“A Pleasant Stay”

Ranked #28 of 208 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Stephens City, VA
“A Pleasant Stay”
Reviewed July 8, 2005

After reading the negatives written here recently, I feel compelled to write a review of my own. I made last minute reservations for the Caribbean a week before arrival. Our stay was from July 2 thru July7, 2005. This is probably their absolute busiest week, and I was thrilled to get a room with literally no notice for this time of the year.

We stayed here in 2004 which was our first visit, and I wanted to stay a little closer to the action of the Pavillion this year, but hindsight being 20/20, I was more than satisfied with the decision to stay at the Caribbean.

The room was an Executive suite which has 2 double beds in the front room, a galley style kitchen, with newer microwave, an electric range, and larger refrigerator, and then the back room has a double size Murphy bed in the wall, and a single sized sofabed. So the room is designed to sleep 7 people (or 14, if you stack them one on top of another), but that story is for another day!

These executive suites rooms are apparently located in their high rise, which is 14 stories high. We got a room on the top floor. Personally, I found this to be a drawback because there were 6 of us; 4 kids, ages 13, 7, 2 and newborn and then my wife and me. There are 3 elevators for this building, and they are not the fastest, but the waits were not too bad, provided some of the kids there weren't pushing all the buttons so that they would stop on every floor.

They also offer the standard hotel rooms in another part of the building, and then across the street from the main comples, they have rooms that are considered "budget oriented" and they also have a very nice complex that house the 2 and 3 bedroom condos that they offer. While I did not see the interior of these rooms, the condo complex looked new, clean and very appealing.

Considering the 4'th of July weekend, the pools were not overly crowded, nor was the pool deck. The beach was crowded on the 4'th, but the following days we stayed there, the place really emptied out. They have a wading pool and some water activities for little children (my daughter called it playing in the rain), and they have a large pool with deep end, and a lazy river. The rafts for the lazy river are supposed to remain there and are not to be taken into the big pool, but some did it, and there was no enforcement of this rule. Also, someone told my son that while in the lazy river, he was supposed to be on a raft. He wasn't at the time, and many others used it without rafts. Again, limited enforcement it seemed. There is also an indoor pool. This pool is not treated with chlorine, but with a saline solution, if that floats your boat. We never used the indoor pool since the weather was great.

I found the staff to be friendly. I had asked the housekeeper for some extra bath towels and she supplied me with more than enough. Of course, a couple bucks go a long way. I have found that even a nominal tip goes a long way since I believe that most people do not tip the housekeeper.

They have a Tiki bar and a snack bar near the pools at rather reasonale prices. They also have a "Summer Snow" vendor next to the pool that the kids enjoyed.

Our room was clean and looked like it had been updated recently. I look at things like plumbing fixtures to tell me whether or not they are used and abused. Our room was fairly new in this department.

I really have only 3 complaints about the Caribbean, and 2 of them are subjective.

1) We ended up on the top floor. Some may like that. I didn't.

2) The elevators are not air conditioned and were very wet during the day from guests dripping in them after leaving the pool or beach.

3) Parking. Parking is available in a garage (4 or 5 stories) across the street. The bottom floor is SUPPOSED to be for high profile vehicles and is posted as such. However, it is not enforced. We have an 8 foot van, and if there was no space available, we were forced to park in their overflow lot, which is right next door, but still across the street. Some of the vehicles occupying the van spaces looked abandoned, as folks were writing stuff in the thick dust that accumulated on them. They also did not have a parking pass as is supposed to be visible on the rear view mirror.

For me, the parking issue is that when I parked in the garage, the van stayed cool, which was good for the kids whenever we went somewhere. But when many of the vehicles should have been parked elsewhere, and took the high profile spaces, well, it just added a minor inconvenience to us. Space was available elsewhere in the garage since the roof level was rarely filled. Had I fit, I may have parked up there, but the clearance is only 7 foot 4 inches for above the first floor.

Finally, we did walk down the beach and saw some of the places that I considered staying at. Some were in shambles. The Yachtsman is undergoing major beach work and the beach isn't even available to those guests.

