“2nd year staying here”

Viking Ocean Front Motel
Ranked #166 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed March 21, 2014

We decided to stay at the viking again this year since our experience last year turned out to be better than expected. Is the place a little tired and worn around the edges? Definitely, BUT seeing the sunrise from our oceanfront balcony for 34 bucks a night is a steal. We figured why spend 3 or 4 times that amount on a hotel when we're pretty much only in it at night sleeping. Gave us that much more money to spend on activities, shopping, great restaurants and oh yeah a ridiculous number of Krispy Kreme donuts. lol. For some reason we couldn't get any hot water in the bathroom or kitchen. After talking to the woman at the front desk, a member of the maintenance staff showed up shortly after and got things sorted out for us quickly. The room was cleaned and we had plenty of fresh towels daily, the few times we ran into the housekeeping staff while running out for the day or something they were very polite and pleasant to talk to. As were the front desk and maintenance staff. The place could use a little freshening up,better wifi and the limited parking is a bit of a nuisance but for the price we could definitely live with those minor issues. The Viking allows us to do all the things we want to do while on March break in Myrtle Beach and not blow our budget to smithereens. For that reason(as well as the spectacular sunrises and oceanfront view) we will likely be returning year after year.

Room Tip: Top floor oceanfront, cant beat the view
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Scootereh

Reviewed March 17, 2014

When I read the reviews about this hotel I was very wary, but being a college kid with two friends to go with me to the beachfront during spring break I figured how bad could the hotel be. I was very pleasantly surprised in the end. When we first arrived we had a major issue which was that someone in our group was under age 21 without a legal guardian which would prevent them from staying at the Viking according to the small print. The friendly front desk attendant helped us first by sending us to one of their sister hotels up the street The Polynesian. We arrived there to meet a manager who originally set us up with a similar room at The Polynesian, but then actually allowed us to stay in the room at the Viking since we had already paid to hold the room. This was nice it saved me a bit more on an already very well priced room. I checked the room at the Viking meticulously when we arrived and I found no problems at all, with the exception of two flickering light bulbs which were fixed the next day. We got housekeeping, fresh linen, and new soap and towels everyday. Everything worked and was clean. The kitchen was great and saved us even more over eating out all the time. Pots, pans, cups, mugs, plates, silverware, and most things we needed to use the stove and coffee maker were provided. We used it everyday with no problems. The location was truly great. It was only steps away from the beach, and in a pretty good and not too crowded location on the beach to boot. There is not a living room with a couch. There also werent many extra amenities to speak of such as wifi, hot tub, breakfast, etc. but we got the room for around 31$/ night for a 2 room sideview with 3 queen beds. This makes what we did get from this hotel great. This place has definitely cleaned up since the terrible reviews. The room was undoubtedly clean, everything worked, the staff was friendly and helpful, and I also noticed new mattresses in our room and new tile in the showers. I will definitely be going back.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank unedeuno
Reviewed February 9, 2014

I have been staying at this motel for about 15 years but will NEVER spend another penny to stay there actually I wouldn't even stay there for free! We went down for 2 weeks for my birthday, while we were there, we never had maid service I had to go to office daily to get towels, toilet paper, etc. Well on Wednesday the maid came to our room around 9:30 that morning beating on the door Well my mother in law told her that we didn't need anything but she (The maid) pushed her out of through way and said I have to come in and check the room. So I called the manager who was so rude and didn't care to listen to what I had to say. So on Friday I was going to pay for 2 more nights but was told by front desk girl that I couldn't extend my stay because the inspector said that we left food everywhere and that I stole there lamp shade which I think is pretty hilarious. First of all I am grown and I clean up behind myself secondly what do I need with a lamp shade that is probably from the 1900's and filthy. But anyway I just needed to get this out because the employees there do not care about your concerns neither does management! So I would never recommend this motel to anyone there are plenty of other motels around for just as cheap and they are much nicer. Try Holiday Sands the staff are really friendly and rooms are GREAT!!!!

• Stayed: January 2014
6  Thank Meagan84
Reviewed November 25, 2013

our room was nice the stove needed new eyes as it took forever to get our water ready for the lobster. The beach is awesome even thou it was cool when we went. If your looking for 5 star this isn't it but It was clean and comfortable and the price was great. Be prepared to park across the street unless you want to leave your car in the same spot...

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Majestic S
Reviewed November 7, 2013

I like it was perfect for the price to visit the beach the room was clean it wasn't fancy but it was good for me I would do this again the cleaning lady did awesome 42 for a night cant beat that I can say if your looking for a fancy room this ain't the place to go but to me. It's awesome if your looking for a cheap hotel this is the place for you to go that's all I can say ............... . .........................................................

• Stayed: October 2013
2  Thank aaron201218
Reviewed October 5, 2013

First time going to Myrtle Beach for vacation with the family. Motel is one of the older motels around there. We stayed there for a week. We had issues with parking starting on day one. There is not nearly enough parking at the motel to accomidate guests so you are forced to having to park across the street in their designated areas that are not the most well lit when it is dark. We got there a little early and were not allowed to check in until 4 so we had to go drive around for 30 minutes before we could check in. Once we could check in the room they gave us was not done. Had to wait for housekeeping to finish up with getting beds made. Had problems with a leak from ceiling in the bathroom the first night we were there that was causing water to run on the bathroom and kitchen floor as well as down the wall by the kitchen. Had to deal with that for a hour or two while they were trying to fix it. Had another issue with water leaking from around the AC that cause the carpert to get wet. Tried to talk to someone at the front office about inconvience and kept being told I had to talk to a manager. Seemed like every time I went front desk they never had a manager working. They made no effort to want to do anything about the inconviences we had during our stay. My recommendation is to pay the extra and stay at a newer and more well know hotel/motel.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank David A
Reviewed September 14, 2013

So we got here they sd we couldn't check in until after 4 so we drove around. But we get here and it smells like dog piss there was hair and sand in the bed, and not like a strand but like jack the dog got wet and rolled around over all the beds, there was toothpaste spit still on the sink, the shower attacks u, and there is a hole in the curtains. If we dont park in time we have to park in a lot across the street that is public parking. I feel abused.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Heapster26
povmgmt, General Manager at Viking Ocean Front Motel, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to comment on tripadvisor. We appreciate any and all guest feedback. I would like to apologize for any inconvenience that you may have experienced during your stay with us. I thank you for voicing your concerns and bringing these issues to our attention. I will make sure that your complaints are forwarded to the appropriate department heads for further review so that the issues can be taken care of. Thank you again for the valuable input. It truly is appreciated. I hope you have a wonderful day.