“i like staying at this motel”

Viking Ocean Front Motel
Ranked #171 of 208 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
roan mountain
“i like staying at this motel”
Reviewed July 11, 2008

me and my husband and two kids and my mother-in-law been to this motel two years in a row and we liked it we stayed there for a week both times we went to this motel

• Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
ATL
Reviewed July 8, 2008

I just returned form my Myrtle Beach vacation where I stayed in the Viking Hotel. This was the worst hotel I ever stayed in and I would not recommend it to anybody. It is very old and run down and not very clean. The rooms are very, very small and you can't really call the kitchen in there a full kitchen. The fridge was in the second bedroom. The cleaning staff was not very friendly and it took them forever to clean the rooms. There was trash left on the walking paths and it smelled bad. The rooms did not smell but they were not very appealing either... (I was very shocked when I first entered) The only good thing was that it is on the beach and that we did not have to spend a lot of time in the rooms. I would never ever stay there again. But we did not have many other choices at that time, since we booked last minute to be there for the Independence Day weekend! I know it was a holiday weekend but the room was definetly overpriced for the standard of the hotel!!!!

• Liked — it was directly at the beach
  • Disliked — it was old, dirty and run down
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Myrtle Beach hotels

Asheville NC
Reviewed June 29, 2008

PLEASE READ THIS!!!!!!!!! We saw this place on the interent and it looks nice we didnt know anything about Myrtle Beach when we got there it was terriable the atmosphere was very unfavorable to families it was very very nasty they have roaches, the rooms smell awfull, there was bags of trash piled up beside the door of our room that was never moved! The pics of this place had to be taken maybe 50 years ago it does not look anything like this now! The pool was nasty, I was afraid to touch anything! We went for a vacation and would have rather slept in the car!!! We did stay but in another motel I hope you hard working folks are reading this before you book the room cause once they have your card number they WILL NOT give you a refund even if you do not stay there. Hey I took the loss cause I would rather lose money then catch something or have critters crawling on me in the middle of the night!! There are better places once you get out of South Myrtle Beach for resonable prices less the dirt, grime and very unpleasant atmosphere!

• Liked — NOTHING!
  • Disliked — I couldnt get a refund!
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank greypony89
Kentucky
Reviewed June 10, 2008

Our room was disgusting. The carpet was so dirty that our feet were black just walking around in the room. We would never consider staying here again.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — The room (carpet) was VERY dirty!!!
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
new York
Reviewed April 21, 2008

Upon arriving at the Viking we found our room to be
neat and clean. The carpet was a little dingy but
over all it was clean.
The stove and fridge were nice and clean but when we
tried to bake potatoes that evening, we found that our oven
didn’t work and only 1 burner on the stove worked. That
was a disappointment to us. There was a microwave in the room as well and that worked nicely.
The house keeping staff was friendly and gave us
a huge supply of towels and washcloths each day. Our bed
was made and sheets were changed twice and our room
was always vacuumed.
The parking lot was very small and over flow had to park across the street. We were lucky enough to always have a parking spot but I know several other customers were not.
There is no wireless internet access which we failed to find that out until we got there (our own fault) but we were able to go to Friendly's down the street and use theirs for a test that my daughter had to do online for school.
The pool was facing the parking lot which I didn't like.
I was hoping the pool was facing the ocean like most of the hotels on the beach were. The pool was clean but always had
stuff floating in it (ex. bags, paper etc.) We had to request it to be
skimmed on two occasions and as late at 12:00 noon.
The beach was not over crowded in that area so that was a plus. We did find several cockroaches in our room the last night
we were there. I was a little more understanding about it than my daughter was, she flipped out. They just marched a little on
the wall, none got on our bed that I know of.
Our room faced the ocean with a balcony, I was expecting sliding doors to lead to the balcony but found our only opening was our standard sized door that leads there. Being on the 3rd floor we felt it safe to leave it open all night to hear the ocean but were unhappy that windows would not open facing the ocean.
Over all the price was right and it worked for my daughter and me. From the internet pictures the room was a little misleading but like I said, it served its purpose which was to give us a safe clean enviroment while we vacationed at Myrtle Beach.
Would I book again? In a pinch yes but for next years Spring Break I will look for something else in that area.

• Liked — Ocean front
  • Disliked — No ocean view at the pool and no open windows or sliding door to the ocean
  • Stayed April 2008
1 Thank NYsunseeker
Richmond
Reviewed October 27, 2007

Our first day we had to have the room sprayed for roaches only because our friends in the room next door had their room sprayed and I thought that was a smart thing to do. Silly me thought that would stop them in their tracks. But no they came thorough the walls and made themselves at home anyway. Call them "Palmetto Bugs" if you like but they are roaches. Any way I woke up at 4:30 am and felt something in my hair. After running my hand over my hair and knocking that darn bug to my husbands side I jumped out and turned the light on just to find at least 2" roach starring back at me. I was in a stand off with that sucker. The roach was just sitting there looking at me. When my husband went to kill the bug it leaped from the bed to the wall in a single bound. Needless to say we after giving all our clothes a good shaking we packed up and left. This is without a doubt the nastiest place I have ever stayed in my 59 years. The towels and wash clothes were like sand paper and the soap and toilet paper were in short supply. If you stay at the Viking you will need to hoard a supply from the maids carts. We had forgot to pack our own personal pillows and had made the decision to buy new pillows when we checked in. However on the up side the sheets appeared to be clean.

I almost forgot we sat outside on the walk and watched 3 rooms being used for what appeared to be prostitution. We had forgot to pack our own pillows and had made the decision to buy new pillows when we checked in. The only good thing I can say is the sheets appeared to be clean but NEVER again will I sleep at the Viking. Thge pictures you see on this web site are nothing like what you get.

Stayed September 2007
michigan
Reviewed September 13, 2007

I have to say that what you see is not what you get. When we arrived at the hotel, a lady came up to us to inform us that there had been 3 break-ins that day. She also told us not to leave any valuables in the room due to housekeeping would help themselves. we checked in and the found out that the viking only has like 10 parking spaces, so you would have to park across the street. We opened our room door expecting to see what the brochure had, but found a runned down, smelly, dirty gross room that hadn't been cleaned very well. we immediately called the front desk and complained. We stayed 1 night there and they let us leave 3 days early. ( we went to the compass cove) The night we were there I found 2 cockroaches that you could have put leashes on and walked them around as pets.

Stayed September 2007