There is hustle and bustle near the pavillion, but with it goes riff-raff and other problems that you won't find near the Caribbean, which is a good mile to mile and a half walk down the beach to Pier 14. We walked it, including the younger kids, but I decided to catch a cab back since it was late, and the little feet weren't going to make it. FYI, Cabs don't run on Ocean Blvd, but if you call for one, tell them to pick you up at Withers Alley and your cross street. I got that tidbit from one of the cops when looking for a cab. I found the area near Pier 14 and the pavillion to be generally dirty and smelled of garbage. Not nearly as bad as Atlantic City.

Staying at the Caribbean was a good pick for us. Free coffee & tea in the lobby 24 hours a day too. And a Dunkin Donuts is only a one block walk. Would we stay there again? Absolutely!

• Stayed July 2005
18 Thank Wojo88

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (765)
Reviewed July 8, 2005

Just got back from the Caribbean Resort. Had a great time. The staff was great & very helpful. It was very busy at the hotel but everyone was really nice and cheerful.

• Stayed June 2005
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 5, 2005

If you like luxury resorts, don't stay here. It is falling apart and dirty. We were miserable. I wished I had reserved a room at the the Marriott or the Embassey Suites.

• Stayed July 2005
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 5, 2005

The management at this resort has a lot to be desired. My family and I will never stay at this resort again because of what happened to us. We were enjoying the pool when a member of management walks up to us and informs us that the beach bag that we brought from home was reported stolen by other guests. Without investigating was was going on, the managment called the police and I, my wife, and my 6 yr old were questioned by them. The police found no basis for the other guests claim. My family went through embarassment and humilation, and my 6 yr old was traumatized by the event. I filed a complaint with management and they ignored it, not even an apology for what they did. Be careful, because the same thing can happen to you. There are much better run places to stay in Myrtle Beach.

Stayed June 2005
13 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 4, 2005

We just returned from the Myrtle Beach we loved it! Checking in was easy no problems. There were 3 of us my husband, 16 year old daughter and myself. We stayed from june 24 untill july 1 the first 2 nights we stayed in a suite it was very nice and even the carpet was clean we stayed in room 1224 i did not like the 12th floor but the room was nice.
WE the moved to room 310 in the older building the room was clean and nice but the suites are nicer. Every morning like clockwork everyone was cleaning and the placed seemed to be well maintained. If I had any complaints it would be that they dont have enough lawn chairs by the pools and even if you go down early and put your towels on the chairs some rude person will move your stuff and get your chair. The older building is worn and talking to some workers we learned they are going to tear it down next year to build a new highrise 20 stories. Also they have purchased the Jamaican and will tear it down in 2 years to build a high rise
Checking out was easy also we enjoyed are stay and would go back. My 16 year old daughter was a little disappointed that we were not in the middle of the action and all the teenagers were closer to the pavilion but it is a great family place.

• Stayed June 2005
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 30, 2005

I had stayed the Caribbean 3 times prevously and the wear was really starting to show last year. This year I never made it out of the lobby. I had paid for the room and was then ushered over to the hospitality table. I told the lady that I was not interested in any of the things that they had to offer (had been there done that) and their response offended me so much that I had my money refunded and went elsewhere. There are nicer places to stay in Myrtle Beach. But at any rate, if you stay here, steer clear of the hospitality table. I have never had my final bill be the same as I was quoted. They use different math when they get you there. Elevators are a problem. For the money, there are nicer places to stay.

Stayed June 2005
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 27, 2005

I booked this hotel based solely on reviews read on trip advisor, so thanks to those who took the time to do it, you were RIGHT!
This was a great hotel, perfect for families and anyone. Easy to get to, great parking deck right across the street, quick check in.
We had a 4th floor room in main building, room was VERY spacious, kitchen was well equipped - dishes, pots pans etc, full working kitchen. The living room area had fold out couch, murphy bed, table and chairs. Oceanfront room.
Good size pool, good size lazy river, plenty of tubes, great kids area with sprinklers etc.
Snack bar at pool where you can charge to your room, very friendly front desk staff.
Also, really important - it was VERY clean. We even had a smoking room, and you would never have known it. The bedding was nice, looked fresh.
Location was great, at the North end of Myrtle Beach, away from the hustle and bustle of the strip, but enough things to walk to.

I can't say enough good things about this hotel, highly recommend it.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member