“Sandy Beach Resort”

Ranked #25 of 208 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Chesapeake, OH
“Sandy Beach Resort”
Reviewed June 7, 2013

First of all you should know this resort is part old part newer. The newer side was where we stayed. Those rooms are called "Palmetto" rooms. We reserved a one bedroom with a pull down in the living area. The kitchen was stocked enough for four people but is a mini in size. It did have a full size refrigerator and stove with a half-size dishwasher. It had granite counters and a high-end faucet. The bathroom had granite counters and a whirlpool. The shower head was HORRIBLE. It barely trickled and was hard to rinse thick hair with. The room was in decent shape but needed a bit of TLC where paint was concerned. Housekeeping staff were nice and provided whatever was needed. Checking in was simple and desk clerk was very nice. We did not use the pool area. It was filled with kids that were mostly unsupervised. We stayed on the beach which had close easy access. The resort supplies towels, dish towels, dish detergent and dishwasher tabs. There was a general store across the street that had reasonable prices. The resort is located about six blocks from the strand and is right next to the amusement and water parks.

Room Tip: Choose the Palmetto room is possible.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (348)
Dennison, Ohio
Reviewed June 7, 2013

We have stayed at Sandy Beach a number of times. The hotel is clean and well maintained. Just read my previous reviews. This year we checked in and that night were chased off of our beautiful ocean front balcony by the people in the room next door smoking. This IS a no smoking hotel. This was reported. As a matter of fact, it was reported every single day to 2 to 3 people, but some how nobody could catch them smoking. It was so bad, when you reached the corridor to their room it smelled of smoke terribly. The one night as I was relaxing on my balcony, they came out to smoke. I went to the front desk and was explaining to the girl the situation, and she said to me " if you want me to catch them smoking, then you need to quit talking" No kidding.
We love the Sandy Beach resort. We are still looking to see if anything else comes close. If we find something, we will probably try it just due to the lack of staff involvement in my problem.
If you do stay, and you are a non smoker, I would ask not to be put in room 209. It was chained smoked in for a week and has to smell like an ashtray!

Room Tip: Any room but 209 on the Palmetto side
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
South Carolina
Reviewed June 5, 2013 via mobile

Went to Myrtle Beach for another deep sea fishing trip for my birthday. We checked in without a problem buy was lucky enough to be able to change our room type. The desk clerks were efficient as usual. This is the first place I look at when considering my beach trips. I am in the process of scheduling one as we speak. You cannot go wrong here.

1 Thank scsuperman
RuckOU
Reviewed June 2, 2013

First off, excellent property! The room was in great shape and clean, the beds were comfortable and the sheets/comforter weren't the normal stale hotel bedding, and the washer/dryer in the room was a life saver. The hotel has 5 elevators, so there were no long waits, despite the fact that the hotel was pretty busy the entire duration of our stay. The fitness center is small, but it gets the job done and has a couple of good treadmills and several weight machines. No food/drinks sold on the premises, but there is a nice little bar/grill next to it called Mcadoo's that has an awesome atmosphere.

The only problem we had was cell phone service and WiFi access. In our rooms, there were few spots where any of us could get a signal. We had to resort to hanging out over the balcony or going out in the hallways to make any phone calls. After speaking with some people on our floor who had Verizon, it appears that AT&T customers are the only ones affected by the lack of service. Additionally, the WiFi was terrible. Very sporadic and painfully slow when it would connect. This place still gets a 4/5 because I don't have to be connected to my phone/computer 24/7, but it was a pain in the butt when work was trying to get in contact with me.

Overall, excellent stay. The great rooms and views and prices far outweigh the cons of technology.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Blacksburg, Virginia
Reviewed June 1, 2013

Checking into this hotel is a nightmare recieved an email 2 weeks before our stay saying there would be no checking in before 4pm so when we arrived it was a total madhouse there is no parking they have 15 minute parking to unload luggage I ended up getting a parking spot at a meter to unload. Our room was clean but dated nothing like the pictures. Our bathroom tub faucet was broken the shower worked ok but it took over a half hour to fill the jacuzzi tub. I had no WiFi service the entire stay except for about 15 min while at the pool one day might have been picking up neighbor hotel. When I called for tech support they told me they were aware of problem and were working on it FOR FOUR DAYS. The lazy river was over run by little kids not even on the floats had to get to pool by 9 or you had a hard time finding a chair. Bottom line will not return will go to a smaller hotel next year. Just to let you know there is a major difference between the Magnolia and Palmetto I would recommend the Palmetto.

2 Thank Jason A
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed May 30, 2013

My title says it all. I stayed at Sandy Beach when the bike week was over, May 27th-30th, in an oceanfront palmetto suite. The rate was cheap being as it's may and the beginning of the week, around $112/night, can't beat that! The room was in pristine condition, which is why I'm giving this 3 out of 5 instead of 2 out of 5.

The first floor we were assigned was the 14th. Not long after we unpacked our stuff, the smell of marijuana came through our balcony into our room. The smell out on the balcony was too much to handle, it was so strong. It seemed that our neighbors wanted to vacation a little differently than we planned, and they were also loud and obnoxious. Not sure if they were left over from the memorial day bike week, or they were just on "senior week." Needless to say we got our room changed to floor 11, and the hotel staff said they paged security but we went back up there, security came out of the elevator and went into the maintenance room...also those kids came down to the beach shortly thereafter, so we doubt anything more than a word was said, despite that the hotel is NO SMOKING.

This new room was still in pristine condition, but we could still smell a faint marijuana smell from time to time as people to balconies to the right were smoking. We decided to stay in this room anyway as at this point we figured we cannot escape it..

The first night we were awoken by people screaming at the top of their lungs for about 5 minutes around 3am. The second night we were awoken by a telephone call to our room that hung up when I answered, same time, around 3am. The third night was the worst. Around 2:30am, we were awoken for what sounded like a large group fighting and yelling, around a dozen or more people in the hallway. I could hear skin slapping as if someone was getting hit. Lots of thumps and bangs, and yelling. This went on for about 10 minutes until security, or a random bystander, stopped them.

I didn't get good sleep a single night I was there, so for sleep quality, it was horrible. Also the bed is on the wall of the hallway, so that doesn't help.

The staff was average at best, didn't apologize too much for the inconvenience and didn't assure us anything would be taking care of. If you have anything like this happen while staying here again I would recommend calling the police, because those sounds I heard would scare families, for sure. I was waiting for a round or two to pop off.

The only thing that saves this rating is the value, cleanliness and location. There is a general store across the street, no food in hotel.

Tip: the elevators were sporadic. Hold down the door close and floor number to skip floors, to get to your room or the lobby fast ;)

Room Tip: Don't stay here in or around bike week, spring break, or senior week. Stay June-August, the high...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jdub333
Reviewed May 30, 2013

My family and I recently stayed at the Sandy Beach Resort on our vacation. This was our third stay here and once again we loved it. Sandy Beach is a wonderful place to stay. The room was really clean,
And the staff was great. We love the location because it is right across from the family kingdom park and close to everything. We love that they offer two outdoor pools, an indoor pool, a lazy river, a kiddie pool and 3 hot tubs. We had a great time and will be staying here once again hopefully when we come back next year. I highly recommend the Sandy Beach Resort especially if you have children!