“Great Hotel”
Review of Sandy Beach Resort

Sandy Beach Resort
Ranked #30 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed September 1, 2009

Great stay, hotel was very nice. Stayed in new part of hotel had 2 bedroom condo, very clean everything we needed was there. Kids pool could use a little TLC, some of the water jets in the pool did not work plus the seahorses they have had sprung leaks. Have same complaint as other guests that if you don't get up early in the morning to reserve a lounge chair you will not get one. Also not enough floats for the lazy river, only six available. Kid would take them into the toddler pool and into the larger pools, and there would be none in the river. Wi-Fi is also quite spotty, but you can plug in with an ethernet cable and not have too many problems. Check out gym very updated if you choose to work out while on vacation. Price could be a little cheaper, but not too bad for everything you get. Other than these minor issues, would stay again for sure.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,636)

Reviewed August 31, 2009

This place was beautiful. The rooms were clean and bright. The staff was kind. Cannot say enough good things about this resort.

Reviewed August 31, 2009

Stayed at Sandy Beach for four nights and five days. The room was cleand but wish that we were givin an option of the new part or the old. Would recommend to friends and family. Hubby loved it.

Reviewed August 29, 2009

Just came from this hotel. We stayed there 10 days. The unit was clean, all the included were there. Housekeeping come every day to change the towels et make the bed. You have to clean every thing else. They don't clean the bathroom. The change the sheets every 3 days. Situated just beside 2 amusement parks, it was a lot noisy. This place is ideal for a family. I would not recommand it for a couple.

Reviewed August 27, 2009

We stayed in the new section of the hotel. The room was nice. We learned the hard way there are not safes in the room. I called the front desk and told them NOONE to come into our room. We would get new towels from the front desk when we needed them. They came to clean our room everyday. Even after the front desk said noone would. The lazy river only had 6 floats in it. The outside showers 3 did not work. The one that did work we couldn't use. Each evening they decided around 4pm to pressure wash the deck area with people walking around and in the pools. Using a power pressure washer with two extension cords attached to it lying in the puddles of water on the deck. We called the front desk and they checked into it and called us back. Said nothing to worry about the plugins around the pool are GFV? I dont mind parking across the road or that the check in area is on the second floor in a small corner, but people coming into my room after I was told they would not, the lack of floats, no safe even though the website says they do have them (we called and they do in the old section only) and the extenstion cords around the pool area I can not deal with. Great location crappy hotel.

Reviewed August 26, 2009

We stayed at the Sandy Beach Resort from Aug 15-23rd 2009. The reception desk was great, the service was fast and efficient. The two bedroom condo that we had rented was set up very strangely. We had to enter a main door using our card key and then once inside, to the left was the master suite which was a separate hotel room, requiring a card key entry and the door on the right was a one bedroom condo , also requiring a card key to enter. The other room hada bedroom, bathroom, kitchen and living room. Our master suite had a fridge and a microwave in it They expected us to have one adult over the age of 25 in each room. Yeah right. We were on the 19th floor and the view was spectacular. We arrived late in the evening and like I said, the reception desk was fast and efficient. They were very helpful in giving us directions to restaurants, shops etc. Even printed stuff up for us. My biggest and actually only complaint was the lack of ammenities. We had picked this resort based on the reviews on trip advisor, and I know that a lot of people had the same complaint. The pool side lounge chairs. Seriously, they maybe had 50 chairs surrounding the 3 pools, lazy river, kids play pool and 2 hot tubs. People would get up in the middle of the night and put their towels on the chairs for the next day. I did not get a lounge chair the entire 8 days that we were there. I succumbed to renting the lounge chairs and umbrellas from the life guards on the beach at an astounding 100 dollars for 5 days. Unreal. I complained to the person at the front desk and was handed a piece of paper that apparently is given to all resort guests upon arrival which clearly states that you cannot save pool side chairs by placing a towel on them, and that the resort would not be held responsible if someone moved their towels. When I went to complain to the front desk, they told me to choose a chair that I would like to sit in, and remove the towel. Yeah right, I witnessed this exact thing the day before and the security guard had to be called in. No thanks, I was there to relax, not to cause any drama. So I managed to enjoy myself on the beach with frequent trips to the pool to cool off. We weren't allowed in the ocean for 2 days because of the hurricane and rip tides. Kind of made me a little upset as my whole vacation was based on relaxing by the pool, reading a good book and not having a care in the world. The other lacking ammenity was beach towels. This was the only resort that I have stayed at that didn't have beach towels, and naturally I didn't bring any, so one of the first things I had to do was run across the street and buy 4 beach towels at the low low price of 60 bucks. So far, my relaxation on the beach had cost me 160 dollars for the week. The resort itself is beautiful. The furniture is modern, there is a tv in each room and there was a washer and drier in the unit, which was great for us. The kitchen has all stainless steel appliances and is well stocked with everything that you need.to cook. My advice is to remember to bring beach towels, laundry soap, dishwasher soap and dish soap. Also salt, pepper and sugar if you are planning any meals in the condo. This was our first trip to Myrtle Beach and not sure that we would go back, not because of the resort, but because of the surroundings. Approz 50% of the stores were out of business and bare. The beach was constantly littered with cigarette butts, garbage etc. And if you have teenagers, there is not much for them to do. Most of the stuff is geared to younger kids ages 3-12. If you are a shopper, the Tanger outlet malls are great as well as the local mall. Best store there is called the Shoe Dept. and they sell name brand shoes extrememly cheap. We went to Charlston for the day and saw the USS Yorktown. My husband and son enjoyed this, my only suggestion is bring a picnic. Food there is sketchy to say the least, but the ship was amazing. So much history. Don't go if you are claustrophobic. Might go back sometime but the area itself would have to improve. I think once this recession is over, they will start to put more money back into the area and hopefully attract more tourists.

Reviewed August 25, 2009

We just returned from a 5 night stay at The Sandy Beach Resort- Had a great time! We stayed in a king oceanview room in the new part of the building. Room was nice, not as big as I thought it was going to be, but it was big enough. We did have one problem, but it was solved very fast... The AC stopped working in the first room we were in, and maintence was unable to fix it until the next day, so we had to switch rooms at midnight, but the hotel employees were very nice and helpful. My only complaints was the balcony was very tiny, the shower water pressure was very weak, and there was no lockbox in the room (they have them available behind the front desk). Overall, I really enjoyed it, the room was very nice.... The pools were great too, a little crowded, but that is to be expected with the time of year. We will return in the future!