“Pleasantly Surprised upon arrival, Blessed upon departure!!!”

Viking Ocean Front Motel
Ranked #171 of 208 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Pleasantly Surprised upon arrival, Blessed upon departure!!!”
Reviewed August 19, 2013

We booked this room through Priceline and then read the reviews. After reading the reviews I was frightfully anxious about arriving... When we arrived it was very late but we were accommodated well. We stayed for 8 days. 7 on the first floor and then we decided to stay an additional dayon the third floor oceanfront. The first floor was very convenient to the pool for my children. I loved that the Viking provided chairs outside our door for us to sit in the breezeway. I would go out each morning and eat my breakfast there and greet the staff and neighboring guests. It was a great start to the day before our children awoke.Because we were right in front of the pool, yes, When guests did not respect the curfew we could hear them but one phone call to the office rectified that. Our room was very clean and well stocked with linens, paper and kitchen needs. We had a toaster, coffee maker, fridge and stove. The oceanfront room had a microwave :) Throughout the week we needed additional toilet paper and towels and they saw to it immediately that those needs were fulfilled. The staff was extremely friendly and the pool was very clean! The access to the beach was superb! We were so close and it was not a crowded beach.. We saw dolphins jumping and playing during three of our nights at the beach. The manager was easily accessible to discuss any guest problems and she rectified them immediately. This is not posh accommodations but they are very well for what we paid for. I understand that this is one of the first motels built and it is evident but it is not unsightly or unbearable; actually it was very homey and pleasant for us. Kitty was the delightful and attentive manager we dealt with and Kia was our favorite front desk employee and Jacqueline was our favorite housekeeper. All of the staff however, were very friendly. Being a female, alone with her children throughout the stay;I must say, I felt safe and comfortable there. The Motel is very close to the boardwalk and although the parking is limited at the Motel, the overflow parking across the street is very easy to access and we had no problems at all with it. I loved that they had laundry rooms and free ice; two unexpected pluses and the free parking is unheard of in this area. We enjoyed cheap breakfast prices at the Friendly's restaurant right up the road and the Roses store near Big Lots on 17 had the best prices for souvenirs and everything else! The staff helped us find those cost cutting gems :) We are actually looking forward to returning in October, Lord willing; and will stay at the Viking again! Shame on everyone who is exaggerating and terrifying potential guests to this place. Other guests could have made this very unpleasant for us with their lack of adherence to rules but we were responsible and called the office immediately and they ALWAYS took care of it promptly. Any room troubles were taken care of as soon as the staff were alerted. (we needed a battery for a beeping smoke detector and to request a television remote control...) If you do not want a family Motel or a dated decor you should look for a different price point. This is a good deal and a delightful place to stay. We had dear friends that paid thousands compared to us paying hundreds for the same dates but at more posh accommodations and their pools had algae and vomit in them and their beaches were crammed full of people plus they had to hike it to the beach and go through parking garages and such...They had to drive everywhere and we had the cleanest pool, the quickest beach access and the nightlife was in walking distance from our Motel. The lifeguard was so delightful at the beach too! The shower for our feet and such after the beach was located at the Viking Motel beach entrance and also right by the Motel's pool. Running back to our room for something was just a hop, skip and a jump away :) Without the Viking, we could not have afforded an 8 day vacation! We were blessed by this establishment and their staff and so blessed by it's easy access to the beach!!!! If your vacation is about the beach, book it here!

Room Tip: The oceanfront rooms have the best views and a microwave. If you are on the 1st floor try to avoid...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank przhim247
povmgmt, General Manager at Viking Ocean Front Motel, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to comment on tripadvisor. We appreciate any and all guest feedback. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. We would be happy to have you as a guest with us again in the future. If there is anything that you may need, please do not hesitate to contact us. We are here to assist you with your reservation needs. Have a wonderful day!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Archdale, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed August 18, 2013

vacation this year flopped mostly due to the motel. the beds were awful. the tags on the mattresses were dated 1994. the pool is too small for the amount of people there were no pots or pans in our kitchen. we stayed for 5 nights and did not receive any maid service for the last 3 nights. we had to pile our trash bags outside the room and the front desk was absolutely no help. we specifically rented a room with a kitchen so we would not have to eat out every night but could not cook due to the lack of pots and pans so we had to spend more than budget to eat during our stay as I said the front desk was no help. save yourself the headache and trouble avoid this motel at all cost..

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Angel H
Thank you for taking the time to comment on tripadvisor. We appreciate any and all guest feedback. I would like to apologize for any inconvenience that you may have experienced during your stay with us. We are an older property, and we do cater to an economy traveler offering the lowest rates we possibly can. I thank you for voicing your concerns and bringing these issues to our attention. I will make sure that your complaints are forwarded to the appropriate department heads for further review so that the issues can be taken care of. Thank you again for the valuable input. It truly is appreciated. I hope you have a wonderful day.

