“Great vacation”

Sandy Beach Resort
Ranked #28 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
“Great vacation”
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Would be 5 star. But called to have tv remote fixed and refrigerator fixed. Came put new batteries in remote still didn't work. Reset refrigerator worked fine replaced ice maker and still didn't work. But they did tell us was ice maker on 4th floor old building so we just got ice from there. Other them that couldn't ask for better place to stay. Wish they excepted pets so may after 10 years have to find different place to stay. Even though we saw people on elevator with dogs.

• Stayed September 2013
billfishmi, Public Relations Manager at Sandy Beach Resort, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Trudy,

Thank you for staying with us at Sandy Beach. We apologize about the remote and refrigerator issue that happened during your stay. However, we are very pleased that you found everything else enjoyable during your vacation at Sandy Beach Resort. We are sorry we do not allow pets and have noted what you mentioned to fix that issue. We hope that you will return to Sandy Beach Resort!

Sandy Beach

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (367)
Charlotte, NC
Reviewed September 21, 2013

Our favorite hotel in MB was booked so we thought that we would search for another hotel with the same kinds of amenities. Sandy Beach "seemed" comparable. Even though I checked the reviews on TripAdvisor, I should have been leery because everyone else was booked (and SB still had vacancies). Check-in was terrible: it was very crowded in the unloading/loading bay, it took a long time to get a cart for our luggage and there was no one to direct all the chaos. Hotel reps. were not very welcoming either and didn't even pretend to be glad that we were patronizing their hotel. As soon as we got to our room, opened the door and walked in we were greeted by the room's live-in tenant, a nasty roach just sitting on the wall saying hello. EWWWW! Needless to say, we backed up out the room and went downstairs because it was NO WAY that we were about to stay there. Since their policy is no refunds and I was not about to budge from that lobby (would've camped out there if we had to), they (unapologetically) offered us another suite in the "renovated" tower. After checking the room thoroughly for bugs (and not finding any or evidence of any), we brought our luggage in. On the surface, the suite appeared to be an improvement but it really wasn't all that great. The furniture, although modern, was chipped everywhere (clearly, it was not commercial grade). There were stains in the carpet (which we found out later, was so dirty it blackened the bottom of our kids' socks), there were dirty dishes in the cabinet/drawers (which can probably be attributed to the room's last occupant but housekeeping should check for these kinds of things). In the kitchen cabinets, there were scratched/rusty Teflon cooking pots and the dishes were so paper thin we were almost afraid to use them.There was so much dust (that we couldn't get up) behind the wall bed that our poor son coughed/sneezed until we moved him to the back room.The iron board rack was hanging on by one screw, the toilet bowl rocked, and there were broken tiles in the floor. It was obvious that housekeeping and maintenance were very lax in their duties.

To make it worse, those amenities that we were looking for, were really not that great either. Although the pool area was enclosed, there were a TOTAL of 6 tubes for the very small lazy river which was way too lazy. There was hardly any current so our kids tried walking it. Bad idea...the bottom of the pool was so rough that it rubbed some of the skin off the bottom of their feet. The hot tub's temp. needed to be adjusted...it was way too hot (felt like we were lobsters boiling).The chlorine smell in there was so obnoxious one day that we didn't even get in.

At the end of our short trip, we packed up (checked for any "passengers" in our luggage), got our car (from the uncovered/unsecured parking lot across the street...no deck) and hurriedly left. Usually we take a last dip in the pool and say "goodbye" to the ocean but we were ready to get home.

Would not stay here again. There are certain things that we have come to expect from 3 star hotels and this one let us down. BTW, when we got home, we unpacked our luggage outside and shook everything just to make sure...

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank more_trips2come
Thank you for your review and staying with us at Sandy Beach Resort. Luckily, unlike some other resorts, Sandy Beach has over 220 rooms which enables us to offer guests rooms up to a few days out. We are comparable to any of the best resorts in Myrtle Beach and offer clean, affordable rates as evidenced by our other reviewers. From time to time, we do have a guest that does not find their stay satisfactory. We apologize that you did not enjoy your time at Sandy Beach.

