“Not what I expected”

Hampton Inn & Suites Myrtle Beach/Oceanfront
Ranked #6 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed August 8, 2006

We just returned from a three night four day stay at Hampton Inn. We had a beach front room. I was a little disappointed when we checked in. By all the great reviews I read I guess I was expecting more. After I got over the initial shock I found Hampton to be fine. The lobby windows had finger prints all over it and the wood floor was dirty. The elevators had a strong mildew smell (Probably from all the traffic from the beach) The reviews I read said this hotel was "immaculate". Our room was nice and clean, but by the time I arrived there I was so disappointed in what I had seen outside my room it took me a while to realize this. All I could see was the dust all over the TV. Which really was not a big deal since the rest of the room was clean. I have pretty high standards so someone else may not have been bothered by this. Over all our stay was very nice. I would not say the hotel was "immaculate", but over all it was clean. Expect the rooms to be small and the closet in the room unusable because it is hard to open it with the bed in front of it. The deck is small, but the rocking chairs are nice. The beds in the room were comfortable. I found the beach to be crowded, but then again I am used to a less populated area when I go to the beach. We also stayed at Hampton Inn Downtown Columbia, SC. There is no comparison between these two hotels. Columbia's Hampton was top notch. Over all the Hampton in Myrtle was nice, just not what I expected. Don't go in with high hopes of getting a four star hotel and you will not be disappointed. I think in the future we would stay in North Myrtle or Hilton Head. (that is where we usually go but choose Hampton Inn, Mrytle Beach because of the reviews).

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
8  Thank seagoer2
There are newer reviews for Hampton Inn & Suites Myrtle Beach/Oceanfront

Reviewed August 3, 2006

All of the wonderful reviews on this website made me choose this hotel, and they were right! Rooms were clean, decorated well and had great views of the beach. Lobby/eating area was really nice. Be sure to arrive early for breakfast, it goes fast but is definitely worth it. (Hot biscuits, gravy, cinnamon/raisin biscuits, eggs one day, bagel w/eggs,bacon&cheese another day, plus all the other continental breakfast fare). I thought the beach chair/umbrella rentals were expensive and didn't really look that comfortable, so we bought our own (they are $30 the first day, then $15 every day after). I didn't think this hotel was in the best area, all the hotels around it look pretty shabby, but overall it didn't matter since it really is a great hotel itself. We drove north along the main road there and the only other hotels that might be worth checking out were Camelot and Breakers. If I was going back though I would definitely stay at the Hampton Inn again!

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with friends
7  Thank EmilyLovesVacation
Reviewed July 24, 2006

My husband and I stayed at the Hampton Inn Oceanfront during the third week of July 2006 with our three kids (ages 16 months to 8 years). The hotel is about 4-5 blocks from the smaller of the two amusement parks, which was great because the larger park (Pavillion, which is in its last seacon of operation in Myrtle Bch) requires a pricy admission per person to enter. The smaller park has great rides, and you only need to purchase ride tickets (40 tix for @$25, however, each ride requires 2-4 tix). Parking is ample at the hotel (deck with about 3 floors). Check-in was fast and simple, however, we waited forever for one of the hotels only two elevators, which never failed to stop at every floor during our entire trip. The room was very modern and well-appointed with white linens and fluffy duvets (we were on the 11th floor). We had a double room, which I found to be rather small, given the $209/nightly rate. The kids enjoyed the cable tv, which included all of their favorite kids channels (Disney, Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network, etc.). If you get a double, forget about using the closet. It's so close to the second bed that you won't want to bother sqeezing by the wall to reach it. The bathroom was clean, although ours was in need of a little caulking around the tub. The sink could have used a good scrubbing under the overflow rim. Also, there was no exhaust in the bathroom, so everytime someone took a shower, the steam activated the smoke alarm unless the bathroom door was closed tightly. The view from the balcony was fabulous. We enjoyed the two rocking chairs. The hotel offers free breakfast daily from 6 am until 10 am. If you are an Early Bird, it's best to go before 9 am. We missed out the first day because the hotel labels the breakfast as a "Continental Breakfast". We discovered the next day that the breakfast included much more than what we expected - smoked ham, sausage, omlets, biscuits, muffins/breads, jellies/jams, cereal, pastries, fruit, coffee, tea, milk, juices. Cookies are served daily at 4 pm; get there before 5pm to enjoy those. Fruit is out all day, and there is an icecream bar. My kids enjoyed the 2 pools, lazy river. My 16 month old had a ball in the kiddie pool that has a zero end and two little jets (really nice pool in a covered area so that you don't have to worry about too much sun on your little on ; one of the large pools is also in the covered porch area). The hot tub was large enough to hold about 12 people. There is a swing set/slide on the property near the lazy river. There is an exercise room on the second floor, but if you are like my husband looking for free weights, don't bother - there is only a stairmaster and a treadmill. The staff is very friendly and overall, we really enjoyed our stay. The only drawback is that the hotel may be a little overpriced at $209-219/night for the size of the room. We had relatives staying just a few hotels down at the Tropical Winds Oceanfront Resort ( newly renovated @ 705 S. Ocean), who enjoyed 2-room suites w/kitchens for only $149/night. I would definitely stay at the Hampton Inn again and I recommend it to others, but I think I will search for some discounted rates for future vacations on some of the travel sites instead of booking directly through the hotel itself.