Travelers are raving about these Myrtle Beach hotels

Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed August 13, 2013

I was pleasantly surprised with this motel. After reading some of the reviews, I really gave it second thoughts, but upon arriving, I breathed a sigh of relief. It was definitely not the best motel I have ever stayed at, but it was adequate. I thought that it was a good deal for the price. The room was spacious and had a kitchen. The only other things that would have been useful would be a microwave and an iron and ironing board The room was clean and well supplied. The cleaning crew were very pleasant and friendly. The hotel lobby clerks were exceptional. If you are looking for pampering, this is not the motel, but if you just want a room while you travel to the beach, it does the trick.

Room Tip: Rooms can be a little noisy with the traffic on the street, but the noise from the swimming pool, wh...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank David S
Reviewed August 10, 2013

My first night staying in this roach flea bag motel, my car was vandalized and broken into. The parking is extremely limited so I had to park across the street. They did notify me that my car had been broken into but they have no cameras so they could not help me in any way. The rooms smell terrible and are disgusting and outdated. I wore socks the entire time because the floor looked filthy. You definitely get what you pay for with this stay. I will never stay here ever again it's disgusting, rundown, and unsafe.

• Stayed August 2013
Thank you for taking the time to comment on tripadvisor. We appreciate any and all guest feedback. I would like to apologize for any inconvenience that you may have experienced during your stay with us. I thank you for voicing your concerns and bringing these issues to our attention. I will make sure that your complaints are forwarded to the appropriate department heads for further review so that the issues can be taken care of. Thank you again for the valuable input. It truly is appreciated. I hope you have a wonderful day.
Fayetteville, North Carolina
Reviewed August 5, 2013

THIS PLACE IS DISGUSTING..... NEVER again will we stay here.. yeah the price is good but id rather spend a few more to stay somewhere else than this place.. place is a dump... room smelled like cat piss, bathroom door wouldnt shut all the way.. no coffee in the room, but there was a coffee pot...lol.... rude neighbors, kids running rampid w/o any parental supervision.. kids were smoking weed... pool was nasty.. place needs repainted too. we didnt even take our flip flops off the whole time in the room and shower... when u book a hotel for vacation u go to relax ect... not worry about ur feet getting a fungus or something from dirty floors or having to go out and buy air freshners for the room... late night shift desk people r rude too and security doesnt get there til 12am...lol. bed was ROCK HARD too.bring ur own sheets too if u plan to stay here..lol. also.. theres a lot of the GHETTOS that tend to stay here too!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to fill out an online comment on TripAdvisor. We appreciate any and all guest feedback. I would like to apologize for any inconvenience that you may have experienced during your recent stay with us. It is not typical for housekeeping to be lacking in the services that you have mentioned in your complaint, however errors are made and I’m sorry if anything was overlooked during your visit. I will make sure these issues and concerns are brought to the attention of our director of housekeeping for further review so they can be addressed with individual employees. I've also reported maintenace issues to The Maintenance Engineer. Thank you again for your valuable input. I hope you have a wonderful day.
Richmond, Kentucky, United States
Reviewed August 4, 2013

This place made us park across the streets cause one room had 6six parking spots and should of been one parking spot for room; also the ceiling was falling in on us..We could not go to sleep because over one bed the ceiling was leaking and all they said well get someone on it tomorrow..but we checked out the next day and the new person on the shift keep 20.oo dollars of our money..Also it had fleas all over the place and carpet was nasty as can be I would never ever stay here again inless they totally updated everything; such as housekeeping, linens, toilet paper supplies, pool, bedding, and SERVICE,,,,therefore run go some were else..

Room Tip: Don't stay here..
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to fill out an online comment on trip advisor. We appreciate any and all guest feedback. I would like to apologize for any inconvenience that you may have experienced during your recent stay with us. After reviewing our maintenance records I do not see where there are any prior reports of the issue you mentioned in the room you occupied. Maintenance issues are often unexpected and I’m sorry if this issue proved bothersome to you during your visit. Had we known about the issue prior I can assure you that we would have repaired it to a satisfactory level before your arrival. I do thank you for voicing your concerns, and for your valuable input. This issue will be forwarded to our director of maintenance to ensure it has been properly handled so that we don’t run into a reoccurring problem. I hope that you have a wonderful day.
Reviewed August 4, 2013

First let me start off by saying this, the rooms were not as cheap as people would say, I think that $139 a night was a bit high for this establishment plus there was no microwave in the room. But me and my wife drudge'd on thru the experience. Now for the review, the room was not clean at all, the headboards were very nasty hadn't been wiped down or cleaned in a while. Secondly, the bedspreads smelt like mildew I had to take them off the bed. Next, the security was null and void, there were children running around the motel, in and out the pool all night until at least 3 a.m. and with the adjoining room doors I didn't trust that at all due to the young teenagers running around. Finally, the window in the kitchen did not lock that is not very secure at all I did not sleep well with that one, being of military background I felt as if I was on guard duty to protect my wife and myself.

• Stayed August 2013
Thank you for taking the time to fill out an online comment on TripAdvisor. We appreciate any and all guest feedback. I would like to apologize for any inconvenience that you may have experienced during your recent stay with us. It is not typical for housekeeping to be lacking in the services that you have mentioned in your complaint, however errors are made and I’m sorry if anything was overlooked during your visit. I will make sure these issues and concerns are brought to the attention of our director of housekeeping for further review so they can be addressed with individual employees. Thank you again for your valuable input. I hope you have a wonderful day.