“Great Suites”

Ranked #6 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Great Suites”
Reviewed January 13, 2008

I've stayed at this hotel three times, each time booking a two-bedroom, two-bathroom suite. The suites are great and reasonably priced. They have a balcony off the living room area and another slider to look out on the ocean from the master bedroom. The mini-kitchen and table are a nice addition, plus you have access to the free Hampton breakfast which is pretty good for chain hotel food. The indoor pool is nice for winter visits. Outdoor pool and a really small lazy river available in the summer. Great beach access and certainly close to all the tacky Myrtle Beach attractions like mini-golf and pancake houses.

• Liked — Suites are great.
  • Disliked — Parking deck is a little crowded with narrow spaces.
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled with friends
6 Thank kevboom

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (631)
  • Arabic first
Ft. Lauderdale
Reviewed January 1, 2008

We stayed at the Hampton Inn for 5 days/5 nights. There were 3 adults and 2 children. We had a 2 bedroom suite, which had 2 bathrooms. The kids' room had a bunk bed and a queen sized bed for my mom, their grandmother. Our room had a king-sized bed. The suite was a good size, with spacious enough rooms. The beds were comfortable. Except for some mildew in the bathrooms, it was clean and housekeeping did a good job of straightening up. Breakfast was included and saved us some money each morning. They had a variety of warm and cold breakfast items. The staff was warm and helpful. It was our first time staying at this chain and we would definitely do it again!

As for Myrtle Beach, itself, I would not recommend it in the winter, unless you like the cold. It's also practically a ghost town at this time of year. The summer is their big tourist season and apparently until then, the town is dead! The one good thing there is Broadway at the Beach, which has everything for the kids: Imax, Magi Quest, mini amusement park, Aquarium, etc. Not to mention the restaurants and shopping for the adults. It's basically the main attraction in Myrtle Beach, aside from the beach. It was so cold, no one swam, except for one surfer. New Year's Eve here was uneventful. They had no fireworks when the clock struck 12:00 a.m.! Apparently, they had fireworks at 8:00 p.m. at Broadway at the Beach.

• Liked — Breakfast and room comfort.
  • Disliked — The mildew in the bathrooms.
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
Houston, Texas
Reviewed October 26, 2007

Located at a good wide long stretch of the ocean beach. Has a free parking garage. There are four pools and a small 'lazy river'. Short boardwalk access to the beach. Hotel was in very good condition and was very comfortable.

• Liked — location on beach, comfortable
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank BigTXN
York, PA
Reviewed October 13, 2007

This hotel was wonderful. My wife and I stayed at this Hampton Inn for our honeymoon were very impressed. From the time we arrived at the Hampton till the time we left everything was very clean and the employees were very friendly. This hotel offered a great view from our room. Also, the employees at the front desk were very knowledgeable about the area and many key restaurants and attractions. We would recommend that if you plan on going to Myrtle Beach, you should definitely consider this hotel.

• Liked — Great View
  • Disliked — none worth mentioning
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank VDubJetta
Wake Forest, NC
Reviewed October 9, 2007

This was our 4th visit and we were disappointed as we have had nothing bad to say in the previous visits.

We requested the same side of the hotel as always and upon arrival we were told that side was full. I had requested in my reservations as always what side I wanted and somehow my request was totally ignored even though we had made the reservation weeks in advance. The lady at the desk was rude and said she thought the side I requested had a "hideous" view. What kind of employee would say that about their hotel? She told us we could come down the next morning and try to get moved. My husband went down the next morning and they said they would move us and they would call, but if we had not heard anything by noon to call them.. Of course we did not hear from them and my husband had to go down. They said they had called earlier but no one answered. I don't know why they could not have left a message. We had lived out of the suitcase which was a nuisance the night before so we would not have so much stuff to re pack.

We moved to the other side with the "hideous" view. The room had a very stale odor. We had to spray everytime we came back into the room. The rocking chair on the balcony was peeling and everytime you got out of it you had to wipe your skin off. The pillows needed to be replaced, but other than that the room was fine.

We only ate breakfast at the hotel one morning. There was no one attending the area, the food needed to be replenished and there was no table available to sit at. The trash was overflowing out of the can and still no one in sight.