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled with family
11  Thank PleaseTakeMe2
Reviewed July 22, 2006

We stayed at the Hampton Inn the week of July 8th and had a wonderful stay. We arrived after spending one night in a horrible "resort" down the street and were graciously greeted and they even provided us a room before the check-in time. We were extremely pleased with the accomodating staff and were even more thrilled when we got to our oceanview room that it was everything we had paid for. The bed was extremely comfortable and the rest of the room was really clean and well-taken care of.

The location is great and they even have a parking garage on the same side of the street as the hotel. We were always able to find a parking space no matter what time we arrived back. The pools were very clean and we were always able to find a lounge chair on the pooldeck. I also really liked the location of this hotel, it wasn't too close to the Pavillion; it seemed like that area was always really crowded so it was nice to go back to the quiet surroundings of our hotel. The breakfast in the mornings was really good compared to what some hotels consider a continental breakfast. They were still bringing food out a half an hour before it was over so that everyone had enough to eat.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to Myrtle Beach; there were plently of families, couples, large groups, etc. so it's not geared towards one certain type of traveler. The cleanliness and the staff are what impressed me the most and we will definitely be staying here again if we ever come back down to Myrtle Beach!

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Luboo
Reviewed July 21, 2006

Stayed at this hotel July 15-19. A few comments on the previous review...yes the hotel is in a fairly high traffic area...duh!...it's Myrtle Beach in summer...everywhere is a high traffic area. If you have a major issue with summer traffic, I would suggest you consider staying in the Canadian Rockies next summer.(Insiders Tip--Oak Street parallels Business Rt. 15 for most of Myrtle Beach and is a much easier way of moving around.) Second, the downtown area is not "full of tatooed motorcyclists and drunken teenagers" but I'm sure I could find one to kick your ass for having such a "I'm better than you" attitude. Tourists do walk around all night in the center of Myrtle Beach but they are generally well behaved and are not the menace to society you apparently think they are. The hotel is absolutely worth it's No. 1 ranking, looked great, and was very clean. Housekeeping was excellent and I could always find a place to park in the attached parking deck. The elevators are slow but there's a lot of people using them so...patience is a virtue or USE THE STAIRS...just quit bitching about the elevators. The breakfast buffet is outstanding and the best of any Hampton Inn I have stayed in..and I've stayed in a lot of them. The pools are on the small size but I never saw more than five or six people in them at any one time so I think it's a moot point. The pools are clean and contrary to the last review...the area around them was well kept. By the way, the pool area has a hammock in addition to the usual poolside furniture. Have fun using it...it's way cool. Stay here...you're gonna like it:)

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple
6  Thank laotzutj
Reviewed July 6, 2006

This hotel almost lived up to the previous stellar reviews by other travelers--but we had three problems. First, they didn't clean our room the first night of our stay and by the time we came back to the room, all the housekeeping crew had left. They dropped off some towels and we had to stay in a messy room. Second, the hairdryer continued to short out and was not usable. We called maintenance and they came to fix it -but it broke again. Third the pool area was a mess. They never straightened the lounge chairs-they were all over, and while the pools were clean, the pool area itself was quite cluttery. All that said, the hotel was clean, the breakfast great for a Hampton Inn (hot eggs and sausages along with fruit, yogert, juices and an assortment of breads and pastries). But the real problem was the location of this hotel. Downtown Myrtle Beach is full of tatooed motorcyclers and lots of young kids walking around getting drunk. The traffic to get out of the area was unbearable. The hotel would be great if it were only in North Myrtle Beach. It is a shame-an oasis in the center of pretty shabby cheap hotels.

• Stayed: July 2006
15  Thank BKennedy45
Reviewed July 5, 2006

Although I prefer accommodations located on the Northern end of Myrtle Beach and this hotel is located South, it is a quality hotel. Immaculately clean and the room we were given had a great view of the beach (oceanfront) on the 14th (really 13th) floor. The balcony had a rocking wicker loveseat which was a nice touch. They are currently advertising the new Hampton Bed and it is very, very comfortable. I slept better while at the hotel than I do at home. And I didn't even have to nudge my husband in the middle of the night to make him stop snoring. I think we need to purchase this bed!!! The staff was very friendly. There was ample parking in the parking deck. Occasionally there was a clog on the elevator and a long wait (well, we were on the 14th floor) but not anything major. This room had a microwave and small refrigerator which was a plus. Now if we could just move the hotel up the beach a ways.............

• Stayed: July 2006