“One of the best”
Review of Sandy Beach Resort

Sandy Beach Resort
Ranked #30 of 207 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed February 12, 2010

I have been looking for weeks for a hotel that was luxury for a not so expensive price. I reserved a Angle king suite with a whirlpoor tub. It was awesome...the bed was comfortable with down comforters and the room had no windows which made the room pitch black and great for sleeping....the kitchen had everything you needed and the appliances was stainless steel. It had two flat screen tvs and a perfect view of the ocean....It was the newer tower, the workers were nice and welcoming. The hotel was close to everything the outlets, boardwalk and the mall...I loved it, it was relaxing and beautiful and I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,640)

Reviewed February 1, 2010

I recently stayed at Sandy Beach Resort and I have been vacationing here since 2005. I have been to Sandy Beach about 5 times over the past few years and my current dealings with management is unacceptable. I left several messages for management to contact me in reference to changing an existing reservation. I was able to get in contact the general manager after I made repeated calls requesting to speak to him. I was told that my change in reservation would require approval of another supervisor and that I would receive a return phone call that day or the following day. This took place five days ago and I never received a return phone call. I furthermore did not receive any response from the same person who was supposed to call me back after I left him an additional message three days ago. I was told by a reservation agent today when I asked for a refund that only the general manager can handle this matter and that he is not in today. I find it hard to believe that I can make a reservation online, submit payment, and receive a confirmation within minutes, but not get a return phone call or a refund as I recently requested. I intend to contact the Better Business Bureau to report this matter if Sandy Beach does not get in contact with me and/or does not refund my deposit. I feel present and future Sandy Beach customers and patrons should be aware of managements unprofessionalism. I intend to make every online hotel review service aware of this experience over the next couple of days to avoid the next customer from getting ripped off by Sandy Beach. I will gladly write a better review when and if my deposit is refunded.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank Sandy0878
Reviewed January 20, 2010

I stayed at Sandy Beach for a few days right after Christmas, for some solo time to relax. I stayed in the Palmetto tower (I think that was the name of the tower). That is the newest part of the hotel I believe. (The other tower is older I was told.) I had a side ocean view room 1005, with 1 bedroom, kitchen area, living area, jetted tub. It was pretty clean and new looking. The King bed was comfy, and warm. I like the decor of the room. The hotel itself was pretty nice. Right on the beach. The staff was very nice. No problems there. The problems for me are fixable and wouldnt prevent me from returning - there is road construction going on right in front of the hotel. So if your room is a side ocean view, you will hear construction on the weekdays until they are done with it. No fault of the hotel. I am happy I checked out on a Monday so I didnt have to hear it. Also, the parking is accross the street and it is not 'pretty' looking with all of the construction outside. They hotel doesnt have a restaurant. A restaurant on site would have been perfect. I just picked up a few groceries since the room had a kitchen. My other complaint would be the internet access. It is not wireless in the rooms. The room doesnt have an ethernet cable so if you dont bring your own, you have to get one from the front desk (if they have any available). Also, the only outlet for the internet is in the sitting area. None in the bedroom. (I like to sit on the bed and check email.) That was a downer. The pool area was clean and quiet - not huge, but it was alright for me. I didnt use the gym or the computer room, but they looked fine when I checked them out. Overall, I liked this hotel. When I come back to Myrtle Beach with my family, I will probably use this hotel again.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank tdatiger
Reviewed January 8, 2010

We stayed in the angle/ocean view twp bedroom palmetto and it was exactly how it looked in the pictures. The views are amazing.
Since we were there in March, the mid way was not open so I'm not sure how much noise that produces in the evening. I think the lights would be very pretty though.
The location is great. It's close to everything and there is a convenience store right across the street.
Tips about this hotel if you stay in it.
1. if you want to know the time, bring an alarm clock - they don't provide them in the rooms. At least not when we were there.
2. If you want to drink some vino from an actual wine glass, bring your own. They don't have them in the kitchen so we had to use plastic cups or regular drinking glasses.
3. We stayed on the 4th floor and the wireless internet did not work well, so make sure you have a cable to hook up.
4. The water pressure is not great in the bathrooms, but I find that with almost every hotel I stay at. I like a good shower.

This is a fantastic hotel to stay at and is very well priced. It's right on the beach, which is great. I'd put some pics up but they look the same as all the other ones.

ONE MORE THING!!! Make sure you book at the Palmetto tower. It's the new building. Some reviews that you may read on here that give this place a bad review are people who mistakenly stayed at the magnolia building, which is really old and out dated (ie. blue carpeting and old beds).

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank gigglegal
Reviewed December 8, 2009

Very nice resort, but it's horrible to have to stay up and have to hear loud and increasingloy drunken karaoke until 11pm when you were hoping to fall asleep to the sound of the ocean. At this price it's really not OK to have karaoke.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed November 20, 2009

We just returned from a 3-night stay at this resort. The first impression was good because of the super-friendly security guard who greeted us. We were 4 women traveling and it was after midnight when we arrived, so he moved his own vehicle so we could park there until the morning. There was also plenty of parking directly across the street.

We were scheduled to stay in the old tower, but because of a small cleaning issue in our room, we were immediately upgraded to the new tower without any problem. It was late and the gentleman at the desk was very kind. We stayed in a one-bedroom suite and it was very stylish, nice and clean; it looked brand new. Our ocean view from the balcony was gorgeous. The kitchen was great with new appliances and a stocked kitchen for cooking. It was nice having a washer and dryer also. The beds were so comfortable, including the Murphy bed (according to my sister).

We had questions the following day about some of the other rooms and the resort in general, and we were treated very friendly by Ken and Deb at the front desk. They gave us a lot of information and it was nice talking with them.

The pools were clean and the hot tubs were relaxing too. Sometimes I cannot get in a hot tub that is open to the public because they simply do not look clean....that was not the case here at all. They were clean and inviting.

We didn't need maid service so we just kept the "Do Not Disturb" sign on our door and asked for clean towels each day. The ladies on staff with housekeeping were very pleasant.

The 4 of us also liked the area....it seemed to be central to a lot of things we wanted to see. If you have a chance, visit Market Common.

Overall we had a wonderful stay and other than missing our families back home, didn't want to leave. One suggestion ~ if you can choose between the towers, try to stay in the new tower. All of us would stay there again. If the older rooms were a bit more upgraded, I would have given the resort a perfect score.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed November 17, 2009

My wife and I stayed in an Angle Oceanview King room in the Palmetto Tower. Found a Manager Special online for 55.00 per night on Sandy Beach Resort website. First weekend in November. Not very crowded this time of year. Pulled in to check in and was greeted by a very nice and helpful security gaurd. Stayed on the 18th floor (has 19 floors). Elevators very fast, with hardly any waiting, of course probably due to time of year. Our room was probably the nicest room we had ever stayed in at Myrtle beach, which we had visited at least a dozen times. My wife and I will continue to stay at Sandy Beach Resort when visiting Myrtle Beach.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple