“perfect for families”
Review of Sandy Beach Resort

Sandy Beach Resort
Ranked #31 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We just arrived home from staying at the Sandy Beach Resort Hotel, and I must say "it surpassed all expectations". From the accommodation, location, facility, staff, and environment, it was fabulous. I would highly recommend. We were traveling with 2 teenage children, who had a great time... this is the perfect location for any family holiday. Thank you Sandy Beach, for sure we will return. The facilities were very clean. Security was present without being obvious. Room was well equipped. Best part was location.. not too far north to be in the "thick" of the commercial stuff, and not to far south to have to drive very far.
If I had to identify 1 area of weakness, I would say... lounge chair saving. There was one lady, and several others, but 1 lady in particular, who was up and on the pool deck each morning to save between 12 and 16 lounge chairs. At no point did anyone stop her or question her, she just made up the "beds" and waited for her friends to get up and join her. This was frustrating to watch.. but that is only a minor irritant.... not a huge complaint.
I was able to look at accommodation options. We stayed in a 1 bedroom ocean front room which met our needs totally. I saw a 2 bedroom ocean front and a 3 bedroom ocean front, and they appeared to be equally lovely - just larger..
We will absolutely return...

Room Tip: Ocean front rooms are worth the value for view and waking up to the sound of the ocean. Despite si...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank robbkathy
Write a ReviewReviews (1,630)

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Let me start out with...My greatest vacations starts with great planning. Sandy Beach is the place to be if you what to enjoy Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. The place we stayed was the 16th floor and it's perfect. We can see the family kingdom carnival at night and it's a beautiful scene. We have a very clean room. With washer/dryer, microwave. large fridge and pot and pans. It's great to know that the hotel staff know exactly what a traveler needs. Thank you Sandy Beach for making my family vacation successful. I will definitely come back here every time I visit Myrtle Beach. Planning is everything. This hotel gets busy during the holidays so plan early if you want to have a great time in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina.

Room Tip: anywhere above the 10th floor is very quiet...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank bert1985
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Absolutely love this place for the kids, and us as well!

Rooms in Palmetto are beautiful. Full kitchen with granite counters and high end appliances. Large enough living area and the beds are wonderful to sleep on.

I realize the parking is across the street, but parking is across the street for most of the hotels, so we decided to select the most convenient and this was a great choice! Right near the 2nd avenue pier, so the view of the fireworks was fabulous!!! Short walk to all the arcades and other activities. Amusement park across the street. Convenient, but you cannot hear it from the room.

We found the staff friendly and helpful.

Would highly recommend this place. We will be back again and again!!!

Room Tip: Always request the Palmetto tower. Higher floors have amazing views!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank ConnecticutITravel
Reviewed July 2, 2013

I will start off with the positive (singular). The employees of the hotel were great! I needed a cooking utensil, they got it for me pronto. I needed info about the area restaurants and shopping, they were spot on. I called them on the phone about an expected package, they were great. In fact when it came in they called my cell phone immediately. I love good quality service.
Now to the bad stuff. We stayed in a 3 bedroom unit for over $3000 for the week. When you pay that kind of money, especially in a cheaper town like Myrtle Beach, you want a great room. Upon inspection of the room, we found hairs in the bathtub, a used toothpick in the drawer next to the bible, broken drywall spots, and spills in the fridge. Wifi was horrible as it only worked the first three days and that was with one bar and really slow. We discovered that we had bedbugs as we were packing up to leave and noticed the shed skin of one. I have the typical "in a line" bites from my chest to my back. I hear they are very common now, but it is disgusting in my book. The kiddie pool is freezing cold as someone decided to build it in the shade and the water never warms. The elevators (or lack thereof) are slow. There are three elevators that struggle mightily to keep up with prime times. The trick is to get the two by the pool if you are on the 11th floor or below. I would not pay this much in this particular town again for this hotel. Local riffraff hung out in front of the hotel on Friday and Saturday nights. According to the security guard, this isn't allowed in Myrtle Beach as he told us (nine adults and 12 children waiting for one more adult to return from the room) we couldn't stand there. However when the "scarier" looking folks did it, security was nowhere to be found.