We would like to take a moment to let our guests know that we do offer some of cleanest, most affordable, well kept rooms in Myrtle Beach. Our staff is friendly, helpful, and is here to help you with any of your needs. We promise you we aim to please.

All of our guests love our large pool area and location right on the beach. Just take a look at what other guests had to say. We hope to see you soon!

SB
Winston Salem
Reviewed September 21, 2013

This is our second time staying at the Sandy Beach. Gorgeous balcony views, well maintained pool area and friendly staff makes this a definite favorite hotel. The only issue I have is the parkingis located across the road and is always full! An expanded parking area would be a welcome addition.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor for beautiful ocean views!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Krystal,

First, thank you for your review of Sandy Beach and also being our guest. We do offer a variety of clean rooms at a great value for all travelers. Thank you for mentioning the parking which is something that we will continue improving for our guests. We hope to see you again!

Thanks
SB
Johnson City, Tennessee
Reviewed September 21, 2013

My mother and I go to Myrtle Beach each Labor Day for 3-4 days. We usually stay in North Myrtle Beach but our "usual" hotel was totally booked so I went looking online for a new place to stay. I am pretty set in my ways and always like to know what to expect so, needless to say, I was a little nervous about staying somewhere different. I cannot tell you the sigh of relief I heaved when I checked into the Sandy Beach.

Upon arrival, we were greeted by the nicest security guard who directed us where to park, the location of the elevators, the lobby, etc. The people at the front desk were also very nice and there were no problems at all.

Our trip was only supposed to be 4 days but the longer I was there, the less I wanted to leave. It actually ended up being 8 days and started a running joke between us and the front desk staff. LOL!

Since our plans had changed, we had to change rooms twice-this was my fault for extending the trip and nothing the hotel did wrong. It was not a problem and actually helped me check out different rooms to pick a "favorite room" for our next trip. The staff was extremely gracious in finding us different rooms on a very busy holiday weekend.

We started in 411 which is a one bedroom suite in the Magnolia building (the "older" section). I am a little high maintenance and I thought this room was great. The way I see it is I am on vacation in Myrtle Beach and I am not hanging out in the room all day, so as long as the room is clean and relatively nice, I am happy. One great thing about the 4th floor is that the guest laundry, vending machines and fitness center are on this floor.
We then went to room 614 which is the same room type in the same building and, again, was perfectly fine for us.
Our last night was in room 1910, a one bedroom suite in the Palmetto ("newer") section. This room had a different set-up with the bedroom being a room in itself. The furnishings were the same as the "older" building but had a more modern feeling (remodeled/updated) kitchen and bathroom. This room had it's own washer/dryer combo. It's inside a closet so you may miss it at first. Also, in this section, the heat/air is a central unit so whatever the setting is in the living room, that is the temperature throughout the suite. I liked it better in the "older" section because there were two seperate thermostats so I could turn on the AC in just the bedroom if my mother was too cool and vice versa.

I really cannot speak on housekeeping because I am uncomfortable with anyone cleaning up after me so I always decline housekeeping services. ( I know, I am a little different. lol)

Yes, the parking is across the street but there is a cross-walk and it is located a few yards from a traffic light so it is not a problem crossing the street since people get caught at the red light and most people didn't mind stopping to let you cross even if the light was green.

Across the street from the hotel there is a little grocery store that carries bagged ice, water, sodas, beer, coolers, cigarettes, newspapers, laundry supplies, canned food, coffee creamer etc. Essentially a little convenience store.

There are 6 elevators-4 are near the front desk but there are 2 more on the other end of that area (where the lazy river is) that were never busy-I can't believe I just told my secret. You are welcome. LOL! The only catch with those elevators is that they only go the height of the "older" section so if you are above those floors, they won't really help you much.