Like I said earlier, this was our fourth visit and may have been our last. We have always gotten our reservation requests in the past and been treated kindly and with respect by the staff, but I am sad to say it was not the case this time. They need to realize that the staff is representative of their hotel. It only takes one employee to ruin a good reputation. It definitely put a damper on the start of our vacation. We are planning a visit to Myrtle Beach in November, but we will be staying elsewhere. They certainly did not seem to appreciate returning customers so I guess they will not care.

• Liked — Clean
  • Disliked — Odor in room
10 Thank BHounds
Durham, NC
Reviewed October 7, 2007

Stayed at this Hampton last weekend (Sept 28-30) after staying there in July 2005 to rave reviews. The hotel is still quite nice with good service, clean rooms (mostly), and above-average free breakfast.

This year, we stayed on the 12th floor which is up there a bit. However, the elevators were not a problem as they arrived quickly with one exception (during checkout on Sunday morning).

The room showed a slight bit of wear and tear with mildew along the ridge between the shower tile and wall (easily fixed if the hotel would remove the caulking and replace it) and a few carpet stains. Otherwise, the hotel was still very clean, especially for Myrtle Beach.

The pools had an interesting mix of temperatures. The outdoor pool was only warm when in direct sunlight (fwiw, the outside highs were 87 Friday, 81 Saturday, and 79 Sunday). The lazy river was always warm, and the covered pool was cool on Friday but heated to a great temperature on Saturday and Sunday.

I would still recommend this hotel to visitors but also believe management needs to take a little more care to ensure it remains among the top ranked in Myrtle Beach.

On a side note, the beach was almost non-existent during the mid-morning high tides and flies were a weird problem on Friday afternoon (though the winds seemed to correct that problem the other two days).

• Liked — Overall cleanliness, breakfast, price for quality level, service
  • Disliked — A few areas of showing a bit of wear (mildew in shower)
6 Thank jsb23nc
New Hampshire
Reviewed September 19, 2007

This past weekend, 9/15-9/16, I was in Myrtle Beach for my father's surprise party, and our accommodations were at the Hampton Inn and Suites.

First of all, I will let you know, I spent four years working in the hospitality industry, so I am VERY nitpicky when it comes to staying in hotels.

The Hampton Inn and Suites in Myrtle Beach is a fantastic property, and would definitely stay there again. We had a 2 bedroom oceanfront suite on the 9th floor. Upon entering the room, I was pleased by the spacious kitchen, which included stove, microwave, full-size refrigerator, dishwasher and dishes, plus a nice counter seperating the kitchen from the sitting area.

The room itself was VERY big, big "living room," plus 2 seperate bedrooms. My 9 year old was thrilled that one of the rooms had bunk beds, so he was in heaven. The beds were VERY comfortable and I slept like a baby. Unfortunately, I got the short straw, and didn't get to stay in the oceanfront bedroom, with it's own seperate bathroom, but oh well.

The breakfast was excellent, the breakfast area very spacious and appealing to the eyes. We spent a lot of time on the beach and in the pool area, and actually felt sad when we had to leave. I have lived in apartments that were smaller than the room we were in...it was absolutely gorgeous. I give it a 5 out of 5.

Now....as I said earlier, I DID work in hospitality, and I have NEVER stayed in a perfect hotel, so, I DO have a couple negatives about the property...nothing major though....

-carpet in the room had a big stain in the entryway.....could have easily been shampooed.
-breakfast room was VERY busy. I understand it was a Sunday morning, but still VERY busy. Staff did a great job keeping everything stocked though. Alot of people had to eat standing up
-pool area, while quite ample, was nothing to be impressed with. The lazy river is TINY, REALLY TINY, and pools under the building were "boring."
-The kids play area was just ok....could be a little bigger.
-Elevators were PAINFULLY slow. We waited at times for 5 minutes for the elevator, and then it stopped on every floor. Nothing pisses me off when people get on on the second floor to go to the first. TAKE THE STAIRS!

These were very minor inconveniences that I could easily overlook. I would still give this property a 5 out of 5, and I can see why it is the #1 rated property in Myrtle Beach.

Hope this helped!

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Mediocre pool area...SLOW elevators.
6 Thank cgarrett