Room Tip: Oceanfront is always nice.
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Let me start by saying that this is the oddest post I've ever made to Tripadvisor. My family and I are currently booked at the Sandy Beach Resort this week, Friday, June 28th until Friday, July 6th in a one bedroom ocean view suite on the 14th floor of the building. We have four in our party: 2 adults, a 16 year old and a 9 year old. We drove to Myrtle Beach (MB) from New York. Our family is accustomed to traveling using car, plane or ship. We have stayed at various types of accommodations. Unfortunately, the weather has not cooperated so far since the first day we arrived in MB. The local news stated that out of the past 30 days 22 have rained. The locals we've spoken to say its been unseasonably wet. Hey, what can you do? In most cases, especially in ours (since we travel as a family quite a bit), rain just means more time indoors: you take in a movie, visit some of the indoor local spots, or simply just rest/relax/nap in your room. We've been able to do all these in MB, except for easily sleeping at the Sandy Beach Resort. There is a serious noise problem, seemingly associated with the construction of this building, or so we are being told. There is a cycling mechanical sounding vibrating/grinding noise in the Sandy Beach Resort building that started the 2nd day we got here. At times the noise is bearable, but at others the noise is loud and the walls and floors of the whole suite actually vibrate. I first noticed the noise last night. It woke me from sleep 3 times (it was so loud, at one point I actually checked outside thinking it was due to some type of bad storm - it was not even raining, but it was windy). Today, during the earlier part of the day, the noise was less, but still there. We decided to place a call to the front desk explaining the noise. We were told that a maintenance person would be sent to our room. Several hours went by, no one from the staff had shown up, the noise got louder and the walls and floor of the room began to vibrate, so we called again. This time we were told that the noise and vibration were normal for the Sandy Beach building as it occurs during periods of high wind. We were told that it was due in part to the building having to be built to withstand hurricane force winds. Tonight the weather is again bad. We returned to our room, and now it sounds like we are adjacent to a landing strip. The walls and floor are actually vibrating as the noise cycles. My youngest could not fall asleep due to the noise. We spoke to the front desk again to try to at least switch to a room on a lower floor, hoping that the loud sound and vibrations would be lesser on a lower floor. We were told by the front desk that they were getting calls from guests throughout the building with similar complaints and that the noise could even be heard at the front desk. We again inquired whether we could be switched to a lower floor, perhaps the problem would be less severe on a lower floor (our room was on the 14th). We were told no, sorry we are all booked up in every category room, with the exception of 1 day here and there for the rooms. Being that we've travelled such a long way, it's 4th of July week and everything is booked in MB, and we already paid in full, we've got no choice other than to stay. My husband quipped that we should try a temporary fix: the whole family is going to try to sleep with headphones listening to meditative music. Given that MB is prone to rainy weather during the summers, we are greatly surprised that we could not find anyone else commenting about this odd noise phenomenon at Sandy Beach. Let me say the Sandy Beach Resort is nice resort. The rooms are updated, nice and clean enough. The pools are clean and heated. The view from our room is great. We have found the staff to be friendly and polite. The gym is serviceable. This aside, I simply cannot give this hotel a good rating if you cannot get a decent nights sleep during inclement weather. Management must be aware of this problem. I believe a potential paying customer should know about this too. I am hoping that we don't come away from our one week vacation not having a decent nights sleep. At least those of you who plan on coming here have been warned. I'd only recommend the Sandy Beach if you can guarantee yourself good weather. If you figure out a way to do that, let the rest of us vacationers know how you did it.

5  Thank Ada F
Reviewed June 30, 2013

We stayed at the Magnolia side. My only complaint is that the floorplan on their site of the standard room/Magnolia room is not accurate. The floor plan shows you entering the room in an area that is a separate from the bedroom. THIS IS NOT THE CASE. You will be entering the bedroom. I am a runner and get up early to run. This was not very convenient for my sleeping family at 6am. Had I known this, and had the room had an accurate picture, then I would have booked another room.
On the positive side, there are a lot of places to walk to close to this hotel. It is very close to the boardwalk, which has some nice shops and restaurants to visit. (The boardwalk is also a nice place to run).
The staff was always attentive and delivered towels to us quickly when requested. I also found the pool to be clean.

Room Tip: The rooms might not be actually be the correct floor plan that is posted on their site. We found t...
2  Thank Susan B
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Me and my family stayed in the new part of the hotel..the only positive I have to say is the room was clean and updated. The pools were terribly over crowded with people that acted like animals. People were eating food inside the pool.. Kids were purposely peeing by the pool on the concrete floor..kids in the lazy river were acting like they never saw a pool before. The security told us not to walk to boardwalk at night because of the crime.. Saw someone get arrested at beach at hotel in daylight. A line if people were getting arrested at beach at night. Someone pooped in the urinal in the men's bathroom in the lobby of hotel...the smell was terrible!!!every night we went else where away from the hotel as far as we could get!!! Never again!!!! Beware!!!!

• Stayed: June 2013