The lazy river, hot tubs and pools were always clean when we were there. The showers between the ocean and the hotel all worked when we were there too.

I thought that the size of the balconies was fine so I don't understand other people saying they are too small. I mean, I guess if you are trying to fit 4 or 5 people out there you will have an issue but it is perfectly comfortable for 2 or 3 people.

The hotel is 100% nonsmoking so you have to go outside downstairs to smoke. I didn't have a problem with this. I like "people watching" so it was actually a little additional entertainment.

So, I guess to sum it all up, if you are super high maintenance go up the street to the Hampton Inn and spend $300 a night but if you want a clean, comfortable hotel with nice employees at a good rate, the Sandy Beach is your place.

I will definately be back!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank harrisbl1
Thanks so much for your review and staying with us over the holiday weekend. We are very happy that you chose to extend you stay with us at Sandy Beach and that everyone was helpful that you encountered during your stay. Sandy Beach is like you said non-smoking, we are oceanfront, have very clean rooms and most of all, provide a great value for our guests. We really appreciate your providing other guests such detailed insight into what Sandy Beach is and we could not agree with your more. We hope to see you again and thanks for making us your new favorite hotel!

Thanks,

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed September 20, 2013

First time visiting Myrtle Beach so I was unsure where to stay. Upon lots of research, I decided to stay at Sandy Beach Resort since it was near the Boardwalk which would be within walking distance to the many nearby restaurants and bars. All I can say about Sandy Beach Resort is that I can't wait to plan my next trip back! Super clean rooms, great price, helpful staff, several pools to chose from, easy beach access and free parking.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Crys0423
Crys0423,

We appreciate your business here at Sandy Beach. We are pleased that you had a good time. We agree that Sandy Beach is a great resort with cleans rooms, convenient location, free Wi-Fi and free parking! We hope you make us your destination again soon.

Thanks,

Sandy Beach Resort
Reviewed September 16, 2013

We stayed Sept 9th -13th. Impressed with how clean our room was and overall the hotel as a whole. There was always this amazing smell! Pool was always super clean - hot tub felt wonderful on the cool nights. The jacuzzi tub with the jets were to die for! Beautiful oceanfront rooms! (The higher the better:)) The 2nd ave pier had a nice view but that was about it - wasn't great fishing or crabbing...that was disappointing. But that has nothing to do with the hotel... Will def return!

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Agood87
billfishmi, Public Relations Manager at Sandy Beach Resort, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Agood87,

Thank you for staying with us and we appreciate the feedback. Yes, we agree our rooms are clean and always smell great. Luckily, we are located next to the Family Kingdom, the Waterslide, the 2nd Ave Pier, and the new Boardwalk is a just a minute or two away. We are glad you enjoyed yourself at Sandy Beach Resort!

See you again soon,

Jackson, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed September 16, 2013 via mobile

Ok just returned from our 6th annual trip to Wonderful Myrtle Beach.. 3 rd time stay at the Sandy Beach Resort! And again I must give the resort an Outstanding review! We arrived on Saturday the 2nd to a slightly congested loading area as expected. Although we had no problem getting in or out. I know I've said this in past reviews and I can't say it enough. If you have more then one adult upon arrival have one do the check in upstairs in lobby ( 2nd floor) while other adult unpacks car. It makes life a lot easier on yourselves. Leaving the car in the load area is fine while you make the journey up to your room.
This year we stayed on the 19th floor(top) in the Palmetto tower and the view was spectacular. The room was is perfect order when we arrived. Plenty of towels, and all the kitchen supplies we needed! And it smelled perfectly nice and clean! Kudos to the cleaning lady up there. I didn't catch her name but she always had a smile!

• Stayed August 2013
Rich,

We are glad that have made a THIRD visit to Sandy Beach Resort. We pride ourselves in repeat business and appreciate you returning time and time again to stay with us. Thanks for sharing your tips and we agree, the views from the 19th floor are great.

We hope we see you again soon!