranked #167 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Mount Vernon, Ohio
“you can't beat it for the price!”
Reviewed April 8, 2014

We have spent the last two summers at the Viking and we appreciate all that they do for their customers! Not once have I had a negative experience from any of the staff, they appear to enjoy their jobs which is a definitely a plus! Our rooms have always been neat and tidy (slightly outdated but who goes to the beach to spend their entire stay in their room), the two room, three bed suites easily accommodate us and our children and they love it there.....the full kitchen allows us to save money on eating out! The awesome access to the beach lets us take late night strolls and last year we even got to watch a sting ray in the surf! We have already made our reservations for the second week in June for this summer and are counting the days!

Room Tip: If you want to use your money for extras while on vacation this is the motel for you! Try to get a r...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank jerislone

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Carrollton, Texas
Reviewed April 7, 2014

we booked rooms at the Viking ocean front motel and it was a nightmare from start to finish.we had no cable service for a couple days. we had wet towels still laying on the floor. the showers were ice cold. took around thirty minutes to get warm then whenever it did it would go from extreme hot to extreme cold. the front service desk worker was rude when we brought the issues to her attention. the people in the other rooms were shady and while on the beach I had my purse and cell phones stolen. my cards were used and now I have to get all my social security card and drivers license and other bank cards replaced. horrible experience there. I would tell everyone to stay as far away from this place as possible!!!!!!

Room Tip: go to a nice expensive hotel! that way you get great service and don't have to worry about your...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank christy o

Travelers are raving about these Myrtle Beach hotels

Georgia
Reviewed April 6, 2014

I was a little apprehensive about staying at this motel after reading some of the previous reviews, but foor $29 a night for a 2 room oceanfront suite, I couldn't resist giving it a try. I was not disappointed at all. Upon arrival we found that the a/c had been turned on for us. The room was very clean and the linens were fresh and clean as well. The staff was very friendly and helpful. And the view !! Wow !! We'll definitely be staying at the Viking in the future.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Bill F
St. Catharines, Canada
Reviewed March 21, 2014

We decided to stay at the viking again this year since our experience last year turned out to be better than expected. Is the place a little tired and worn around the edges? Definitely, BUT seeing the sunrise from our oceanfront balcony for 34 bucks a night is a steal. We figured why spend 3 or 4 times that amount on a hotel when we're pretty much only in it at night sleeping. Gave us that much more money to spend on activities, shopping, great restaurants and oh yeah a ridiculous number of Krispy Kreme donuts. lol. For some reason we couldn't get any hot water in the bathroom or kitchen. After talking to the woman at the front desk, a member of the maintenance staff showed up shortly after and got things sorted out for us quickly. The room was cleaned and we had plenty of fresh towels daily, the few times we ran into the housekeeping staff while running out for the day or something they were very polite and pleasant to talk to. As were the front desk and maintenance staff. The place could use a little freshening up,better wifi and the limited parking is a bit of a nuisance but for the price we could definitely live with those minor issues. The Viking allows us to do all the things we want to do while on March break in Myrtle Beach and not blow our budget to smithereens. For that reason(as well as the spectacular sunrises and oceanfront view) we will likely be returning year after year.

Room Tip: Top floor oceanfront, cant beat the view
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Scootereh
South Hadley Falls,Ma
Reviewed March 17, 2014

When I read the reviews about this hotel I was very wary, but being a college kid with two friends to go with me to the beachfront during spring break I figured how bad could the hotel be. I was very pleasantly surprised in the end. When we first arrived we had a major issue which was that someone in our group was under age 21 without a legal guardian which would prevent them from staying at the Viking according to the small print. The friendly front desk attendant helped us first by sending us to one of their sister hotels up the street The Polynesian. We arrived there to meet a manager who originally set us up with a similar room at The Polynesian, but then actually allowed us to stay in the room at the Viking since we had already paid to hold the room. This was nice it saved me a bit more on an already very well priced room. I checked the room at the Viking meticulously when we arrived and I found no problems at all, with the exception of two flickering light bulbs which were fixed the next day. We got housekeeping, fresh linen, and new soap and towels everyday. Everything worked and was clean. The kitchen was great and saved us even more over eating out all the time. Pots, pans, cups, mugs, plates, silverware, and most things we needed to use the stove and coffee maker were provided. We used it everyday with no problems. The location was truly great. It was only steps away from the beach, and in a pretty good and not too crowded location on the beach to boot. There is not a living room with a couch. There also werent many extra amenities to speak of such as wifi, hot tub, breakfast, etc. but we got the room for around 31$/ night for a 2 room sideview with 3 queen beds. This makes what we did get from this hotel great. This place has definitely cleaned up since the terrible reviews. The room was undoubtedly clean, everything worked, the staff was friendly and helpful, and I also noticed new mattresses in our room and new tile in the showers. I will definitely be going back.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank unedeuno
Marion, South Carolina
Reviewed February 9, 2014

I have been staying at this motel for about 15 years but will NEVER spend another penny to stay there actually I wouldn't even stay there for free! We went down for 2 weeks for my birthday, while we were there, we never had maid service I had to go to office daily to get towels, toilet paper, etc. Well on Wednesday the maid came to our room around 9:30 that morning beating on the door Well my mother in law told her that we didn't need anything but she (The maid) pushed her out of through way and said I have to come in and check the room. So I called the manager who was so rude and didn't care to listen to what I had to say. So on Friday I was going to pay for 2 more nights but was told by front desk girl that I couldn't extend my stay because the inspector said that we left food everywhere and that I stole there lamp shade which I think is pretty hilarious. First of all I am grown and I clean up behind myself secondly what do I need with a lamp shade that is probably from the 1900's and filthy. But anyway I just needed to get this out because the employees there do not care about your concerns neither does management! So I would never recommend this motel to anyone there are plenty of other motels around for just as cheap and they are much nicer. Try Holiday Sands the staff are really friendly and rooms are GREAT!!!!

• Stayed January 2014
6 Thank Meagan84
Hardin, Kentucky, United States
Reviewed November 25, 2013

our room was nice the stove needed new eyes as it took forever to get our water ready for the lobster. The beach is awesome even thou it was cool when we went. If your looking for 5 star this isn't it but It was clean and comfortable and the price was great. Be prepared to park across the street unless you want to leave your car in the same spot...

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family